F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2013 ecoboost xlt. I've been getting the battery message shortly after turning the engine off for some time now. Went through 3 costco interstate batteries, the most recent battery was completely bad/dead after replacing it back in September. Corrosion all over the posts, looked like it was leaking from the reservoirs, etc.

Decided to buy an Optima yellow top since I've had great luck with optima blue tops in my boat since 2012. Put the new battery in, and still was getting the battery message after shutting the engine off within 30 seconds or less (brand new battery mind you).

Did some reading and tried the whole high beam/brake pedal reset trick, but that didn't seem to work. Downloaded forscan on my android and actually reset the BMS module within forscan (supposedly successfully). Seemed like it may have worked as the radio stayed on longer than 10 seconds after I'd shut the truck down. I was happy.

Then this morning rolled around, I stopped for gas after driving for 15 minutes and was going to leave the radio on for my kid in the back seat, and of course the stupid truck shut off again. Brand new battery, BMS module just reset, etc.

What on earth can I do to stop getting this stupid message? Can I just disable the whole freaking thing? I don't even care if it wants to shut the alternator off to save some gas, my gas mileage is so poor as it is with bigger wheels/tires that any miniscule that difference makes will get eaten up in one burst of accelleration.

HELP! Fed up with this dumb truck. It's 100% stock from an electronics perspective. The only thing that was plugged in overnight was my radar detector that stays on through the 12v plug and my OBD scanner was still in the OBD port on the truck. Otherwise, that's it. Stock stereo, stock everything electric.

·
Premium Member
2021 Powerboost Platinum FX4 Kodiak Brown.... Oops, I mean 2022 Powergrid KingRanch in Shiney White
12,644 Posts
I wonder if you have a parasitic draw that is taking your battery below 12.6V with engine off?

Just curious

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I got that message a couple of times on my 13. I got home after work and put the charger on the battery. Let it charge up and disconnected. The owners manual says something about the battery having to set for 8 hours straight (no starting or anything. I just did it overnight). I have a 'new' battery as well. (2019) haven't seen the message since? This was over a year ago, so dunno??

Good luck! Mitch

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm at the point to where I think I'm just going to disconnect the stupid sensor. Other's don't seem to have any issue with this having the alternator work the "old fashioned" way.

A radar detector being the only thing plugged in shouldn't really be enough to drop the voltage down that far, especially having just driven the truck for 20 minutes giving the alternator time to charge everything back up.

I'll put a multimeter on it tomorrow morning if I remember and see where my voltage stands, but I can't imagine a brand new battery is already having voltage issues.

I've about had enough of this truck between all the little issues that pop up. The only saving grace that keeps it around is that it's paid off.

·
Registered
23 Posts
A member not too long ago was experiencing weird stuff and battery light, his starter was the culprit of it all.
If you are referring to me, yes, I consistently had issues with me even after charging it I kept getting the message even after getting a new battery got to the point it didn’t start anymore and said charging system fault also. I brought it in after 6 months of being frustrated with it and they determined the starter was bad. It’s been a month and no lights since and haven’t reset the bcm? The “old” battery was built in 10/2020. It never failed to start until that day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2013 race red SCrew 4x4 air lift bags
2,097 Posts
If you are referring to me, yes, I consistently had issues with me even after charging it I kept getting the message even after getting a new battery got to the point it didn’t start anymore and said charging system fault also. I brought it in after 6 months of being frustrated with it and they determined the starter was bad. It’s been a month and no lights since and haven’t reset the bcm? The “old” battery was built in 10/2020. It never failed to start until that day.

Refresh my memory please. Did your warning message come on immediately after shutting it off?
I've been dealing with the warning message for over a year as well, a few battery life resets via forscan and same old same, it's only 2 yrs old as well.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Sometimes it was within a minute or so and sometimes it wouldn’t show the message. Always started quickly. Seemed like the longer I drove it prior to shutting it down the quicker it would turn on.
Had a few times that the FordPass app told me the battery was too low to start inside work, but if I used the remote start or used the key it started almost as quick as now. Might just be because it’s warmer now on the speed of starting. It started like once a month then it became almost daily or every other day.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Also right before it finally quite the alternator was reading 14.1v and tested battery with 13.1v with engine off. Even with a charging on it, still displayed the light.

·
Registered
2013 race red SCrew 4x4 air lift bags
2,097 Posts
Sometimes it was within a minute or so and sometimes it wouldn’t show the message. Always started quickly. Seemed like the longer I drove it prior to shutting it down the quicker it would turn on.
Had a few times that the FordPass app told me the battery was too low to start inside work, but if I used the remote start or used the key it started almost as quick as now. Might just be because it’s warmer now on the speed of starting. It started like once a month then it became almost daily or every other day.

Well, you just described my 2013's symptoms almost to the letter. How many miles on yours?

Edit: I ask because I couldn't find your post about this. Sorry to hijack.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just went ahead and unplugged the sensor. Had enough. Truck starts/runs fine, and now I can listen to the radio for longer than 2 seconds when I turn the engine off. Dumb, unnecessary technology in the name of making the left happy with their inflated gas mileage numbers.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Zim, is that the gizmo thing attached to the + battery post? Or is it some other gizmo in the system?

Thanks! Mitch

·
Premium Member
3,224 Posts
this thread might give you some insight on the system. Hope it helps (mine is still disconnected)

·
Premium Member
2021 Powerboost Platinum FX4 Kodiak Brown.... Oops, I mean 2022 Powergrid KingRanch in Shiney White
12,644 Posts
Mr. B is the archive manager today. :)
I struggle to find what I am absolutely sure must be here.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts