F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm starting to think about some type of intake and exhaust system on my Truck. On my past pickups I've always done some sort of cold air induction and cat back system. Not sure how it would effect this engine, it's very different than anything I've had in the past.....Having said that, I've never really liked the sound of a V6 with cat back.....has anyone done these mods? And if so what did you do? What was the impact on performance and more importantly to fuel economy? How does it sound? Does it impact warranty? Thanks in advance............John

·
Registered
589 Posts
Jddens- There have been several folks on here that have done the modification you want to do with great success. I would suggest going to Slowracing.com (Member- Slow's website, which he has a link on the form here too). His truck has had some of the greatest success and best results for modification. He does a great job of breaking it down on gains and impacts. Also ensure you are looking at a tuner/programmer if you do a CAI/Exhaust otherwise you can expect poor results on MPG and miss out on the real performance gains. Oh Slow has a hook up on a solid tune and the results with the 87 tune is Epic!

·
Registered
216 Posts
I too am scared of what the sound might be from a cat back. If you are looking at it from a hp gain, you would be better off to do a y-pipe and keep the stock catback.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Yeah it really boils down to what you want and I don't think there is really no wrong way to go about it. The sounds is never going to be the V8 Bubble and Rumble, But exhaust like Stainless Steel and Solo Exhaust have sweet sounds that make the turbo sound really come to like. Than Again you can enjoy the V8 rumble for a brief moment as you go smoking by when you have all the right Mods LOL :cool:

·
Registered
860 Posts
I've heard great things about the Corsa exhaust for the F150 Ecoboost and it's the one I've been considering for a while now.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I'd like to see more on this also. I've always had V8 vehicles, and the sound of the V6 doesn't cut it. The Ecoboost is superior to the 5.0, but I don't want an exhaust that makes the V6 any louder. Is there a performance exhaust that keeps the stock sound?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I did a Corsa exhaust and AirAide cold air box and a Livernois tuner and it's awsome my gas mile has gone up since i added the tuner without the tuner the gas mileage went down with just the exhaust and cold air box. I also have 315/70/R17 Ford O.E.M Raptor tires and rims which the tuner is set up for those size tires. i am also adding a Livernois 170 degree customer thermostate.

Check out there site Livernois Motor Sports.com they sell the complete package.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Looks like Livernois is the way to go when it comes to tuning. I wasn't sure between Livernois and Unleashed Tuning. Rick at Livernois was just sooo much more helpful and knowledgable about the process. He was able to explain everything to me. A+ guy and products I'd say.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Good recommend guys! I am on the same fence in which way to go...

·
Supporting Vendor
551 Posts
I'm starting to think about some type of intake and exhaust system on my Truck. On my past pickups I've always done some sort of cold air induction and cat back system. Not sure how it would effect this engine, it's very different than anything I've had in the past.....Having said that, I've never really liked the sound of a V6 with cat back.....has anyone done these mods? And if so what did you do? What was the impact on performance and more importantly to fuel economy? How does it sound? Does it impact warranty? Thanks in advance............John
Those mods are the most popular mods on these and any truck. The Ecoboost trucks dont benefit as much from catbacks as they do from downpipes. That is a extemely restrictive part of the exhaust system. Removing the cats will give the truck that diesel like turbo whistle. V6s will sound like v6s. Stainless Works offers one of the best sounding exhuast, but it still doesnt sound like a V8. Intake the hands down choice for performance is the AFE Stage 2. Where these trucks shine the most is in the tuning department. A canned 93 Octane SCT tune will net about 50HP and 100Ft/lbs of Torque. No other gas engines see gains that significant.

I too am scared of what the sound might be from a cat back. If you are looking at it from a hp gain, you would be better off to do a y-pipe and keep the stock catback.
That is one of the most popular setups that we sell. Most people struggle with liking the V6 Sound, especially the V8 Guys, so they do our offroad Y-Pipe and leave the stock catback. They gain 60+ HP and are happy with the sound. (Still get the turbo Whistle.)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Those mods are the most popular mods on these and any truck. The Ecoboost trucks dont benefit as much from catbacks as they do from downpipes. That is a extemely restrictive part of the exhaust system. Removing the cats will give the truck that diesel like turbo whistle. V6s will sound like v6s. Stainless Works offers one of the best sounding exhuast, but it still doesnt sound like a V8. Intake the hands down choice for performance is the AFE Stage 2. Where these trucks shine the most is in the tuning department. A canned 93 Octane SCT tune will net about 50HP and 100Ft/lbs of Torque. No other gas engines see gains that significant.

That is one of the most popular setups that we sell. Most people struggle with liking the V6 Sound, especially the V8 Guys, so they do our offroad Y-Pipe and leave the stock catback. They gain 60+ HP and are happy with the sound. (Still get the turbo Whistle.)
Thanks everyone for the input.....will the Y-pipe without tuner or cat back improve performance and MPG? Also, what impact do these mods have on factory warranty? Thanks again...........John

·
Registered
589 Posts
John- I wouldn't recommend running any exhaust or intake mods without a tuner. The EcoBoost MPG takes a hit, but once you do use a tuner the MPG usally goes back up and past what you normal use to get. Like others have said the EcoBoost excels with a tuner installed.
As for Warranty it really boils down to the dealership. The best bet is to check with the ddealership you normal get your truck serviced at to ensure they are not going to hose you when the time comes to fix anything (Even if its not realted to the mods which is typical). Also if you get the right tuner that stores your factor codes which allows you to return it to stock if you have to take it to the dealer. Which is something I have always done on my past vehicles. Most dealership don't have issues with the intake or exhaust but tuners can be hit or miss. Good Luck and keep us posted!

·
Registered
589 Posts
I've heard great things about the Corsa exhaust for the F150 Ecoboost and it's the one I've been considering for a while now.
Dan- I finally went to the website and saw the youtube sound clip on the Corsa system. It does sound really good and I like the sound at idle!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

still on the fence on this......saw a great TV show on Speed channel where they took an EB 150 and put a heart throb 4" cat back, an Airaid intake and a super chips tuner and got over 50hp, forget the torque number but it was significant......with improved mpg......all for about $1k investment....sounds pretty good to me.........John

1 - 14 of 14 Posts