F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 161 Posts

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My apologies, I didn't mean to hi-jack the SSI 93 0-60 thread earlier, so in the interest of staying on topic I'm starting a new one.

We all know that there are several options and brands available to upgrade your intercooler. I also know that this forum has sponsors that are dealers for one or more brands of these. When choosing any performance upgrade, I believe that factor number 1 is knowing where/how you are driving the vehicle (i.e. drag racing vs grocery getting, etc.).

In my case, it gets VERY hot/humid in summer (similar to you guys in south Texas), and I drive about 50/50 highway/city. I don't do any real off-roading, so no danger of damaging the unit in the stock location. I am starting with the typical bolt-on performance items that most people do but knowing that I plan to keep this truck for years to come, I will eventually get more serious about performance upgrades.

I have also acquired this lower grill insert with 10" LED light bar, which right now (in January) is certainly not causing any temp issues, but I have no idea if that will be the case come August. So with that information, please chime in with any experience or research you have done on upgrading the factory unit for a mild performance upgrade in high heat and humidity. Also, if you have seen any negative effects from a grille insert similar to this one. THANKS!
:confused:
  • Full Race (relocation)
  • ATP (drop in)
  • Wagner (drop in)
  • Bell (well known supplier but has anyone seen what they have for EB?)
  • Vortech (new - is it out yet?)
  • Others (what else is out there that's proven?)
grille.jpg

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
805 Posts
What are your technical requirements for an intercooler upgrade and long term goals? That will help define which one (of the ones with test results) that can help fit your needs.

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Eventually I will do a custom tune and exhaust, and at some point (say after the power train warranty expires), I may consider upgrading to larger turbos. But for right now, I'm going with an out of the box Hypertech tune and an AirAid CAI kit. I just did a leveling kit and tires/wheels and that's about it. I'm concerned about the temps with the mild mods I'm making now more than what I may do later. That said, when I do this upgrade, I would prefer to do it only once. Thanks!

What are your technical requirements for an intercooler upgrade and long term goals? That will help define which one (of the ones with test results) that can help fit your needs.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
805 Posts
Neither. Might take it to the track for sh*ts and giggles at some point, and maybe tow a small-medium boat trailer for short distances in summer.
In my opinion then I would look at the ATP or the Wagner as they're both cost effective and can handle what you're doing without a problem. The Full-Race is awesome looking and if you want something that looks fantastic (if you like big aluminum IC) then it's also a great option. I can't speak to the others as I don't carry them, the Vortech isn't out yet that I'm aware of for purchase.
All of the intercoolers I carry will give you less pressure drop across the IC and more flow than stock and have been tested. They also handle heat soak very, very well, so it just comes down to which ones you like the looks of best and your pocketbook. :)
No reason for overkill in my opinion with those requirements.

·
Registered
197 Posts
ATP Garrett has a great reputation with the fast and furious guys

·
Registered
838 Posts

·
Registered
838 Posts

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
Anyone else with real world experience on this want to chime in?

Pinero61, didn't you do the FR set up? If so, was there something specific that made you choose to relocate the CAC? Thanks!
He wanted to get it up out of the mud and mount a winch...

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
Thanks Scap, so you have the ATP? Since I'm not going to be muddin' my truck and I live in a similar climate to yours...do you think the ATP would work fine with that lower grille LED instert or would you suggest the FR and move it up?
Unless it completely fills the hole, you're probably ok.

1 - 20 of 161 Posts