F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

261 - 280 of 289 Posts

·
Registered
5,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #261
The shroud was fun wasn't it??? Blnkety blankin' thing is tough to get started but after a few clips it get easy. Other than that my install was simple. And now I farting with BOVG's and have the removal and install down to 15 minutes (TurboSmart electrical connection plug was out of specification and did not fit to seat, they are sending me a new plug). KM
Oh good tk know about that bov. I was actually looking at that one. Do you have a 2.7 right? For some reason I think you do but maybe I’m wrong, I noticed the cold side pipe on those isn’t as huge and stiff as in the 3.5. That was the major pain in the butt because that sucker would not move at all backwards or forwards when I was trying to get the intercooler and in the bov past it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,033 Posts

·
Registered
5,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #263 (Edited)
Can you give a summary. Truck was making noise...and it is now fixed? So you're onto modifying it?
Me?
You talking about the thumping sound that at the very least 12 other f150's I've driven also had, two of those I owned?
Lol The loaner they gave me while this truck got it’s turbos replaced due to extreme wastegate rattle was a 2019 3.5 with 3500 miles on it and the thumping was louder than any other one I’ve driven, as well as the wastegate rattle.

One good thing though, I went ahead and bought the warranty from 5 Star which covers all these parts if the dealership denies repair

If you've been around long enough you may have noticed I’m pretty OCD when it comes to this stuff, I’ve talk to no less than another dozen people with the sound as well seems to be fairly common, some of those guys noticed it right off the lot and now have 80,000 miles plus no issues. All my oil analysis come back perfect.

so everything that was a possible issue or just a nuisance to me has been fixed.

She sounds like a sewing machine. Literally the quietest (ecoboost) F150 I’ve ever owned or heard in person.

This is after driving up to 10,000 foot elevation from 1000 foot elevation, 2 Hour drive driving hard.

Not trying to brag but it actually surprises me after the dozens and dozens I’ve had as rentals while on vacation and business that sound like crap.
I just happen to get this video yesterday after the drive for a friend of mine who has a 2020 3.5 and his engine is so damn loud he was wondering what mine sounded like.

(Knock on wood) not to say there’s not a possibility Of having an issue down the line, it is a Ford after all.

·
Registered
5,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #264 (Edited)
Double post

·
Premium Member
6,296 Posts
I'm probably deaf-er?
But at 31,000 miles, I still haven't heard anything alarming from the cockpit. Obviously it's considerably louder from outside, than the heavily soundproofed interior, but mostly just fans and typical ice humming.

Her Ruby Red XLT is just as quiet outside, but she's barely put 5000 miles on it after more than a year of ownership.

I don't drive or ride in my brother's HDPP often enough to compare, but his definitely had a cold start phaser clack that I heard from standing in front of it. He is an oil change freak so when I pointed out the clatter and what it is, he reduced his interval even more. He hasn't mentioned it since, but I haven't asked either.

Nobody deserves a quiet Ecoboost more than you do. That's for certain.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
@Sirikenewtron i haven’t been frequenting the site much, but on your ‘19 both turbos were replaced?!

You need the AMS intake tubes. I wish I would’ve gotten them sooner

·
Registered
343 Posts
Oh good tk know about that bov. I was actually looking at that one. Do you have a 2.7 right? For some reason I think you do but maybe I’m wrong, I noticed the cold side pipe on those isn’t as huge and stiff as in the 3.5. That was the major pain in the butt because that sucker would not move at all backwards or forwards when I was trying to get the intercooler and in the bov past it

Yes 2.7 and the CVF came with an silicone intake elbow that is flexible, replaced the plasitc corner and the rubber joint piece. The plug on the VeePort was the correct type but would not seat all the way on the OEM harness plug. Turbosmart rep mentioned this problem. Seems they know it exists. They told me they would send a replacement at no cost will post the results after setting it up. KM

·
Registered
5,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #268
@Sirikenewtron i haven’t been frequenting the site much, but on your ‘19 both turbos were replaced?!

You need the AMS intake tubes. I wish I would’ve gotten them sooner

Yeah due to excessive wastegate rattle, which apparently most people are being told it’s normal by their dealerships, luckily I have a good relationship with my dealership So they just took care of it per my request.

here’s the before and after repair

Before :

And after:

·
Registered
5,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #270
First video I can actually hear noise and a difference.
Yup That’s why I had them change the turbos/wastegates out.
Excessive wastegate rattle.

Pretty much went in there showed them the video and told them what it was and they said, we will take care of it.
They would also rattle when slightly revving the engine. It’s funny because that 2019 loaner I had at the time was 10 times worse, and I’ll see a fellow F150 ecoboost driving around on the streets and I’ll hear that rattle every now and then.

·
Registered
5,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #271
Man Im thoroughly impressed with this intercooler.
Truck was pretty much completely heat soaked, this was after driving around for about an hour in 100degree ambient temp stop and go traffic.
Drops from 140 to 115 in a matter of seconds.

Also very impressed with this jlt intake, not only does it sound absolutely amazing it seems to be running cooler then my oem intake, about 12 degree over ambient temp when just cruising with little to no boost then drops even more when on the throttle.

·
Premium Member
6,296 Posts
Have you ever loaded the cac_temp pid just to see if your Ngauge shows a believable temperature in Fahrenheit?

·
Registered
5,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #273 (Edited)
Have you ever loaded the cac_temp pid just to see if your Ngauge shows a believable temperature in Fahrenheit?

I did, it was so close to ait2 I ended up replacing it with ait, it's fuel% right now though because I was about to do some mixing.

My ait2 Temps seem to read just slightly higher then the CAC_T

·
Premium Member
6,296 Posts
Thanks for the info.
I wonder why my cac_t is so not possibly true?

Reads far below ambient.

Be awesome if it were true. But it'd take ice-blocks cooling the CAC to get there

·
Registered
5,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #275
Thanks for the info.
I wonder why my cac_t is so not possibly true?

Reads far below ambient.

Be awesome if it were true. But it'd take ice-blocks cooling the CAC to get there

Interesting. i’m gonna have to throw it back up on the screen and pay a little more attention to it.

·
Premium Member
6,296 Posts
If yours shows legit Temps, I'm guessing my sensor is malfunctioning, or my firmware needs to be upgraded.

But I do think someone else mentioned that theirs was way below ambient too.

·
Registered
5,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #277
If yours shows legit Temps, I'm guessing my sensor is malfunctioning, or my firmware needs to be upgraded.

But I do think someone else mentioned that theirs was way below ambient too.

So it looks like my cac_t pid reads pretty much 15 deg lower then my ait2 pid but it's still about 10 deg over ambient. @snakebitten

·
Premium Member
6,296 Posts
Interesting. And thanks for going through the effort for me. You're a true gent.

My only guess is that my cac-t sensor is out of normal parameter. (voltage?)

If I figure out which sensor it is, I'm going to swap for a new one and compare. Surely the fact Ford designed that sensor into the system, implies those cac_t Temps play some role in the data processing of the truck operations. Only someone like BK or Matt would be able to explain though.

Again, thanks!

·
Registered
5,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #279
Interesting. And thanks for going through the effort for me. You're a true gent.

My only guess is that my cac-t sensor is out of normal parameter. (voltage?)

If I figure out which sensor it is, I'm going to swap for a new one and compare. Surely the fact Ford designed that sensor into the system, implies those cac_t Temps play some role in the data processing of the truck operations. Only someone like BK or Matt would be able to explain though.

Again, thanks!
I'd love to know where exactly that sensor is. The cac_t one

261 - 280 of 289 Posts