F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a 2016 f150 with the 3.5Leco. The truck has been great so far though I have had 2 instances that have left me scratching my head. So twice now it randomly acts as if the battery is dead or has a low charge. First time it happened I parked my truck, shut it off, then 5 minutes later went to move it. When I went to start it I didn't turn it over long enough and it didn't start (finger slipped off the key). When that happened I immediately tried to start it again and it just clicked, as If a bad ground cable or something. The radio screen turned black, all the gauges remained lit but went to the low side and started shaking which was weird. So I put the battery charger on it and the next morning it started just fine. I took it to Autozone and the battery tested good under a load, alternator tested good. I did not throw a code reader on it though.

So it happened again yesterday, parked the truck, went to turn it on 15 minutes later, I'm not sure if it just didn't turn over enough to start or I failed keep the key turned but either way it didn't start. I was confident the battery wasnt dead so I sat their turning the key off and on and running it it through the gears. First it was just clicks, I then got half of a slow turn over, then clicks again. All while the radio screen black but gauges lit up and the gauges hard left and shaking again. I then got it to start but it behaved like the battery was drained with a very slow turn over, but just enough to fire up. I got it home, shut it off and started it over and over again, no problems. So yeah, I'm confused. I dont feel like it's a battery/alternator issue, maybe a grounding issue? A computer issue? Anyone here experienced this before or can point me in the right direction? Thanks for your help!

· Registered
2013 Screw XTR- No more. Too many issues to continue to fix the money pit
866 Posts
Start checking connections. Start at the battery and work your way back. Something, somewhere, is either corroded, shorted, or otherwise. Not much advice on this, except to be thorough. There's only so much wiring involved in it.

Also, use a wire brush if you're taking off connections, and clean any corrosion. All this is assuming that battery is good, which you already had tested.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice. I'll give that a whirl today and see what I can find.

Start checking connections. Start at the battery and work your way back. Something, somewhere, is either corroded, shorted, or otherwise. Not much advice on this, except to be thorough. There's only so much wiring involved in it.

Also, use a wire brush if you're taking off connections, and clean any corrosion. All this is assuming that battery is good, which you already had tested.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.