F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So had a ~4000 lb travel trailer I been pulling around with 2018 STX 4x4 and ave MPG was around ~11-12. Recently changed to a fiber glass fifthwheel. I still get around 12mpg for the 500mi trip home. At a rest stop I had time to play around with the towing settings a little bit, it turns out my F150 has towing stability/Sway control assist ON. I tried turning it OFF and the remaining 200mi I had 17mpg average. In the last weekend 700mi trip, I loaded the trailer with water and stuff & still manage to get 15.5mpg average. It seems to me that the F-150 was doing some automatic trailer braking to keep sway under control & causes MPG to drop. Just want to throw that idea out there so you guys can capitalize on improve MPG while towing.

Also automatic sway control is a good idea, but for me, the 5th wheel doesn't seem to have sway so turning it off poses no risk I can see.

Cherios!~

·
Registered
563 Posts
I know it defaults to on every time you start the truck. I was also under the impression a warning would pop up in the dash when activated. Maybe not?

·
Registered
2013 Ford F150 XLT 3.5 Ecobeast SuperCrew 4X4
1,646 Posts
Yep. I also get better MPG with it turned off, pulling my relatively lighter TT.

·
Registered
2015 F150 XLT 4X4 3.5 Ecoboost
4 Posts
I never considered that but makes sense if the truck isn't fighting you to keep the trailer stable. Also didn't know you could turn it off. Woah. I pull a TT around 5,000 loaded and might be something to try out. Thanks

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Makes sense ONLY if there is a good antisway system built into the WDH.

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
Maybe it magically does this with an OEM brake controller, which I doubt. But with my aftermarket P3 controller you would see this on the digital display as power sent to the trailer and never once has it done it.

That trailer sway control only comes on in major sway issues.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Antisway doesn't affect the trailer brakes. Only the rear brakes on the truck. I think LOL

·
Registered
1,646 Posts

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
Reactions: Poppy58 and docster

·
Registered
472 Posts
So had a ~4000 lb travel trailer I been pulling around with 2018 STX 4x4 and ave MPG was around ~11-12. Recently changed to a fiber glass fifthwheel. I still get around 12mpg for the 500mi trip home. At a rest stop I had time to play around with the towing settings a little bit, it turns out my F150 has towing stability/Sway control assist ON. I tried turning it OFF and the remaining 200mi I had 17mpg average. In the last weekend 700mi trip, I loaded the trailer with water and stuff & still manage to get 15.5mpg average. It seems to me that the F-150 was doing some automatic trailer braking to keep sway under control & causes MPG to drop. Just want to throw that idea out there so you guys can capitalize on improve MPG while towing.

Also automatic sway control is a good idea, but for me, the 5th wheel doesn't seem to have sway so turning it off poses no risk I can see.

Cherios!~
How many miles are on your truck?
The reason I ask, with my 12' enclosed trailer hooked up 13mpg was about as good as it got.
The last few months I've been getting 15-16. The only change has been air bags + Bilstein 5100 set to level, should get worse mpg. Idk... anomaly??!? Weather?? Anecdotally, <60% humidity and mine will easily get into mid 20s on the highway.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Mine doesn't alarm on the dash either but I can get 14 vs 11 with it turned off. Have posted about this before elsewhere.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How many miles are on your truck?
The reason I ask, with my 12' enclosed trailer hooked up 13mpg was about as good as it got.
The last few months I've been getting 15-16. The only change has been air bags + Bilstein 5100 set to level, should get worse mpg. Idk... anomaly??!? Weather?? Anecdotally, <60% humidity and mine will easily get into mid 20s on the highway.
It is now close to 90K miles. I drive around CA Oregon, so some hills, mostly flat. I had a chance to tow it 1400mi in the past 2 weekends.. and it is consistent. ~15mpg

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
17mpg towing a 5th wheel? Are you only coasting downhill?
It is not a traditional 5th wheel I give you that. Escape 5.0TA you can look that up. BUT on empty highways, I put on cruise control at 60mph. (CA limits towing to 55mph) I am noticing the sweet spot is at 55-60. when I set to 65, I can see MPG dropping. Maybe the shape of the trailer. I can only observe and can not get more scientific.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
going ti have to try this on my 19!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts