F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 254 Posts

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Until I changed the oil on my 13 F150 Ecoboost.... :devil:

I'm 50 years old and have been changing oil in vehicles since my Dad would let me sometime in my "tweens"... :) You do the math.. ;)

This thing was the WORST vehicle of all times to change the oil in... I did the first change at 2800 miles from the dealer (free oil change coupon).. They over filled it by 1 full QT and who knows if they even changed it at all... Ok, there was some oil residue under the filter, so I'm pretty sure they did it...

I'm now at 6500 miles and decided to change the oil myself.. Got me the correct $6 MC filter from Walmart and they only had MC Semi Syn 5W20 oil on the shelf, so I picked up my usual make and 5W30 oil I've been using for many years.. (it did cost $10 more for the 5 QT jug)

I've checked out the underside of the rig before doing this and did find it totally stupid.. But, decided I'd try it anyway..

Figured out that the big cover comes off with little effort and that lets you get to the oil pan drain..

Since day one, I could see the oil filter from the top, but didn't see any access from below, but saw that there was also an access point to get out of the way and at least reach up and grab the filter...

Read some posts about how the filter has a "tray" to direct the oil from removing the filter either to the "front or the back" depending on how it's sitting and even read about how others have had the same issues I ultimately had.... ;) (totally stained my driveway with oil)

Well, I warmed the engine up and even thou it's a 4x4, I can't get under it like I could with my 97 4x4 F150 , so I put my ramps out on the driveway and kept it as level as I could and started to do a simple oil change..

DAMN...

It was hot out, so I took a lot of breaks to drink a beer or two and CUSS the HELL out of this thing...

It's a good thing I don't have very big muscles on my arms, as that was the only way I was able to get to the filter to remove it.. The access from the bottom was not going to happen..

Maybe I'm a total dufas and don't have a clue on these 21st Century rigs, but DAMN...

I finally did get the filter off and the new one on, but DAMN.... :)

So, there is my story and I'll let you guys tell me how much of a dufas I am and how you didn't spill a drop of oil and take it... :)

Mitch

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh yeah, I didn't put the the stupid cover back on under it either... What the heck does that thing do anyway?? I see that's it's really clean on the trans pan and the oil pan, but that thing has got to keep a lot of heat under there?? Don't you want the heat to dissipate from the air flow under the truck??

Anyway, I forgot to mention that I burned my forearm on the exhaust pipe and it's pissing my off with the pain still... Gonna leave a good mark for sure! :)

I love this truck and this is just my first attempt at the oil change and I hope I learn from it, and next time I'll have a 10x10 tarp under it as it's diaper so I don't stain my driveway anymore than it already is!

So, does that cover really need to be there, or is it just something I need to keep, but don't need to worry about having it in place??

Mitch

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
Service contract brother....the one thing I go to dealer for... Oil changes with motorcraft full synthetic...and a tire rotation every 5k.

Did first oil change myself, and said no thanks to any more. :)

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, since the truck was overfilled with oil when I first bought it and again after it's first oil change (same dealer), I don't have much faith in their ability to do it right either... ;)

Hell, how do I know they even put 5W30 in it?? It said so in the invoice and on the sticker they put on my windshield, but I can't find 5W30 MC oil anyplace?? I'll bet they put in 5W20 and just said it was 30... ;)

I've always done my own oil changes because it's usually an easy thing to do and gets me in my "man cave" for an hour or so without the wife! Ha, ha! :)

I know it's a new rig and I have to learn how it's done and all, but DAMN... I'll be better prepared next time and I'll wear a long sleeve shirt next time! :)

Mitch

·
Registered
682 Posts
Totally agree ridiculous oil filter access. I ditched the diaper after first winter with it in place.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
Yeah Mitch I'm lucky to have a good dealership with a cool service manager.

But no doubt, they can still screw up...and have.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yeah Mitch I'm lucky to have a good dealership with a cool service manager. But no doubt, they can still screw up...and have.
I am getting ready to perform my first pill change on mine. This sounds like it ought to be a blast. I was told the removable panel was for helping to keep down road noise in the cab.

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
Draining:
Fumoto valve for the win.
http://www.qwikvalve.com/

That's the easy part.

Oil filter:
Ramps, tilt that truck back some.
Slide in against the inside of the driver's tire from the front on your right side.
Position catch pan under the square hole in the galvanized skid plate.
Undo the six quarter turn latches at junction between front bumper and cross member.
Fold the rubber liner out of the way.
Left arm, straight up through hole.
Right hand, push the lower air dam forward and away from your elbow.
Bend elbow and your hand should be on the filter.
Unscrew filter a turn or two until it just starts to drain. Oil will hit tray and should run out the back and into your catch pan.
Slowly do this until filter comes off.
Turn filter open side up, and carefully remove through access hole.

This is much easier than the oldsmobile that my sister had in high school...I had to pull the passenger tire to change the oil in it.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Yep, did one myself and that will be the last unless they come up with a good aftermarket filter relocation fitting. Long story short I was scrubbing my driveway with dish detergent for the 2 hours following the oil change. Learned that it's one of the most effective at oil stain removal during my days of scrubbing the pads at Shell when I was 15...
My dealer also broke my trust with their Valvoline 5w _ 20 drum oil. Now I buy my own and take it to a small automotive shop with seasoned mechanics.

-Will my opinion void my warranty?

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
Thanks Scap.

If only my time didn't command such a high value

Seriously. Great info.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dang... I saw those square rubber things and that's what I removed to drain the residual oil from... Never thought about sticking my arm thru them however??

I'll just put on my Hazmat suit next time and cover the driveway with a tarp and get a set of sandpaper gloves and that filter might be a bit easier to get out..

Mitch

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
Thanks Scap.

If only my time didn't command such a high value

Seriously. Great info.
I was just piddling yesterday.
I can drain the oil unattended, thanks to the valve and a couple feet of vinyl tubing.

The filter is maybe a five minute swap.

Takes longer to pour in the fresh oil with out spilling than it does to swap the filters.

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
I was just piddling yesterday.
I can drain the oil unattended, thanks to the valve and a couple feet of vinyl tubing.

The filter is maybe a five minute swap.

Takes longer to pour in the fresh oil with out spilling than it does to swap the filters.
I would say something funny here, but I don't want to derail the thread.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Totally agree ridiculous oil filter access. I ditched the diaper after first winter with it in place.

Neolise, not sure if your aware but ford like others has a big problem with oil pan's rotting out on their trucks.
I'm not sure if the cover is suppose to help with this or not but it sure beats the $1000 it costs to have it replaced.
If you live in an ares where salt is used on the roads it may be worth it to leave it on.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Yeah I imagine there might be a draw back. But i was getting tired of picking it up off the road after it would load up with snow and ice every week and fly off! :beer:

·
Registered
869 Posts
Maybe my 2011 is different, but I changed the oil yesterday in about 15 minutes. I have the Fumoto valve. I don't even put the truck on ramps. Hook rubber hose to valve and place end in container. Open valve. When done draining close valve. Move oil container to below filter. Remove square rubber thing under filter. Unscrew filter reaching down from top of engine. Install new filter. Fill with oil. Easy peasy.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I also installed a Fumoto valve, haven't used it yet, next oil change is in 3.5K. But you think our trucks suck, try doing a 2011 Toyota 4runner. You have to drop about 3 skid plate, and the filter isn't a screw type, it's diesel type under a huge cover that you have to buy Toyota's tool (38MM socket) just to get to. Said F-this after the first and take it in now.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Going to have to consider that F valve.. Getting the drain plug off was no problem, but when it came rushing out from the side, hitting a cross member and then spattering all over the place, I could only put the pan under where it was draining the most! :)

The filter was my biggest issue.. I had to grab a piece of sand paper, hold it in my gloved hand to tighten the thing from below. I took it off from above and my arm just barely fits...

Anyway, what a learning experience and at least the beer was cold and the HD Classic Rock station was sounding good in the "Man Cave".. :)

Thanks for all the suggestions for next time!

Mitch

1 - 20 of 254 Posts