F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
Moderstrator
3,221 Posts
It would be wrong of me to call bull simply for the sake of doing so as obviously you believe you’re seeing this. I mean no offense but I just don’t believe this. It would literally cost Ford no more at the factory to create what AFE and MachForce have done. If they could pull those kind of gains out of doing so, they would have done it. Increases across the board like that would make them a leader of the pack for years to come. Picking up almost 4 miles to the gallon simply isn’t happening.

By the way, welcome to the forum. @Bear D

·
Premium Member
2021 Powerboost Platinum FX4 Kodiak Brown
9,108 Posts
It WOULD be worth $Millions to Ford. $Millions!

We are far beyond the Era when manufacturers were sloppy about untapped economy. The PRESSURE for fuel economy is incredibly intense.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Reactions: GearHead_1

·
Registered
15 Posts
No joke, slide your seat back a bit. If you get your seat as far back as you feel comfortable with (considering the brake pedal), you'll notice you don't accelerate as quick.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Ford engineers are very conscious of fuel economy, and they design their systems to provide the best economy possible, given the power made.

You're not going to improve it with bolt-ons.
Well I’d disagree with that as I’m sure any mechanic would as well there are definitely bolt in mods that will improve the mileage. I just don’t think the ecoboost is a very fuel efficient motor. No joke my 2010 6.2l platinum turned better mileage than my 14 3.5 foot eco.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Well I’d disagree with that as I’m sure any mechanic would as well there are definitely bolt in mods that will improve the mileage. I just don’t think the ecoboost is a very fuel efficient motor. No joke my 2010 6.2l platinum turned better mileage than my 14 3.5 foot eco.
As per my previous post an oil separator will definitely get you some extra miles to the gallon or Kim’s to the litre as I’m Canadian. It’s a direct injection motor so that inevitably leads to carbon buildup

·
Premium Member
1,415 Posts
As per my previous post an oil separator will definitely get you some extra miles to the gallon or Kim’s to the litre as I’m Canadian. It’s a direct injection motor so that inevitably leads to carbon buildup
You’re a little late to the party.

A catch can will not net you better MPG. That’s a huge lie brainwashed into consumers.

·
Moderstrator
3,221 Posts
Agreed no gain in MPG with the can.

·
Registered
7,606 Posts
Ive been running a can for 7 years, no mpg difference.

Heck ambient temperature changes my mpg lol.

Winter/ summer blend fuel makes a bigger MPG difference.

Reactions: SrpRacing

·
Premium Member
2013 XLT 302A 145" Screw
3,208 Posts
BALONEY.

·
Registered
9 Posts
It would be wrong of me to call bull simply for the sake of doing so as obviously you believe you’re seeing this. I mean no offense but I just don’t believe this. It would literally cost Ford no more at the factory to create what AFE and MachForce have done. If they could pull those kind of gains out of doing so, they would have done it. Increases across the board like that would make them a leader of the pack for years to come. Picking up almost 4 miles to the gallon simply isn’t happening.

By the way, welcome to the forum. @Bear D
Well now that is fine if you believe what you believe, however I never said it would improve it 4 extra miles to the gallon but in my experience my truck never got better than 16 litres per 100 kilometres after the can was installed I starred seeing up to 14 litres per 100 Kms so not a huge difference but definitely worth noting.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Well now that is fine if you believe what you believe, however I never said it would improve it 4 extra miles to the gallon but in my experience my truck never got better than 16 litres per 100 kilometres after the can was installed I starred seeing up to 14 litres per 100 Kms so not a huge difference but definitely worth noting.
*started

·
Registered
2018 F-150 XLT SCAB 4x4 3.55:1
175 Posts
No air filter or intake will improve MPG unless it strangles the engine countering your lead foot.

Electronic fuel injection knows how much air it is getting and will add exactly the same mounts of fuel per unit air. It will adjust to feed tge engine exactly the same amount of air and fuel for any given load. If you use a lower restriction air filter then your right foot will lift to close the throttle to exactly compensate for the air filter.

Same sort of thing happens for restrictive dirty filters. You open the throttle a bit so exactly the same amount of air reaches exactly the same amount of fuel necessary for the load placed on the engine.

The only time intake or air filter makes a difference is under full throttle operation. Any other time lower restriction is matched by increased restriction by closing the throttle.

·
Premium Member
1,415 Posts
Electronic fuel injection knows how much air it is getting and will add exactly the same mounts of fuel per unit air. It will adjust to feed tge engine exactly the same amount of air and fuel for any given load. If you use a lower restriction air filter then your right foot will lift to close the throttle to exactly compensate for the air filyet.

Same sort of thing happens for restrictive dirty filters. You open the throttle a bit so exactly the same amount of air reaches exactly the same amount of fuel necessary for the load placed on the engine.

The only time intake or air filter makes a difference is under full throttle operation. Any other time lower restriction is matched by increased restriction by closing the throttle.

You are correct about the truck adjusting trims. However, the throttle strategy is different on these engines as their load/torque based. The throttle angle does not correlate with the pedal position like your ordinary NA engine. It modulates based on the MAP/TIP.

It’s fords way of having the torque come on strong, linear, and consistent.

If anything a restrictive filter will just over-speed the turbos.

·
Registered
7,114 Posts
On some cars that use a maf an intake can actually make the car run leaner. I put an AFe intake on my Lexus and noticed that my MAF readings had dropped by 2 lbs/min. I emailed AFe and they said they design the intake to spoof the maf into making the engine run a little leaner.

Problem is, my lexus has fuel trims and I think after a short time it had corrected the issue.

No of this applies to the ecoboost though since its speed density tuned.

·
Registered
9 Posts
It WOULD be worth $Millions to Ford. $Millions!

We are far beyond the Era when manufacturers were sloppy about untapped economy. The PRESSURE for fuel economy is incredibly intense.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Yes I understand that however you have to know that the auto manufacturers and the oil and gas companies have some sort of agreement about not making the vehicles too fuel efficient. What’s the single most important facet of business especially big business? Profits and big business refuses to compromise profitability for anything.

41 - 60 of 67 Posts