F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Install the AMS inlet tubes already!! These things are like magic for the 17 3.5!! Crazy decrease in spool time and throttle response, capability to hold more load at higher rpms than i had before.

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
Install the AMS inlet tubes already!! These things are like magic for the 17 3.5!! Crazy decrease in spool time and throttle response, capability to hold more load at higher rpms than i had before.
How did ford do such a shitty job with the stock ones? And when will they make them for my 2014!?

·
Registered
277 Posts
I kinda fail to see how changing the inlet to the turbo would change the spool time? Unless its because it doesn't have to work so hard to pull the air?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, the same tune i had on there overshoots my boost targets now, i have to fix it. Whereas before it would smoothly come into boost and hit 20 psi, it jumps to 23 psi, it definitely spools harder and faster.

also my stock 17 turbos are flowing 56-57 lb/min whereas before i was at 52-53 max.

If any of this means anything to you, you'll know i've proven they work.

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
I kinda fail to see how changing the inlet to the turbo would change the spool time? Unless its because it doesn't have to work so hard to pull the air?
Less vacuum being generated at the inducer of the compressor. Turbos are volume limited. If you can increase the density of that volume then you can flow more mass.

This is why I think a CAI can be beneficial if you are near the turbos flow limits as well. I just don't get how Ford could make the actual tubes so restrictive that you can magically pick up 4 lb/min. I'd kill someone for 4 lb.

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
Strange thought... would reducing the restriction at the inlet also result in a drop in IAT?
Ha, like the drag heats the air?

I think it might put a piece of cardboard over my air filter and see what happens.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Ha, like the drag heats the air?

I think it might put a piece of cardboard over my air filter and see what happens.
Oh, I'm not expecting to see a 20F IAT drop across the board. But it is a restriction, and at sufficiently high flow rates...

·
Premium Member
563 Posts
Well, we will find out...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Definitely interested to see how you do that one

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
Well, we will find out...

Are the inlets on the 2nd gen turbos the same size as the first gen? I was told by the guy that built my jeep turbo that he didnt think more than 42mm would fit on the spare 2014 turbos I sent him. He said the wall thickness on the inlet would be paper thin. Now we hear CRP is gunna stuff 46's into the 2nd gen turbos.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Are these inlet tubes plastic? Also I don’t remember are you running E85?

·
Premium Member
2,284 Posts
Definitely interested to see how you do that one

I don’t think it will be a walk in the park, but I’m genuinely curious and found a used set for cheap enough to try.

I’m guessing PCV fittings and mounting will be the biggest challenge. I’m also assuming that I’ll have to make a 2015+ intake work somehow.

Anyway. I’ll share what a find.

·
Premium Member
2,284 Posts
Are the inlets on the 2nd gen turbos the same size as the first gen? I was told by the guy that built my jeep turbo that he didnt think more than 42mm would fit on the spare 2014 turbos I sent him. He said the wall thickness on the inlet would be paper thin. Now we hear CRP is gunna stuff 46's into the 2nd gen turbos.
Well, I’m running 2019 Raptor Turbos and my Stock Boost inlet tubes fit.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts