F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about upgrading vehicles this fall and wondering if I should just be patient and wait for the 15's or go ahead and get a 2013 at a good year-end price and let them work out the kinks of a new model and look to upgrade in 2016-2017.

My last two vehicles have been Chevy Avalanches (2009 and current 2011).

I bought a new 31' camper this year and while the Avalanche has plenty of power, with the shorter wheelbase the camper really pushes the truck around.

I am not really liking the new 2014 Silverado. I think they really dropped the ball on the new restyling.

So, what do you guys think? Do I deal with the average towing capability of the Avalanche for another year, or just get a 2013 right now?

Thanks for any input you may have.

NDKoze

·
Registered
360 Posts
I questioned the same thing.... even wanted to wait for a 2014, but they wont start production on those until around October I hear... I need a truck by the end of the year because my father in-law has agreed to buy mine and wants it soon, so the 2013 was really the only option. I figure taking the best price possible on a 3rd year design is a good bet.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
How could you live with yourself driving an Avalanche?, might as well been driving a Honda Ridgeline! Just kidding.........Not Really! On a less harassing note, I was told by the dealership that the next body style F150 is going to be a unibody with a max tow rating of like 9800 lbs. If that is true then I would rather take advantage of the rebates and drive a "pickup" with 11,300 lbs. It will have a higher tow rating/payload then chevy or dodge for like the next 3 years.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Tough call! I think you just gotta decide how much extra $$ the new model will be worth. I'm sure there will be zero rebates available when it first comes out.

I'll be ready to trade it though :)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually the Avalanche is miles ahead of a Ridgeline IMO. Way bigger and about 4 MPG better on gas. Plus not as cheap looking/feeling. OK, I'll quit being so defensive now.

I heard the unibody rumor too, but didn't realize that the tow rating would go down so far.

I find that kind of hard to believe that they won't try to beat the new Chevy's (2014 are now 11,500) by at least 100-200 pounds or so and go up to 11,600 or 11,700. This sounds like a rumor started by Ford Dealerships to sell their remaining 2013 models.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I kinda had the same feeling when I left the dealership. I hope they keep increasing the tow rating, I really dont want to buy a diesel if I need more tow rating.

·
Registered
75 Posts
So then in 2015 are you gonna wait for the next year, and then the next? You gotta pull the trigger sometime. I wouldn't wait unless you have some other compelling reason. It's just like anything else, as soon as you buy it, something newer/better will be just around the corner.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I went through the same questions and ended up buying my '13 a month ago.

Decided I wouldn't want a completely redesigned truck until it had been out for a couple of years and didn't want to wait that long. The current incentives were attractive as well.

Fords supposedly taking about 700 lbs out of the truck. I guess I want to see how successful they are.

2013 SuperCrew XLT XTR Kodiak Brown Ecoboost 145"WB 302A package, Max Tow package

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So then in 2015 are you gonna wait for the next year, and then the next? You gotta pull the trigger sometime. I wouldn't wait unless you have some other compelling reason. It's just like anything else, as soon as you buy it, something newer/better will be just around the corner.
That's a good point. Because if the rumors are true tha the 2015s will start hitting dealer lots in May, there most likely will not be much for discounts until Q1-Q2 of 2016.

And if this whole Unibody 8900 pound towing capacity baloney is true, that would be a deal killer for me.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Buy now. Enjoy now. Then after 3 years trade again.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I also can't believe the tow rating would be reduced on the 2015 F150. That just isn't logical in the battle for the most capable truck.

There's really no way to answer the original question without knowing the weight of the trailer. I would be concerned about the payload rating of the Avalanche, around 1,300 pounds?? Depending on the weight of the 31' trailer the tongue weight may be around 800 or 900 pounds. Not much remaining for people and cargo.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Buy now! For all the reasons above! Make sure you go maxtow with a trailer that size you will be much more comfortable with the added payload and all else that comes with MaxTow!

SPPD

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I know I am pushing my limits with the Avalanche, thus the reason to be looking for a new truck. I only 75 miles or less on flat ground (ND Plains), and take my time. I figure loaded the Trailer, is about 7,000 pounds. The Max Trailer Capacity of the Avalanche is 7,900, GVWR 7,200, GCWR 14,000. I am looking at Platinum Ecoboost Trucks and my requirements are definitely to get the Max Tow with Power Telescoping/Folding Mirrors. Thanks for all the help. My decision is now pretty much made. Now to find the right truck for the right price.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts