F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought and Instant Pot Duo Evo Plus because they are supposedly the greatest thing since sliced bread. Ive used it twice now and had issues both times.

The first time was for cooking chili. I was using the Saute mode to cook bacon and it kept erroring out on me. Finally figured out it would work in “custom” saute mode without and error. Great. It cooked the chili fine. It “cooks” it in 18 minutes but then takes a pretty long time to depressurize.

Tonight i was simply trying to cook brown rice and the float valve that is supposed to seal off the pot to pressurize it is now jammed in the open position. No matter what i do it will not close. The Instant Pot just boils off all the water and bakes the rice.

So far I am not seeing the appeal. You know what works every time? A dutch oven. You know what costs 1/5 the price, a dutch oven. You know what only takes twice the time to cook things because of the depressurization process? A dutch oven.

Reactions: Arkansas Eco

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
Oh wait, nm.

·
Registered
2013 Ford F150 XLT 3.5 Ecobeast SuperCrew 4X4
932 Posts
I have 2 identical ones. Recieved both as gifts. Haven't used either. Don't see the appeal.

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
I have not done rice in it, but maybe the valve is designed to stick for rice. Look it up.

to depressurize, you can just turn the knob. It will shoot steam out the valve, dont stand over it.....again explained in directions. Some food you do not want to do instant depressurization because it can change it.

It is easier to do bacon on the stove top. I am assuming you got an error because it got too hot. Add a little water in it.

·
Registered
496 Posts
My wife has one and absolutely loves it. We have not done rice, but she has done Chili a couple of times. The depressurizing is much easier if you turn that knob. Here is a link to a friends website, Instant Pot Recipes.

·
Premium Member
6,811 Posts
I've eaten a lot of amazing meals prepared in one. My sister uses hers to serve up feasts while living on the run in our RV's.

I obviously don't have a clue how to use one myself, but I'm told by her that it's worth it's weight in gold in the less equipped kitchen.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
44 Posts
My wife was given one by a friend who never took it out of the box... That should have been a clue. A different friend was raving about how awesome an instapot was, so the free one seemed like a good deal. We've tried spaghetti, artichokes, and chili in it... You know what works just as fast?... Cooking those things normally. I don't see what an instapot accomplishes over normal cooking. Yes it steams under pressure, so it does make cooking more complicated and dangerous... So it has that going for it.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have not done rice in it, but maybe the valve is designed to stick for rice. Look it up.

to depressurize, you can just turn the knob. It will shoot steam out the valve, dont stand over it.....again explained in directions. Some food you do not want to do instant depressurization because it can change it.

It is easier to do bacon on the stove top. I am assuming you got an error because it got too hot. Add a little water in it.
I did the chili already and it was fine other than the bacon saute error. The float valve worked fine then. I did partially depressurize it using the manual vent mode but on my unit it is a slide switch not a knob.

That red anodized piece is the float valve and has a silicone seal on the underside. When the pot pressurizes the float is supposed to pop up and seal off. Mine is currently stuck down. I cannot push it up by hand and my slide switch is stuck in the vent position. It looks to me like there is a little stop plate inside the hole preventing it from popping up.

And I dont think it was supposed to stay open because it blew rice water everywhere. That sticky gluten stuff is all over the pot now.

My wife has one and absolutely loves it. We have not done rice, but she has done Chili a couple of times. The depressurizing is much easier if you turn that knob. Here is a link to a friends website, Instant Pot Recipes.
I have used the vent for my chili. I think that they don't usually want you to because it risks boiling off excess liquid in the chili.

My wife was given one by a friend who never took it out of the box... That should have been a clue. A different friend was raving about how awesome an instapot was, so the free one seemed like a good deal. We've tried spaghetti, artichokes, and chili in it... You know what works just as fast?... Cooking those things normally. I don't see what an instapot accomplishes over normal cooking. Yes it steams under pressure, so it does make cooking more complicated and dangerous... So it has that going for it.

This is kind of where I am at. I can use a dutch oven or pot for my chili and start to finish it might take and extra 45 minutes.

·
Premium Member
6,811 Posts
It's a modern day pressure cooker. (amongst other things)

So whatever a pressure cooker is good at, an Instapot is equally good at.

Pressure cooking isn't nearly as common today. Our grandmother's knew what they were doing with one.

They do cook lean tough game very well. She's a master at hunting, slaying, and then whipping up a fine venison roast. (oldest sister)

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I just spent an hour on hold with Instant Pot CS. I was literally on the phone with the guy for 4 minutes and they are sending a new pot. He's like, "push this little silver button on the inside of the lid. Does the float valve move? No? Ok, we will send you a new one."

Reactions: WooBoost

·
Registered
159 Posts
we have one that we occasionally use. I don't see the big hype about them either, b/c the time it takes to pressurize and cook you can usually cook the meal just as quick on a stove top. The only thing I do like it for is chicken, I like the way chicken breast comes out with the insta pot, you can easily shred it for tacos, enchiladas etc.

·
Premium Member
6,811 Posts
I'm guilty, so this is directed at me.....

But I'm watching a thread about the Instapot trend today on my manly ECOBOOST forum. (so called)

·
Registered
369 Posts
Hey it is an "Off Topic Forum" and I was curious from "Pot Duo Evo Plus " in the title. Ahh, cooking thread! Never heard of the item, but do a lot of cooking with a pressure cooker and more in Dutch Ovens, in fact all the ribs, chicken, turkey and pot roasts I cook are done in a kitchen DO and finished under a broiler or on a grill. The PCooker is great for reducing cooking times for things as rice, dried beans. Guess I'm a cooking luddite and prefer single use cooking items. So the need of a one item does all is to me an expression of mediocre results for any recipe. Now I'll shut up till a Sou Vide thread pops up!

Reactions: snakebitten

·
Premium Member
6,811 Posts
Sous Vide is the ONLY thing my huge family looks to me for.

I learnt it in an effort to perfect a cook first--sear last steak recipe. I completely underestimated the success and it has resulted in me being the designated T-bone, Ribeye, NY strip, filet, tenderloin cook. Period. No one will now step up.

Still, pressure cooking IS legit. Or at least my gut shows evidence.

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey it is an "Off Topic Forum" and I was curious from "Pot Duo Evo Plus " in the title. Ahh, cooking thread! Never heard of the item, but do a lot of cooking with a pressure cooker and more in Dutch Ovens, in fact all the ribs, chicken, turkey and pot roasts I cook are done in a kitchen DO and finished under a broiler or on a grill. The PCooker is great for reducing cooking times for things as rice, dried beans. Guess I'm a cooking luddite and prefer single use cooking items. So the need of a one item does all is to me an expression of mediocre results for any recipe. Now I'll shut up till a Sou Vide thread pops up!
Its like the Honda Civic Type R Spec S Redline edition of Instant Pots.

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sous Vide is the ONLY thing my huge family looks to me for.

I learnt it in an effort to perfect a cook first--sear last steak recipe. I completely underestimated the success and it has resulted in me being the designated T-bone, Ribeye, NY strip, filet, tenderloin cook. Period. No one will now step up.

Still, pressure cooking IS legit. Or at least my gut shows evidence.

Actually, Sous Vide was one of the reasons I bought this particular model. It has it built right in and you can set the exact temperature you want to the degree. I have been wanting to try it for a long time and just never got around to it.

·
Registered
2013 Ford F150 XLT 3.5 Ecobeast SuperCrew 4X4
932 Posts

AGREED !!!

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

New Instant Pot is in already. I can’t complain about the customer service.

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just wanted to provide an update. This one has been working just fine. I definitely see where its fast for some recipes(I just made pulled chicken for tacos in 30 minutes start to finish) but others not so much.

It is convenient to have everything done in the one pot. I can saute meat, onions, garlic, vegetables etc and then go straight into pressure cooking with no mess.

The Sous Vide feature sucks. SUCKS. Ive done 3-4 steaks(some ribeyes and flank steak for fajitas) now and tried setting it as low as 128F, which should be on the rare side of medium rare. All of them have come out closer to medium well. Barely pink in the inside. It just does not work well and was one of the main reasons I bought it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts