F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Discussion starter · #1 ·
Hi all.
I have a 2014 F150 FX4.
65k miles. Stock. (No tune)
I noticed the engine seemed to be idling rough. Power was fine.
I started doing research and realized the Eco tends to need the plugs changed earlier than normally aspirated engines.
I replaced the plugs with OEM. They were gaped at .035. The old plugs had opened to .045.
The engine now idles very smooth, but has lost its grunt.
When I was towing my boat today and went to pass a slow moving vehicle, I didn't think I was going to get around. Usually its a beast and I'm doing 80 by the time I get around them.(65 mph speed limit).
I would have thought that power would have went up, and not down.

Anyone else experience this. At this point I would just soon install the old plugs. Lol.
Any input would be appreciated.

Yikes. Been putting off doing mine, currently ~76k on em. I keep reading these engines are very picky about plugs and the ceramic cracks easily during install. I'm sure I would use MC plugs but some use Autolite and NGK.

Did you do a KAM reset or throttle re learn procedure?

Did you replace them with the SP580s? I replaced mine a few weeks ago and have experienced the same thing. Not so much sluggish, but my MPG took a hit and my LT fuel trims are showing lean +2, +3. I did remove my RXP CSS from my airbox due to oil seepage. I put it on a small catch can off Amazon so it's basically a VTA. Not sure if that is related, but I can't imagine it would be.

Yikes. Been putting off doing mine, currently ~76k on em. I keep reading these engines are very picky about plugs and the ceramic cracks easily during install. I'm sure I would use MC plugs but some use Autolite and NGK.
I’ve thought the same thing. I have my new plugs but my truck runs fine and fear if I touch something it will be worse. Some report less gas mileage to. I’m near 60k.

Discussion starter · #6 ·
Did you do a KAM reset or throttle re learn procedure?
I did a KAM, which I believe is a disconnecting the battery, then reconnecting. I did this and it seemed to help a bit.
It still lack power as compared to before the spark plug change. I pulled the plugs, opened them to .040. Did another KAM. It now pulls like it did before. Idle is still smooth, but not the glass smooth at the .035 gap.

What is a throttle re-learn procedure?
Thanks

Discussion starter · #8 ·
Don’t see many say that performance improves when setting the gap this wide. I’m glad you have your baby back
Thanks GearHead. I will do the Throttle re-learn in the morning. I remember this re-learn working on the tuned 6.4 PowerStroke I owned. My only conclusion is my coils must pack quite a punch to run better with the wider gap.

So far my truck has been trouble free. Changed brakes, tires, and oil. Hasn't been to shop for a single issue. Well they did replace a seat bottom and back due to a poor sewing job. But thats it.

The issue with a super wide gap is spark blowout under high boost.

That's why tuners recommend 28-30 thou.

Reactions: Mikedick77
Discussion starter · #10 ·
The issue with a super wide gap is spark blowout under high boost.

That's why tuners recommend 28-30 thou.
Thanks Winchested.
I'm not tuned so I should be ok. The plugs I replaced were over .045 gapped with no blow out.
Will update if anything changes.
I did the Throttle re-learn this morning and that seemed to really give me back throttle response.

Thanks Winchested.
I'm not tuned so I should be ok. The plugs I replaced were over .045 gapped with no blow out.
Will update if anything changes.
I did the Throttle re-learn this morning and that seemed to really give me back throttle response.
They were 45 thou because the electrode is super worn. These burn super hot and wear the and the tang of the plug wears away too and gets a pocket in it, thus starting with a wide gap to begin with is not ideal.

Discussion starter · #12 ·
They were 45 thou because the electrode is super worn. These burn super hot and wear the and the tang of the plug wears away too and gets a pocket in it, thus starting with a wide gap to begin with is not ideal.
I wasn't sure if they were factory gaped that wide or from wear. I will probably bring them back to .035 and do the KAM and throttle relearn. Will see how she does. Right now its pulling and running great.

I think the next step is a tow/performance tune. Maybe SCT. Something 87 octane.

Personally i'd be at .028, and relearn. Even stock that's where I ran mine. I have the 580's at .028 now, on a tune, and it's great pulling. MPG blows, but my truck and my short commute it's always been in the crapper.

If you get a tuner, Brew City Boost has an adaptive tune for daily and for towing. That was what drew me to them, and it's been pretty darn nice. You might look into that if you just want that worry free increase.

Hope you get this worked out. I know what this kind of crap feels like first hand.

Discussion starter · #14 ·
Thanks Mike
I had a 2008 F250 with the 6.4 Turbo diesel. I had it tuned with plenty aftermarket parts.Loved the truck. Would 4 wheel launch to 60 mph in 4.6 seconds. Thats 8400 lbs. I seen 58lbs of boost on one launch. It was a beast. I traded it for the Eco because it ran and pulled a lot like a diesel. Low grunt power. No down shifting for hills, just builds boost and pulls.

I miss the no turbo lag the tune offered me on my diesel. Also the firm transmission shifts.
Its pretty much what I'm looking for in a tune.

Will take the plugs to .028 and do the relearn and see how it runs. Its running really well and has been extremely reliable.

Don

Most tuners will trim up the tune to your tastes. Many like going the custom route. Personally, when I get on it, tires break loose in 1st, 2nd, and if its wet out, 3rd. 0-70 is quick as hell. Passing someone at 60, I end up doing 90 before I know it. For me, the out of the box tune is just fine.

There's some good threads on tuners on the site here. I'd do a good bit of reading before you decide what's best for you and how you use your truck. I'm sure you'll be happier going this route.

Good luck with the gap adjust. Let us know how that goes for you.

Glad to hear you got it sorted out!

Hi all.
I have a 2014 F150 FX4.
65k miles. Stock. (No tune)
I noticed the engine seemed to be idling rough. Power was fine.
I started doing research and realized the Eco tends to need the plugs changed earlier than normally aspirated engines.
I replaced the plugs with OEM. They were gaped at .035. The old plugs had opened to .045.
The engine now idles very smooth, but has lost its grunt.
When I was towing my boat today and went to pass a slow moving vehicle, I didn't think I was going to get around. Usually its a beast and I'm doing 80 by the time I get around them.(65 mph speed limit).
I would have thought that power would have went up, and not down.

Anyone else experience this. At this point I would just soon install the old plugs. Lol.
Any input would be appreciated.
Do you have any misfire’s ? Or any engine codes? If so I would swap plugs again, even the most expensive plugs can come out of the box faulty I’ve seen it happen, and the second thing is did you make sure you tapped them correctly? On direct injection engines the gap is much more important, they’ve changed it 3-4 times trying to find right gap for these engines so make sure you check for latest gapping, might be 28? Can’t remember it’s been awhile since I did mine

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.