F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a 2011 F150 Ecoboost, and I have a few questions about it regarding MPG. I want to preface this post by saying I understand a lot of it depends on driving conditions and the driver.

1. What is the best aftermarket intake? Is it necessary to have the vehicle tuned after putting one in? (and yes, I love being able to hear the turbo)

2. Would it be a good idea to remove the cover of the stock intake to allow more air to flow through?

3. I've noticed a lot of the aftermarket intakes that are $400+ just look like tubes (i'm assuming the tubes are bigger and smoother than the stock ones) with exposed round filters... Would adding a round filter to the end of the stock tubing not essentially be the same thing?

4. Since these are twin turbos and work well with more airflow, would accelerating quicker than average result in more boost which would result in better MPG?

5. Does anyone have any inexpensive ideas for gaining more MPG? I don't need more power, since lets face it, these Ecoboost's are already pretty freaking powerful.

I'm not a complete idiot when it comes to cars but I'm not very technical with them either, so please keep that in mind when it comes to your responses. Thanks!!

·
Premium Member
724 Posts
Ford engineers are very conscious of fuel economy, and they design their systems to provide the best economy possible, given the power made.

You're not going to improve it with bolt-ons.

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
If you drive often at 80mph+, then consider lowering the ride height.
If you wanna spend some money, get a tuner, which will make lots more power and won't hurt the mpgs when you keep your foot out of it.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Stay out of the boost and try an economy tune- but it won't be fun to drive....

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
1. S&B, no tuning required. This won't help MPG

2. No it would not be a good idea. The cover is the clean side of the intake, removing it would bypass your filter entirely. This won't help MPG.

3. Yes, although there is some engineering involved in the placement of the MAF sensor in the air box/tube, to ensure it captures accurate readings. Simply throwing on a filter isn't going to give you gains and may cause problems. This won't help MPG

4. I think you may need to read up more on turbos, and how PCM manage air fuel ratios. You cannot "trick" your truck into making more power than it would have otherwise with your right foot. Your engine will consume fuel proportional to the amount of boost being created, which is proportional to how much you use your right foot. This won't help MPG

5. Yes. Don't mess with your truck. Drive conservatively. You could probably do things like select a lighter wheel and tire combo and lower it, but that's expensive.

·
Premium Member
3,059 Posts
Reactions: norcal_ecoscrew

·
Premium Member
4,079 Posts
The topic about wishing for better MPG's has been talked to death, buried, resurrected, and then talked to death again. I am a firm believer in the mileage being 90% directly affected by your driving style and 10% due to how your truck is set-up (gears, options package, lifted, etc.)

My last tank of gas netted me 15.8 mpg's because I had a lot of fun driving it recently and drove it like a freaking banshee every chance I got.
And this is what I am getting with my current tank of gas. I am driving it very calmly and following all the "increase your mpg" tips.

20170516_070307_resized.jpg

So, for all of you people who wish that you could get better mileage...YOU CAN. It's totally up to you and your driving habits. It may not be fun, but it IS doable.

<End of my @milesej05-ish rant>

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
So, for all of you people who wish that you could get better mileage...YOU CAN. It's totally up to you and your driving habits. It may not be fun, but it IS doable.
knows.jpg

I've seen 26.X from my max tow 3.73:1 super crew long bed. It was absolute hell to achieve it over a roughly 30 mile stretch of road but I wanted to see what I could eek out of it. Real life nets me 15.x MPG. I refuse to bore myself to death trying to eek out 2 or 3 more mpg. I'll pay the extra in fuel to grin once in a while.

Reactions: Elmore328

·
Registered
106 Posts
I wish I could find a way, new to me 13 fx4, gets 14.1, hand calculated, Im going to change the plugs, and clean all the sensors, praying that helps. I drive it like a grandma to try to get it higher on the MPG, but no dice. Highway the dash never gets close to 20 either. :/ So its not totally up to the driver.

So Im all ears for stuff that doesnt void warranty, and helps mpg.

·
Registered
81 Posts
As someone else mentioned, keep your right foot off the floor. Drive like you have an egg under your accelerator. I'm driving the Ecoboost to work for my 100 mile roundtrip per day to work. I drive 60-65mph on the 55mph roads and I have 3 stops to go through and 2 little town. I traded in a 2012 Chevy Volt on for the truck. I've also had a 2000 Honda Insight and 4 Prii for the daily commuter since 2004. I'm averaging around 20mpg per tank now as long as it is commuting. If I through in around town some, it drops the average drastically. I've increased the average about 2 mpg. The biggest difference you can make raising the tire pressure. The door post recommended psi for my 20's is 35psi. I run 45psi so far. It reduces rolling resistance a bunch. No. it doesn't wear out the centers, etc...... I have ran much higher pressures in my cars and tires have always lasted past their recommended life. Increased pressure does make a more stiff ride. It could change the driving characteristics as well.

I took the nerf bars off and installed a set of the power running boards that I bought off of a member here. They seem to have made about a 1 mpg difference. I can't say that positively, since the ambient air temps have raised in the last couple of weeks. i'm on my second tank since installing now. The factory nerf bars stick out and add wind resistance. I have a set of those if anyone needs a set.

·
Registered
5,963 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Cleaned the 3 sensors tonight. Removed the vane things from the intake tubes also. Will do plugs Saturday morning. Removed battery negative when I did the sensors also.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
311 Posts
Another thought would be to remove all unnecessary weight.

floor matts, out
back seat, out
carpet, out
glove box, out
spare tire, out
drain washer fluid
console lid, gone
extra keys on ring, tossed
tailgate, see ya
grill, good bye
valve stem caps, donate
emblems, garage decor

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Another thought would be to remove all unnecessary weight.

floor matts, out
back seat, out
carpet, out
glove box, out
spare tire, out
drain washer fluid
console lid, gone
extra keys on ring, tossed
tailgate, see ya
grill, good bye
valve stem caps, donate
emblems, garage decor
I went on a diet and lost a pound...Does that count?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts