F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I understand I need to change my fan turn-on temp for a 170 tstat. Is that something I can do with my SCT tuner? Is it really necessary?

·
Registered
674 Posts
Think you have to have a tuner do that. Kinda like turning off o2s for catless pipes.

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
I don't have an SCT tuner, but it should be easy to find in the options menu on any hand-held programmer.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
I understand I need to change my fan turn-on temp for a 170 tstat. Is that something I can do with my SCT tuner? Is it really necessary?
Any tuner can do this for you...(let me clear my throat here) pick me! LOL...;)

If you need anything, just let me know...I will be glad to write a tune for you.

·
Registered
5,412 Posts
There is no way for you do it with an SCT Tuner to my knowledge. As said above, you need a custom tune.

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
There is no way for you do it with an SCT Tuner to my knowledge. As said above, you need a custom tune.
DOH! Foiled....I can do it with my tuner....neener neener....oh wait wrong thread....:p

EDIT: Seriously, though...their "canned" tunes don't offer even like a 1,2,3 choice of fan activation temps??? (Not kidding...)

·
Registered
914 Posts
Even just the tstat without changing the fan settings makes a big improvement. Before I was cruising at 200-205 after the tstat swap with the canned and stock tune I cruise at 185-190.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone. The install was a breeze, except for dropping a socket and having it roll onto that stupid metal pan under the motor. Took 45 minutes to find it.

Anyway, I already have custom tunes from 5* and really don't want to pay $$ just to have the temps adjusted. I guess I will run it as is for now.

LET, you are on my list for a tow tune. Just need to catch up from my recent hemorrhaging of money.

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
What if you go to SCT canned tow tune? Maybe that has the option just to try??

Sent from my HAL9000 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
914 Posts
SCT canned tunes do not adjust the fan settings.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
That sucks!

Sent from my HAL9000 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,412 Posts
Thanks everyone. The install was a breeze, except for dropping a socket and having it roll onto that stupid metal pan under the motor. Took 45 minutes to find it.

Anyway, I already have custom tunes from 5* and really don't want to pay $$ just to have the temps adjusted. I guess I will run it as is for now.

LET, you are on my list for a tow tune. Just need to catch up from my recent hemorrhaging of money.

I thought 5* gave you unlimited upgrades? And if you recently bought the tune, maybe they'll do an update for you. It's really a very minor change in the tables.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I went over to the Mustang forum and did some searching. Some folks over there are changing the fan temps on an SCT tuner. Apparently the ability to do this is coded into the custom tune. It is up to the tuner to allow you to change the temps.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I thought 5* gave you unlimited upgrades? And if you recently bought the tune, maybe they'll do an update for you. It's really a very minor change in the tables.
Mike at 5* says he sets the fans to come on at 195. He said it could be lowered to 185 but didn't indicate if I could do this or if I had to have him do it. I don't run really hard or WOT. I just wanted a cushion for when I tow during the summer. I am going to leave the fan temp alone for now and see what the temps run.

·
Registered
5,412 Posts
I've ran cooler tstats and did my own tuning on other vehicles in the past. And you do want some cushion on the "on-off" temp. And a lot depends on variance in the tstat between fully open, fully closed (and sensor location in relation to the tstat ... I haven't checked our trucks yet). I find that my temperatures vary a fair amount on my truck. The temps typcially runs from between low 180s to 205ish when fully warmed up, with the stock tstat based on my SCT readings and datalogs. I consider this variation fairly wide and it may be a function of the stock tstat. Maybe an aftermarket Tstat might be tighter. I have owned stats with much tighter ranges on other vehicles, and it made it a joy for tuning.

I didn't have any scan tool to monitor my temps last summer when I first bought my truck. But it routinely hits 100+*F during the summer where I live. Unfortunately we also routinely go below -10*F in winter too. This winter, I barely got my truck warm enough to start heating the cab and defrosting the windshield driving to/from work "the extra long way" and with a radiator blanket.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts

No worries...I am here when you are ready...you will be fine without it, but it will make a noticeable difference with the changes to the tune...:D

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Mike at 5* says he sets the fans to come on at 195. He said it could be lowered to 185 but didn't indicate if I could do this or if I had to have him do it. I don't run really hard or WOT. I just wanted a cushion for when I tow during the summer. I am going to leave the fan temp alone for now and see what the temps run.
For reference, that is not the only setting that needs to be changed...:cool:

·
Registered
127 Posts
I've ran cooler tstats and did my own tuning on other vehicles in the past. And you do want some cushion on the "on-off" temp. And a lot depends on variance in the tstat between fully open, fully closed (and sensor location in relation to the tstat ... I haven't checked our trucks yet). I find that my temperatures vary a fair amount on my truck. The temps typcially runs from between low 180s to 205ish when fully warmed up, with the stock tstat based on my SCT readings and datalogs. I consider this variation fairly wide and it may be a function of the stock tstat. Maybe an aftermarket Tstat might be tighter. I have owned stats with much tighter ranges on other vehicles, and it made it a joy for tuning.

I didn't have any scan tool to monitor my temps last summer when I first bought my truck. But it routinely hits 100+*F during the summer where I live. Unfortunately we also routinely go below -10*F in winter too. This winter, I barely got my truck warm enough to start heating the cab and defrosting the windshield driving to/from work "the extra long way" and with a radiator blanket.
Same thing I see as well with the stock thermostat....I'm not a big fan of how much it fluctuates. Really doesn't seem to matter how I'm driving, just bounces between 190 to 205 until I mash the gas.

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
Same thing I see as well with the stock thermostat....I'm not a big fan of how much it fluctuates. Really doesn't seem to matter how I'm driving, just bounces between 190 to 205 until I mash the gas.
Roughly 4% on both sides of 197.5 ain't bad at all...

·
Registered
127 Posts
Roughly 4% on both sides of 197.5 ain't bad at all...
Don't get me wrong, it isn't by any means horrible...it just seems to average a little higher compared to what the stock thermostat is set to open at than what I'm used to.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts