F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

241 - 254 of 254 Posts

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
I've typically just filled with the amount spec'd in the manual (from memory, 5.7 L), and it's been dead on.

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
Yes, but I am one of those weirdos how likes to check. You never know if you have a leak, or (heaven forbid) the oil company short changed you!

I noticed Oil Companies (and many others) like changing the size of the containers from one size to another. Mobile 1 use to be 5 Litres years ago, then it became 4.4 Litres and now it's 4 Litres. And some other companies are using 3.78 Litres .... to equate to a US Gallon.

When Canada went Metric, it was to standardize. Instead it allows for "packaging rip offs" by companies. Like candy bars getting smaller and smaller each year (for the same price) and then a NEW BIGGER JUMBO SIZE (at extra cost) comes out, which happens to be the same size it was a few years previous.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Grim Reaper, I hear ya. Walmart likes to bring stuff to Canada that may not be selling well in the USA and like you I watch the jug sizing. I've seen Pennzoil Ultra at Walmart in 3.78 capacity and the exact same jug beside it marked 5.0 liters. Different pricing and usually the 3.78 is on sale. Also Canadian Tire will usually have their Pennzoil Ultra 5 liter on sale too. Then if you take it a step further and calculate the cost per liter it's better to buy from Canadian Tire when both are on sale (cost per liter).

Ever noticed the Mobile 1 4.4 liter jug on sale and the "give" you an extra 1 liter container!

Oh and I do measure the amount of oil I put in my dual relocated filters and add a measured 6 liters to the pan!!!

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
.... Oh and I do measure the amount of oil I put in my dual relocated filters and add a measured 6 liters to the pan!!!
Who's filter relocation kit do you use? I like the dual filters too. And do you use a Fumoto valve too?

·
Registered
301 Posts
Who's filter relocation kit do you use? I like the dual filters too. And do you use a Fumoto valve too?
I had installed a Fumoto valve early in the life of my truck. Hated the stock drain plug location and mess it created. I have the 107N valve. I just put a short length of vinyl tube on it directly into an empty oil jug and let it drain.

I installed a Derale Kit # 15749. Here's a link; Relocation Kits : Dual Mount Universal Oil Filter Relocation Kit, 1/2" NPT Ports, 3/4"-16 Filter Thread

I ported the block adaptor as it had many sharp edges in the flow path. Did the same to the filter relocation adaptor. I also smoothed the brass NPT hose adaptors. I used hydraulic hose clamps instead of the kit supplied worm clamps. I also put hose protectors around the hoses(overkill).

I use the large filters (XG8A) that hold 650 ml of oil each and pre-fill them before installation. Try that with the stock filter!!! I haven't measured how much oil a stock filter holds but I'm guessing 250-400 ml. They are small in surface area.

Initially I had bought adaptors to use stock filters in the dual adaptor and when I saw the oil pressure was normal with the relocation kit I switched to the larger dual filters and oil pressure was the same.

Check my photo albums for some pics.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I finally got around to installing my Amsoil bypass filter setup after looking through this thread and seeing some of the other owners that had done the same on their trucks. There’s a lot of good ideas for location and I ended up finding a good place with easy access on the lower core support behind the intercooler.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I finally got around to installing my Amsoil bypass filter setup after looking through this thread and seeing some of the other owners that had done the same on their trucks. There’s a lot of good ideas for location and I ended up finding a good place with easy access on the lower core support behind the intercooler. View attachment 163688 View attachment 163689
Forgot to take the last pic with the filters installed. Was in a hurry to wrap up the work, close up the shop and get home since it killed my Sunday!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Forgot to take the last pic with the filters installed. Was in a hurry to wrap up the work, close up the shop and get home since it killed my Sunday!
Can you get some photos of the adapter that connects to the factory filter spot? Can’t see exactly the hose routes.

Thanks. I’ve been looking at the same setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
I finally got around to installing my Amsoil bypass filter setup after looking through this thread and seeing some of the other owners that had done the same on their trucks. There’s a lot of good ideas for location and I ended up finding a good place with easy access on the lower core support behind the intercooler. View attachment 163688 View attachment 163689
Kinda curious how the oil will look after you get some miles on this. I put one on my diesel jeep and it still comes out pretty sooty.

Also, fyi, you can use a Fram Ultra XG8A as the main filter on these. Its the same size and thread as the Amsoil filter. Its 1/2 the price and, from what I have heard it is a better filter than what amsoil makes.

·
Administrator
7,814 Posts
Also, fyi, you can use a Fram Ultra XG8A as the main filter on these. Its the same size and thread as the Amsoil filter. Its 1/2 the price and, from what I have heard it is a better filter than what amsoil makes.
Do you have specs or any proof to back this up? From everything I have watched and read, Fram oil filters being produced today are still junk.

·
Registered
4,605 Posts
I think the top of the line fram filters are synthetic and have good drain back. I would still never use them. Once you lost reputation I wont go back, especially on an oil item lol.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #252 (Edited)
Okay, I started this post a long time ago and have since learned how to change the oil in this truck without hardly any issues, much less any major oil spills like that first time....

Well today, I found a NEW thing that happened to me on my routine oil change that caused me a major ass ache..

So, I go thru my normal routine and drain the oil, get the filter off with nary a drip.... Start filling the crankcase and I had put the oil filler cap on the top of the radiator degas tank (or whatever the hell it's called) like I have always done... (so I don't lose or forget the cap...)

Well, I managed to knock the cap off and heard it hit only one time.... Oh, oh... Look under the truck.. No cap.. Okay, it might have gone in the diaper thing.. So, crawl under and take it off (again) and no cap.. Oh, oh..

Go back on top and with my mag light, look everywhere it will shine and not a sign of it... Oh, oh..

Look up from underneath and still nothing.. Jam my hand and arm anywhere it can fit and nothing... Oh, oh...

So this is about 15 minutes into the situation and I figure I'm effed... So I stuff a rag into the oil fill hole and start it up, check the level and then get the idea to back down the driveway and slam the brakes and see what happens... I have a rather steep driveway, so what the hell.....

As luck would have it, I did it and pulled back into the garage... Lo and behold... Laying on my driveway was the cap!!

I grabbed it and held it in the air and then kissed it and said a few choice words and popped another beer and put it back on the truck!... Oh, I might have had a few too many beers BEFORE doing the oil change in the first place, but that's beside the point.. The Seahawks were playing and somehow eeked out a very lucky win, and so did I with my finding my oil cap that just disappeared into the depths of hell in this engine compartment.... Ha, ha...

So, lessons learned from this latest round of my latest oil change screw ups... When removing the oil cap, put it in a place that will NOT fall into the depths of HELLLLL.... And.... maybe not consume as many beers while watching a football game in your man cave/garage and working on your truck!!! Well, the consumption of the beers is a must in the man cave... Might just have to get the major parts of vehicle maintenance done first! ha, ha,...

The whole time, I kept thinking to myself.. If I had this on video, no one would believe it!! :)

Mitch

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
This brings back a bad memory for me in spades. Helping a friend change a camshaft in a 67 Shelby with a transplanted 427 side oiler. It was late at night and the car was all but done. My friend dropped one of the last few valve cover bolts left to install. We heard it go tink, tink into the abyss. Of course we spent a half an hour looking for this bolt to no avail.

In my head the worst of all scenarios had happened. The other guys standing around watching said “there is no way” when I told them where I thought the bolt might have gone. Well the fuel pump was still off of the engine and the thought occurred to me that the only place this bolt could have gone was in fuel pump shaft hole and down the timing chain cover and likely into the oil pan. Of course a big block FE shoveled into a Mustang with headers makes taking the oil pan off a couple of hours job. There was a brief discussion that if it had made it to the oil pan that it probably wasn’t going anywhere. Of course that mindset lasted about 30 seconds. None of us would have left a big buck engine in that state.

We of course pulled the oil pan and there it was, sitting on the edge of the windage tray. Every time over the past 20 years that I‘ve dropped a part and it doesn’t hit the ground this thought goes through my mind. Your post brought a smile to my face.

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
Oh the bolts, nuts and sockets that have fallen off but got hung up somewhere on my past cars.

Wife was riding with me a few years back. After driving down the road for a bit, we hear "ting, ting, ting" and the wife says "What's that". I said "Probably that socket I lost a few months ago when I was working on the car".

241 - 254 of 254 Posts