F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have the Full Race catted downpipes. I was getting a CEL for rear O2 sensors. Tuner was able to turn it off in the tune with no problems, but it made me wonder about passing emissions in my state (They check OBDII ready codes, look for faults ect.). I also was a little concerned about selling the truck (no plans, just thinking) without the ability to return truck to stock for next owner (most buyers do not want a tuned vehicle IMO). So I did some hunting and research.
Settled on installing O2 extenders. Purchased Amazon.com: Blackpath - 2x Oxygen O2 Sensor Spacer Extender M18 x 1.5 Bung Pipe Weld 90 Degree Angle Kit: Automotive from Amazon 41szuoSRYDL.jpg

Installed them with my new 58mm turbo's since the DP's have to be loosened up at a minimum. Spoke with tuner and removed any O2 sensor bypass settings in tune. Initial driving resulted in rear O2 sensor codes for slow response (different codes from regular O2 failures). Cleared CEL (NOT clearing KAM..... check engine light only). Drove for another 30 miles or so and popped another code (for single sensor slow response), cleared it (again, not KAM reset...) and now have ~200 miles on tune with no CEL's. I am dynoing this week so will keep performance tune installed till at least then. Once dyno is completed I will flash to stock tune and verify that the codes clear and go away for good. But seeing as how I typically get a CEL within 30 miles or so I'm pretty sure the extenders did the trick.

·
Vendor
7,099 Posts
I am really confused by a few things with my O/R solo DP, and honestly in the opposite boat as you.

Well prior to my revision for my downpipes (off-road solo) I never threw a cell. I flashed to stock and went about 200-250 miles never threw a cell. Extenders on tears only. How could this be. Obviously I have since had a revised tune and it was turned off I would imagine, but why no cell for me yet guys pop them with catted pipes all the time. CONFUSED ;/

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
Ducatti, did you use the angled or the straight extender?

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I did the angled but popped a code the last time I tried... need to put on the straights and see if it goes away or even add them together.. It worked for a long time though.... probably long enough to get me through emissions. I need to monitor for the emissions ready flag in the computer.... anybody know an easy way to do that?

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Mine did same thing, maybe that's why they send straight extender's in the kit? It takes at least 300 miles to throw the code though. Like you said just enough to pass emissions.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mine did same thing, maybe that's why they send straight extender's in the kit? It takes at least 300 miles to throw the code though. Like you said just enough to pass emissions.
Yes..... I'll try the straight ones next chance I get.. my truck is going to be getting a little work done to it in the next week or two so I may not want to tinker..

·
Registered
475 Posts
The time and miles it takes to throw a code depends on a couple of factors. In the winter I can drive around town and on the highway as long as I don't drive it hard and go at least two weeks and well over 300 miles and never throw a code on the stock tune. The same thing in the summer and I can get one in less than 20 miles. It seems to be more temperature dependent than anything else so the longer the extensions the longer you can probably go.

·
Registered
126 Posts
The time and miles it takes to throw a code depends on a couple of factors. In the winter I can drive around town and on the highway as long as I don't drive it hard and go at least two weeks and well over 300 miles and never throw a code on the stock tune. The same thing in the summer and I can get one in less than 20 miles. It seems to be more temperature dependent than anything else so the longer the extensions the longer you can probably go.
This. I have tried every different kind of these things on my other boosted cars and never has one completely eliminated the code. It always comes back

·
Registered
903 Posts
I've used the angled extended with good success. Those are the ones Richie at RV6P sends out with his Honda Accord precat delete pipes. Worked well on my '05 V6 Accord and I'll probably use them again if I ever install downpipes on my Eco w/o tuning

1 - 10 of 10 Posts