F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone else on the forum checks their trailer tire temps when towing? Since I had the blowout on the last trip I've become more paranoid about it happening again.

I was told that it's a good idea to check the temps of all the tires, if one tire is reading much hire temps then it's a good sign that it's about to fall apart.

craftsman-ir-thermometer.jpeg

I just ordered a Craftsman Non-Contact InfraRed Thermometer - Sears.com

I walk around mine and take the temp of the MH & toad. To check the duals inside I shoot the temp through the same opening in the wheel that the air valve comes through. By keeping the thermometer an equal distance from the tire I get an good idea of temps. I use the sidewalls. The front tires on the toad are always the warmest and were on previous toad also. Next highest is always the ones on the sunny side and in hot weather they can be a good 20 deg. warmer. When I had a brake hang up on my Workhorse chassis I could tell by the thermometer which wheel it was

·
Registered
71 Posts
Just wondering if anyone else on the forum checks their trailer tire temps when towing? Since I had the blowout on the last trip I've become more paranoid about it happening again.

I was told that it's a good idea to check the temps of all the tires, if one tire is reading much hire temps then it's a good sign that it's about to fall apart.

View attachment 2398

I just ordered a Craftsman Non-Contact InfraRed Thermometer - Sears.com
I bought one of these to check the temps of my tires on my race car. It's in the race trailer already so I should remember to use it when I stop to get fuel or check the trailer/strapped loads. Good thinking!

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Its also good for checking the bearings for excess heat. I was looking at a few TPS systems for trailers that give real time temp readings, but this might be another option for me.

Let us know how it works for you.

SPPD

·
Registered
71 Posts
Good call and checking the bearings as well!

What are you supposed to do if you check the tires and they are getting too hot? Drive slower, reload the trailer or what?

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Good call and checking the bearings as well!

What are you supposed to do if you check the tires and they are getting too hot? Drive slower, reload the trailer or what?
First thing would be check the air pressure, as low air is the leading cause of excess heat which really damages the rubber. If the air pressure is good then reducing speed would be a good way to reduce heat. If you have 1 tire that is running a lot warmer it is a sign that the tire may be getting ready to go, so its a early warning system.

SPPD

Reactions: STdan and 4Nines

·
Registered
868 Posts
if you guys are towing alot and worried about tire temps check into having them filled with nitrogen
i couldnt tell you all the pros and cons about it but i do know that over at work they are in the process of evacuating and refilling all the fleet tires with nitrogen
apparently the benefits by far outway the expense or they wouldnt be doin it
maybe some other members know more about it !
or i could ask the tech buddy of mine in the truck shop when i see him about it !

·
Registered
71 Posts
That's a good idea! I have a nitrogen tank to fill my race car tires and shocks so maybe I will just use that to fill my tires as well.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
if you guys are towing alot and worried about tire temps check into having them filled with nitrogen
i couldnt tell you all the pros and cons about it but i do know that over at work they are in the process of evacuating and refilling all the fleet tires with nitrogen
apparently the benefits by far outway the expense or they wouldnt be doin it
maybe some other members know more about it !
or i could ask the tech buddy of mine in the truck shop when i see him about it !
My trailer came from the factory with nitrofil in the tires, but I have no way of topping off with nitrogen when they are low.

SPPD

·
Premium Member
2,427 Posts
I'm surprised that nitrogen actually makes that much of a difference. I remember several years ago when tire shops were advertising for nitrogen, I was thinking "that's a ripoff, the air we breathe is already like 78% nitrogen!" I guess more "pure" nitrogen actually does help... Now I'm the a-hole!

·
Registered
868 Posts
My trailer came from the factory with nitrofil in the tires, but I have no way of topping off with nitrogen when they are low.

SPPD
i do not know all the details about nitrogen filled tires but i did hear that the internal pressures do not change up and down with temp change like an air filled tire so once its in there i imagine you only need to top it off if its leaking out somewhere.
i also heard it keeps the tires from dry rotting and cracking if they are left setting outside but i dont know how much that is true.
i do know that my now 2nd set of trailer tires still has almost new tread still on them but are cracking open on the sidewalls and will need replaced within the next yr for sure
i have yet to be able to actually wear a set out i end up replacing them because they dry rot and start leaking

·
Registered
143 Posts
Soooo....what temperatures are we talking? 100? 150? 200? What is an acceptable operating temperature for your tires on your truck, and your trailer?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts