F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've narrowed my choice down between these two. I'm here to listen to reviews from people that actually have one of these systems on their ecoboost.

Airaid

K&N

I can get them for around the same price, I like the huge filter on the Airaid more than the smaller filter on the K&N although the K&N filter isn't tiny, just smaller than the Airaid. However, I like that the K&N kit comes with plumbing and smooth bellows for a less restrictive flow compared to the stock bellow'd plumbing the Airaid utilizes. From K&N's and Airaid's dyno sheets it seems the Airaid makes more power. Although, I'm not sold on manufactures being completely honest in that area.

If the K&N's filter was the size of the Airaid's I would already have purchased the K&N. I've also heard that the K&N you can hear the turbos even more.

I want to hear reviews from people that have these systems on their ecoboost, pros and cons. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
I love my airaid. I'm sure k&n is good too but I've never had it. My intake is really really loud. I wish airaid had the full length intake tubes but from everything I read it makes no difference on the dunk or for noise

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
K&n here! Makes a nice sound but didn't increase mpg or performance.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
If you ran only 1 time per mod than switch off that doesn't prove anything. You can run 3 times in a row and get couple of hp difference.

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
AIRAID...simple, effective, and yes you can hear the turbos more than with the stock air box. The K&N is a good piece too, but as you pointed out, the AIRAID filter is much larger. It also uses a synthetic layer that the K&N does not have. FYI, AIRAID also makes kits with "smooth" tubes for some trucks. They have a couple of 3D printers that they use to make test pieces from CAD drawings. If it had made more power with a different tube, they would have built it that way. It didn't make any power difference. Opt to spend the extra $10 for the dry filter....IMHO.....

2014-01-09 15.25.09.jpg

They just came out with this Power Aid TB spacer a couple of week ago. I will write a review on it when I have time. It does seem to help spool the turbos up just a teeny bit quicker.

2014-01-25 11.35.08.jpg

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Administrator
7,862 Posts
I've always heard dry filters are better than oiled filters. My main reason I've always bought dry filters is because they are easier to blow out with a compressor and no need to oil them

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

·
Registered
82 Posts
The S&B looks awesome. I'm waiting on that one. Release pushed back to Feb 14 now though.

Posted by my Droid

·
Vendor
1,517 Posts
I've always heard dry filters are better than oiled filters. My main reason I've always bought dry filters is because they are easier to blow out with a compressor and no need to oil them
It varies company to company. Dry filters are definitely easier to deal with, as far as general maintenance is concerned. Airaid told us that their oiled and dry filters have the same flow efficiencies and its really just a matter of preference.

aFe's filters do have different flow rates based on oiled vs dry vs their off-road Pro Guard 7s

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The S&B looks awesome. I'm waiting on that one. Release pushed back to Feb 14 now though.

Posted by my Droid
S&B will be a great option. I just can't believe they pushed it back AGAIN
:confused: your telling me.....
I just did a google search for this intake and while it does look good, Im worried about performance. Its a closed box system and I've read the closed box systems lost power on the dyno compared to open box options. Something like 20 ft/lbs. If im not mistaken someone at stage 3 motorsports said that.

·
Registered
82 Posts
S&B claim it is almost equal compared to open ones currently on the market. They also claim much higher filtration amount and also not to void any warranties.

Posted by my Droid

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Any gains using a drop in filter ?

·
Registered
838 Posts

·
Registered
929 Posts
I've been looking at the AFE Stage 2. Does anyone know how it stacks up against the Airaid? Is it more of a personal preference? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
All make noise lol

I would say personal preference.

·
Registered
42 Posts
AFE Stage 2 looks like garbage, completely made out of steel/aluminum on most of their models. I tried the AFE drop-in filters in my SHO's airbox and the oiled and dry were both more restrictive than paper.

The dry filters almost always flow about the same or worse than paper filters. There was a discussion awhile ago about Airaid dry vs oiled, and when you call/ask K&N/Airaid, they will say the oiled flows more by a small percentage (like 5%-7%) but someone pointed out a long time ago that it could be up to 50% difference in flow.

I'm curious as to whether the Airaid filters are more restrictive than K&N, hence why K&N's always make the turbos sound louder. The Airaid filters are also unnecessarily large. The RF-1041 filter from K&N that is used on the Crown Vic (200-260 hp stock depending on which year/police) can flow 800 cfm at 1.5 inH2O and goes up to 1000 cfm according to K&N. That's sized about right for EcoBoost, including the 2017 Ford GT assuming no other losses in the piping. Yet, the Airaid uses that weird oval tapered shape and is huge for no reason.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts