F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Another thought would be to remove all unnecessary weight.

floor matts, out
back seat, out
carpet, out
glove box, out
spare tire, out
drain washer fluid
console lid, gone
extra keys on ring, tossed
tailgate, see ya
grill, good bye
valve stem caps, donate
emblems, garage decor
But thats necessary weight.

·
Administrator
7,819 Posts
If were going that smart, take the bed, doors and hood off too?
Now your getting the picture. lol. I think if you take the hood off though it may cut back on the aerodynamics.

·
Registered
4,675 Posts
Removing any unnecessary (or seldom needed) weight helps, so does raising your tire pressure as mentioned earlier.

But, from my own experience; driving style is the biggest factor. I found keeping the turbos OUT OF BOOST is better for fuel economy than being in boost. In other words, keep the tranny in gear longer (and monitor you boost guage and Desired HPFP pressure). I found keeping my tranny in 3rd or 4th longer kept the boost down, Desired HPFP pressure down AND increased the fuel econony).

The second driving that kills fuel economy is SPEED! I have driven a variety of roads and variety of speeds. My best fuel economy was a flat road doing 50-55 mph (about the time i I finally let the tranny hit 6th). Increasing the speed only reduces fuel economy from their. And once you hit past 60 mph, the fuel economy really starts to drop off - almost exponentially to the increase in speed.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I'm not complaining, but there are some lucky ****ers in here. I have a 2013 XLT with 3.31 gears. Lucky if I get about 10.5 MPG. I DO drive like grandpa, but the hills and stop-and-go in Pittsburgh has to be killing it. I have cleaned my sensors... multiple times. I have a catch can, custom tune, intake and exhaust. Even switching from stock XLT wheels with e-rated tires to raptor wheels and p-rated tires netted me... absolutely nothing. Oh well. I'm about to just start ****ing gunning it everywhere and at least have some fun listening to my little turbos.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I'm not complaining, but there are some lucky ****ers in here. I have a 2013 XLT with 3.31 gears. Lucky if I get about 10.5 MPG. I DO drive like grandpa, but the hills and stop-and-go in Pittsburgh has to be killing it. I have cleaned my sensors... multiple times. I have a catch can, custom tune, intake and exhaust. Even switching from stock XLT wheels with e-rated tires to raptor wheels and p-rated tires netted me... absolutely nothing. Oh well. I'm about to just start ****ing gunning it everywhere and at least have some fun listening to my little turbos.

Exactly, definitely not always up to the driver, mine is stuck at 14.1mpg, which is okay, I was really hoping for more. I came from a diesel that got 16+ with the same driving and 21mpg on the highway, I can see my half ton will sadly never come near those numbers :( Doing plugs saturday, hope that does something.

·
Registered
4,620 Posts
My cluster(which i dont trust 100%) reads 17mpg AVG today through a half of tank and that's running 87 in bumper to bumper traffic, accelerating hard, braking, repeat in a tremor, full weight 4.10s etc.

·
Premium Member
2,732 Posts
Forgot beer belly on things to get rid of :):):)
(For some of us)

Edit: if you don't boost 15 or obove on a tune, every time you go out, you drive like a "granny"

·
Registered
263 Posts
Pittsburgh here too brother. Hills, hills, and hills haha! There is NOWHERE to open these bad boys up until I get north of the city on 79. That parkway traffic does my MPG no good whatsoever man. Having said that I'm currently at 17.5, so I'm not complaining. I do find myself driving like grandpa on my commutes b/c I know if I wanted to I could really get that to drop drastically. Having said that...10.5 is really low!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Pittsburgh here too brother. Hills, hills, and hills haha! There is NOWHERE to open these bad boys up until I get north of the city on 79. That parkway traffic does my MPG no good whatsoever man. Having said that I'm currently at 17.5, so I'm not complaining. I do find myself driving like grandpa on my commutes b/c I know if I wanted to I could really get that to drop drastically. Having said that...10.5 is really low!
Yup. It's driving me nuts. I'm out of ideas. I would kill for 17.5.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
137 Posts
Just out of curiosity, what gear is in your truck? I also don't see any engine mods. Is that correct?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Just out of curiosity, what gear is in your truck? I also don't see any engine mods. Is that correct?
That's correct. No mods, for now. Starting with a new CAC, which I hope to have in within a week or two. Life is insanity right now for both me and the person who's gonna help, so that keeps getting delayed.

No tunes either. As much as I would like one, truck hasn't given me any problems. IMO it drives just fine. I've only had the truck for a few months, so I don't wanna take any chance with a tune and a potential warranty issue if need be. I read that you can drive around for 50 miles or so after returning to stock tune and that should make it undetectable (not sure if that's true or not), but if you gotta take your truck to the dealer b/c of a problem, you literally might not be able to drive around for 50 miles to clear it. If there was a way to erase the evidence of a tune then I'm sure I'd have one already. If anyone knows of one feel free to chime in!

The gears are 3.31. I do no towing whatsoever. If I ever were to, the most I can see myself towing in the foreseeable future, would be a pop-up camper. So no need for me to go w/ heavier gears.

·
Registered
137 Posts
That's correct. No mods, for now. Starting with a new CAC, which I hope to have in within a week or two. Life is insanity right now for both me and the person who's gonna help, so that keeps getting delayed.

No tunes either. As much as I would like one, truck hasn't given me any problems. IMO it drives just fine. I've only had the truck for a few months, so I don't wanna take any chance with a tune and a potential warranty issue if need be. I read that you can drive around for 50 miles or so after returning to stock tune and that should make it undetectable (not sure if that's true or not), but if you gotta take your truck to the dealer b/c of a problem, you literally might not be able to drive around for 50 miles to clear it. If there was a way to erase the evidence of a tune then I'm sure I'd have one already. If anyone knows of one feel free to chime in!

The gears are 3.31. I do no towing whatsoever. If I ever were to, the most I can see myself towing in the foreseeable future, would be a pop-up camper. So no need for me to go w/ heavier gears.
Let me know if you need a hand with the intercooler. I've pulled my stock one a couple of times, so I have it down pat pretty well at this point. I hope to upgrade to a FR intercooler at some point.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
haha, I wish I had a way to read my boost, its stock, I just figure if I hear them, Im burning gas
Switch the dash display to the instant fuel economy graph. You'll know real quick when you're making boost...

·
Registered
263 Posts
Let me know if you need a hand with the intercooler. I've pulled my stock one a couple of times, so I have it down pat pretty well at this point. I hope to upgrade to a FR intercooler at some point.
Very cool dude! I appreciate that. I just might be hitting you up for that. I'm all but certain to screw something up. Do you take cold beer as payment? :D

The FR is, from what I gather, the best one for these trucks. BOV at the very bottom is what set it's apart, IMO at least. I got the ATP, install does look to be super straight forward, vent to atmosphere, and a valve built-in for drainage. Works for my needs! Can't wait to get it on.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Very cool dude! I appreciate that. I just might be hitting you up for that. I'm all but certain to screw something up. Do you take cold beer as payment? :D

The FR is, from what I gather, the best one for these trucks. BOV at the very bottom is what set it's apart, IMO at least. I got the ATP, install does look to be super straight forward, vent to atmosphere, and a valve built-in for drainage. Works for my needs! Can't wait to get it on.
Just let me know. Don't even have to give me beer. Maybe just help with a coil over install. Hahaha. Seriously though. Happy to help if you need it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ford engineers are very conscious of fuel economy, and they design their systems to provide the best economy possible, given the power made.

You're not going to improve it with bolt-ons.
I would have to disagree. When I put the afe Momentum st intake and mach force dual 3" exhaust, my 2018 Ford f150 3.5l ecoboost 6.5' bed crew cab went from about 18.9 average to about 22.7 average even with hours of idle time each week due to my 18 month old boy sleeping to the rumble. If I do any highway, I get between 24 and 27 now too, its stupidly awesome. So yea, I would have to disagree.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts