F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone heard of any bulletins about idling down the motor after hard turbo use. When I had my 1986 Grand National it was common knowledge to let the motor idle before shutting it down after beating on it.
The reason was that the oil in the turbo line on the turbo would cook because of the high temperature. It would cause coking and eventually clog the oil feed to the turbo.
Technology has advanced over the years but I wonder if this is an issue with the Ecoboost Engine's turbos.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I wondered the same thing but i guess its not like a diesel when it comes to long cool down waits but its good practice to let it idle for a minute to just let everything come to normal. I personally let mine sit ( when I can ) for a minute or two just for piece of mind.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Our GN's turbo is oil cooled as you know. So the oil takes the brunt of the heat as it is the cooling media. We'd idle to continue the flow of oil (cooling media). Our Ecoboost's turbos are water cooled so that's a big plus and I've been told that coolant continues to circulate through the turbos after the engine is off. I'm assuming this happens due to temperature differentials created by the heat in the turbos. Its like a problem that solves itself. The Ecoboost's coolant line is part of a closed pressurized system so when the heat drives the coolant off of the turbo shaft more coolant is displaced in to continue cooling. The GN's turbo oil return line gravity feeds the oil back to a non pressurized crankcase so unless the oilpump is running oil cooling stops....and oil cooking starts.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
5 Participants
Nasty Wendy
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing