F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For anyone having their windshield replaced, at least on 11-14 trucks, order these parts from Ford before hand. I did the digging with my Ford guy to find the part numbers so you don't have to!
1. w708771*s300, these are what hold your cowl down and they will be broken with removal, there are 4 I believe, order 6 just in case.
2. 9l3z-14030a12-a, This is the "alignment" tab that goes at each corner of the lower windshield. So you will need 2 of these. It is for the windshield to line up how far down it goes on each side. These clips, clip into a hole into the cab and have a 1/4" thick foam o ring that is smashed down when clipped in the hole...my guess is to prevent water getting in there. Then that square piece the top push pin (you see from outside the truck) pushed into to hold the corner of the cowl down.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I'll have to check that, mines already been replaced and I doubt they used them since after asking if I had a logo windshield prior to my appointment they put the non logo glass in and when I brought their attention to the error they lied to me and said they couldn't get that one. Call to my insurance agent who recommended the shop and the correct windshield was suddenly available in two days.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'll have to check that, mines already been replaced and I doubt they used them since after asking if I had a logo windshield prior to my appointment they put the non logo glass in and when I brought their attention to the error they lied to me and said they couldn't get that one. Call to my insurance agent who recommended the shop and the correct windshield was suddenly available in two days.
Always insist on OEM glass. Otherwise you’ll get the cheapest piece of crap they can legally use.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
What does an 11-14 OEM windshield cost? Thanks for the info, I have a few major chips in mine that haven't spread yet, but will probably need replacing soon.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I'm pretty sure that I got OEM, it has SoundScreen printed on it like the original.

·
Registered
4,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think I posted in my thread what I paid, I can't remember right now. He gave me a price and I paid less with cash.

Did a bad job and never told me about these clips. I didn't start wondering about them untill I saw the passenger alignment tab fall down into the fender. The glass is just low enough I can't fit a new one in the hole, so I had to cover the hole with RTV and my cowl has a gap on it on that side as nothing there to hold it down.

·
Registered
585 Posts
What does an 11-14 OEM windshield cost? Thanks for the info, I have a few major chips in mine that haven't spread yet, but will probably need replacing soon.
I'm on my third windshield, both replacements were covered by insurance with $0 deductible.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Before you get a new windshield there is a fairly new windshield available for some 150's. Gorilla glass is the same glass that phone glass is made from and is supposed to last 5 times longer than stock. It is made by corning and while more expensive your insurance may cover it. it now comes stock on some Fords and Jeeps. Don't be surprised if you get the deer in the headlight look from a glass company when you ask if they can get it. Even if you have to pay the difference between stock the insurance co will allow replacement with gorilla glass from then on at no additional cost to you. I'm getting it put in my Rubicon and 150.

·
Registered
380 Posts
windshields are a regular replacement item here. Insurance often won't do windshield coverage in Calgary at all.

This seems expensive at $899 USD, but if/when the price comes down, it might be a useful alternative.

·
Registered
6,703 Posts
In Ontario OEM f150 windshield was like $385 CDN, just as good quality aftermarket with no F150 cost me $275 installed. Guy did a great job never had a leak, never had my cowl move.

In Ontario unless you pay a huge premium increase for way extra comprehensive then your windshields aren't covered.

My comprehensive doesn't cover glass and with a $500 deductible I didn't need everyone to know I drive an F150... Oh wait it says F150 everywhere...

Guess what...

I can see thru the glass... Haha!

·
Premium Member
2,232 Posts
In Ontario OEM f150 windshield was like $385 CDN, just as good quality aftermarket with no F150 cost me $275 installed. Guy did a great job never had a leak, never had my cowl move.

In Ontario unless you pay a huge premium increase for way extra comprehensive then your windshields aren't covered.

My comprehensive doesn't cover glass and with a $500 deductible I didn't need everyone to know I drive an F150... Oh wait it says F150 everywhere...

Guess what...

I can see thru the glass... Haha!
Well, I disagree. I have found Carlite glass to be more resistant to “sandblasting” and minor chips than PGW or others that I’ve made the mistake trying in the past.

As long as your happy, buy whatever you want. It’s your money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm new here and didn't see the flags so didn't realize where most of you were from. I'm in Tucson Arizona and a glass dealer here has the gorilla glass for $350 US so I don't know why your supplier charges so much.
Also as a retired traffic homicide accident investigator I I have investigated fatal accidents where the passenger cocoon collapsed due to improper installation of the windshield or using a substandard product. Things like the installer not wearing gloves and putting fingerprints on the glass that wont let the adhesive adhere properly to the vehicle etc. As someone said the windshield in an important structural component for the protection of persons in the vehicle. When I investigate a fatal one of the many things I look for is the "birthmark' of the wind shield. In the US all auto glass is supposed to be DOT (US dept of transportation) approved. There are some companies that use non DOT windshields and do not use the correct adhesive and the windshields pop out in a relatively minor accident or become large shards of glass flying into passengers. I think OEM is the safest product to use and you can tell the company you are using and they can get it for you. I know this was long but when you have pulled bodies from wrecks because someone used cheap crappy tires or a windshield or some other corner cutting thing it is important to me. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,232 Posts
windshields are a regular replacement item here. Insurance often won't do windshield coverage in Calgary at all.

This seems expensive at $899 USD, but if/when the price comes down, it might be a useful alternative.

I looked at the Gorilla Glass, but personally don’t think it’s worth it. The “Gorilla Glass” is only on the inside layer, so probably ain’t doing anything to prevent rock chips or cracks in 98% of the situations.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I looked at the Gorilla Glass, but personally don’t think it’s worth it. The “Gorilla Glass” is only on the inside layer, so probably ain’t doing anything to prevent rock chips or cracks in 98% of the situations.

Hi blown, I also looked into this glass and tomorrow I am getting a gorilla glass (Jeep factory) windshield installed in my CK Jeep. It cost the same as a standard windshield and comes with a 2 year warranty against chips and cracks. In Arizona we have such crappy roads it will be a good test for me. FYI, have you seen the testing done on you tube by Corning? If you haven't you might be surprised at these tests. My insurance co< State Farm charges you for a claim whether you get a new windshield or get a chip/crack repair done so even though I have zero deductable for glass i don't have to worry about extra claims on my record for at least two years. Safe driving, Robo

1 - 14 of 14 Posts