F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What should have been a 2 hour drive to the campground was over 4 hours today. We were towing our travel trailer into a steady 30+ mile an hour head/cross wind. We were getting blown all over and got about 6 mpg. The EcoBeast spent most of the time in 4th gear despite my many attempts to get it to hold 6th like usual when I tow. It got so bad I finally got off the expressway and took back country highways. My milage jumped up to about 10mpg but we had to take it slow. Once off the e-way I could hold 6th gear again since the wind direction was hitting us at a little better angle. The sway control on my hitch did a pretty good job of bringing everything back in line after a gust, and the trucks electronic sway control never kicked in that I know of. I love this truck, but it sure wasn't any fun to drive today.

SPPD

·
Registered
537 Posts
Now in all due fairness, let's give credit where credit is due. Meaning that it is not the truck that you didn't like driving today, it was the trailer that you didn't like towing today. Without the trailer, the trip and truck would have been a pleasure.....Right?

·
Registered
943 Posts
We had a couple of pulls like that when were down South, rough roads, windy, and lots of traffic. Very tiring. Our trucks seem to be very sensitive to wind, temperature, and how fast we drive them. If you want good gas mileage stay out of the wind, don't drive when it's cold, and keep the speed down.:cool:

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Now in all due fairness, let's give credit where credit is due. Meaning that it is not the truck that you didn't like driving today, it was the trailer that you didn't like towing today. Without the trailer, the trip and truck would have been a pleasure.....Right?
Ha ha I never thought of it like that, but maybe I should have lol.
Yes without the trailer in tow the drive would have been stellar! That white knuckle feeling is never fun thats for sure.

SPPD

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Made a couple trips like that but was a few years ago. Pulled a 24' Haulmark Race Trailer from Houston up to home in N. Illinois into a hard fall north wind. 90 Dually had a 460 that was sucking a gallon down every 3 miles. Did same, pulled onto back highways and set cruise at 50 mph and just rode it out. That was one tough trip. I feel your pain!

I'm sure our F150's would do much better than that old technology! Your's proved it!

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Made a couple trips like that but was a few years ago. Pulled a 24' Haulmark Race Trailer from Houston up to home in N. Illinois into a hard fall north wind. 90 Dually had a 460 that was sucking a gallon down every 3 miles. Did same, pulled onto back highways and set cruise at 50 mph and just rode it out. That was one tough trip. I feel your pain!

I was out your way when it got really bad. I pulled off on the Dekalb oasis to rest my hands (white knuckles) lol. I really hate wb 88 with all the bridges that block the wind for a second and then when you pass it the wind smacks the side of your trailer. I ended up jumping back on and made it to Dixon before getting off. I just couldn't take it anymore.

SPPD

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Yup, it was seriously windy here yesterday and you're right about the bridges. Also fun can be passing a semi truck as the hitch passes the front of the semi getting pushed sidways. Next time, jump off on Peace Rd, go south to the t intersection, turn right to the stop sign then left. That puts you on Rt 23 south. Take that to Rt. 30 and go west from there. Its a pretty drive and definately isn't as intense. I use that route from the race track in Cordova often!

Glad you made it safely!

·
Registered
943 Posts
SPPD, did you get your rig back home Ok?

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
SPPD, did you get your rig back home Ok?
Yes Wayne. Thanks for asking.

With the exception of the drive out it was a great camping trip. The wife and kids had a great time. Did some hiking, some camp cooking, and celebrated Mothers Day. The drive back was uneventful and we spent last night with my Mother and Grandmother.

SPPD

·
Registered
589 Posts
Yeah Crossed winds will be a heartache no matter what size rig you are using to pull with. But I am glad you guys made it back safely!

·
Registered
943 Posts
Glad you made it home safe and sound.

Are you still happy with the Andersen hitch?

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Glad you made it home safe and sound.

Are you still happy with the Andersen hitch?
Thanks!
I am still really impressed with the Andersen. It would pull the trailer right back in line when I would get blasted by the wind. The weight distrubution works very well and my truck feels nicely planted up front. I don't think any hitch would have helped much in those conditions.

SPPD

·
Registered
943 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I'm still thinking I will get an Andersen hitch.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Glad you made it safely and that nothing got damaged. Cross winds are a pain when towing.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
6 Participants
AKSilverboost
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing