F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have had my 13 EB for 5k miles, and just yesterday felt the misfire on acceleration complaint. I had been driving straight for 6 hrs in damp/rainy conditions through PA and VA, stopped for fuel (about 15 mins) and hit the road. Truck started fine, ran good until the on ramp. I gave it pretty good throttle +75% and it started missing bad. My wife thought it was going to break down, but I let off the gas and feathered it along and it continued to miss about 30 sec (with CEL flashing). Settled down and drove another 8 hrs. Did feel it so slightly to pass a truck a few hours later. I am an independent tech, and it got me thinking to other boosted cars I have had. One older 5 cylinder volvos, they had a .125" hole in the lower (outlet) intercooler tank. I wonder if something like that could help the puddling effect of condensation. Interesting.

·
Registered
13,052 Posts
Very interesting. 14 hours in a f150. The seats ain't that comfy. but your story is probably true. Now that the honesty is out. Tell us more about your sweet ride. What color? I hope it's silver like mine.

& I hope you get it in quick to get fixed up !

eH

·
Registered
265 Posts
So I have had my 13 EB for 5k miles, and just yesterday felt the misfire on acceleration complaint. I had been driving straight for 6 hrs in damp/rainy conditions through PA and VA, stopped for fuel (about 15 mins) and hit the road. Truck started fine, ran good until the on ramp. I gave it pretty good throttle +75% and it started missing bad. My wife thought it was going to break down, but I let off the gas and feathered it along and it continued to miss about 30 sec (with CEL flashing). Settled down and drove another 8 hrs. Did feel it so slightly to pass a truck a few hours later. I am an independent tech, and it got me thinking to other boosted cars I have had. One older 5 cylinder volvos, they had a .125" hole in the lower (outlet) intercooler tank. I wonder if something like that could help the puddling effect of condensation. Interesting.
Take it in and get the tsb done first. See how it feels after that, not sure how many miles your truck has in total but you may benefit from changing your plugs or at least checking your plug gap. The drilling the hole in the CAC might work but I'd hold off on that for now

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Very interesting. 14 hours in a f150. The seats ain't that comfy. but your story is probably true. & I'm just an ass. Now that the honesty is out. Tell us more about your sweet ride. What color? I hope it's silver like mine.

eH
Its a 13 screw 157" sterling grey with lux package but I went with the 18" wheels. It's been rolling pretty well today, 18 mpg at 75. The headlights have been great (hid). I find after a few hours in anything I can deal with the seats. Not as comfy as my old 06 gmc slt but the ac seats are nice that it's getting warmer the farther south we go. I saw this morning that I have the upper intercooler shield, but nothing on the bottom. The hole could cause a maf code, I was just thinking out loud. On those old volvos they may have programmed the small intake leak, idk. Those were bottom to top flowing coolers though. Seems like any condensate that could form would collect near the outlet and easily be injested on hard boost. I guess I'll get the update, but it seems like if I know I'm in the rain for a long ride I just can't push it. Just a quirk in an otherwise great truck. It doesn't really seem like the trucks fault, the IC is just doing its job (moist warm air being cooled).

·
Banned
103 Posts
The condensation forms at the CAC outflow due to the pressure drop from the CAC inlet side to the outlet. Ford can either reduce the cooling efficiency of the CAC (Been there, done that...TWICE!) or keep the turboes spun down below the point of producing that slight boost that is required in order to have atmospheric pressure at the throttle plate.

This latter technique will result in a greater level, possibly more noticeable level, of turbo lag, which is why it hasn't been Ford's first choice.

Remove the shields, drill a hole, ignore the TSB ...

·
Vendor
1,173 Posts
7 day ban.

Get the RX system and fix ALL the related issues as over 200 can attest to. No drill hole needed.

The Volvo's run into this when the PCV separator box clogs and becomes in-effective causing a similar condition to the EcoBoost. When operating properly the Volvo has none of the issues like the EB as the PCV system does evacuate at all times unlike the EB that only evacuates at idle and low throttle from the factory allowing this accumulation.

Read more threads here on the issue, and look at the before and after pictures and descriptions and you will eliminate all of this before it starts to harm your engine worse.

Ask any detailed tech questions (your a tech so will understand easier than most I assume) and am happy to guide you through the cause of each of the related issues, and the cure.

Cheers!!

·
Banned
103 Posts
7 day ban.

Get the RX system and fix ALL the related issues as over 200 can attest to. No drill hole needed.

The Volvo's run into this when the PCV separator box clogs and becomes in-effective causing a similar condition to the EcoBoost. When operating properly the Volvo has none of the issues like the EB as the PCV system does evacuate at all times unlike the EB that only evacuates at idle and low throttle from the factory allowing this accumulation.

Read more threads here on the issue, and look at the before and after pictures and descriptions and you will eliminate all of this before it starts to harm your engine worse.

Ask any detailed tech questions (your a tech so will understand easier than most I assume) and am happy to guide you through the cause of each of the related issues, and the cure.

Cheers!!
Okay, I'll bite...

Question: Since the MAJOR source of atmospheric water ingestion bypasses the PVC system completely(***), and thus the catch can, how does the catch can prevent condensation from forming, pooling, at the bottom of the CAC end cap?

*** Except, maybe, at idle. But then you say the crankcase is properly evaculated at those times.

·
Registered
216 Posts
No ecu reprogram is going to fix this problem. I had it happen to me for the first time on Saturday. It is a design flaw with the intercooler. All intercoolers are going to collect a little moisture, the problem comes in that this one allows it to collect in an area that it can be picked up by a large throttle input and a sudden and extreme increase in flow and sent into the motor. Since I was really close to the house I limped it home and drilled a Very small "weep hole" in the end tank. Problem solved. I let it idle for about 15 min it dripped out a small puddle of caramel colored oil/water and I went out for a spin. I have no doubt it will never happen again and such a small hole will not affect performance.

·
Banned
103 Posts
No ecu reprogram is going to fix this problem. I had it happen to me for the first time on Saturday. It is a design flaw with the intercooler. All intercoolers are going to collect a little moisture, the problem comes in that this one allows it to collect in an area that it can be picked up by a large throttle input and a sudden and extreme increase in flow and sent into the motor. Since I was really close to the house I limped it home and drilled a Very small "weep hole" in the end tank. Problem solved. I let it idle for about 15 min it dripped out a small puddle of caramel colored oil/water and I went out for a spin. I have no doubt it will never happen again and such a small hole will not affect performance.
Most turbo charged engines, maybe even ALL except the EcoBoost, do not provide any level of boost except at WOT.

We all know that Ford has filed a myriad of patents to cover the various technological design enhancement involved in the process.

So it isn't the normal WOT "on boost" operations that are problematic.

In "high cruise" due to the airflow resistance/restriction of the CAC to airflow in order to keep atmospheric pressure upstream of the throttle plate the turboes must provide boost.

The CAC cools the pressurized cross flow down to OAT and now when the airflow expands back into the LARGE end cap volume it is cooled below dewpoint.

Change the firmware such that with partial throttle(***) the CAC outflow pressure can decline below atmospheric......PROBLEM SOLVED!

***The DBW throttle plate movement/position can be "remapped" to compensate for the variations in upstream atmospheric pressure.

Or.....

Drill a hole....

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
The CAC cools the pressurized cross flow down to OAT and now when the airflow expands back into the LARGE end cap volume it is cooled below dewpoint.
Did you really just write that?
The throttle is the restriction, there is no great expansion and cooling occurring in the leaving side tank...otherwise we'd be seeing below ambient conditions in the intake.

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
Hahahahahahaha haga omg that clip was awesome...yeah I said it...AWESOME!!! Lol

Sent from my HAL9000 using Tapatalk

Reactions: BlueMonte

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
Hahahahahahaha haga omg that clip was awesome...yeah I said it...AWESOME!!! Lol

Sent from my HAL9000 using Tapatalk
It runs through my mind each and every time I see a post from wwest....
:)

·
Banned
103 Posts
Did you really just write that?
The throttle is the restriction, there is no great expansion and cooling occurring in the leaving side tank...otherwise we'd be seeing below ambient conditions in the intake.
I'll accept "otherwise".

·
Registered
13,052 Posts
k where exactly should I drill a hole? I have a 12 & who's going on a road trip to Canada to help me install the can? Come on folks. Help a bro out here.

eH

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
Fo shizzle my wizzle I'll help you

Black Sheep of the Family

·
Registered
13,052 Posts
Ya I know. I was just asking for "other" people to the party

eH

1 - 20 of 43 Posts