F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 2016 2.7 crewcab with 110,000 miles. As far as I know, the plugs are iridium, which can easily last 100k miles. I plan to pull a plug soon to check the gap, but would be surprised if it exceeds .032”. The service records do not detail a plug change, but they could have been. I may change them all if it has opened and has rounded edges. My question is: has anyone noticed a performance change they can feel after an early change at say 30k miles?

· Moderstrator
3,079 Posts

· Registered
2017 F150 XL 2WD 2.7, with some extra stuff!
2,130 Posts
Performance debatable, but I replace at 20000 out of habit. The OEM plugs in my tuned 2017 2.7 were MC SP542, fairly cold iridium plug, now discontinued. In went NGK 6510's (slightly colder still) gaped tight .026. The idle smoothed noticeably. On my 3rd set now and pulled a plug just to check, 15000 miles on it. Good and clean opened to near .030.
I change early because I'm old school wanting to check the engines condition, but I also half all maintenance intervals from the beginning some even sooner. Simply feel maintenance is cheap compared to failure. KM

· Registered
838 Posts
I’ve changed plugs three times, 30K, 60K and 90K miles. I gapped the first two sets of Motorcraft at 0.030 at the next change they had opened up to 0.035 give or take a thousandth or two. At 90K I installed a set of ruthenium NGK’s gapped at 0.035. I checked them at 120K and they were still at 0.035. Your experience my vary.

· Premium Member
17 Lariat SCLB Max Tow 4x4
1,211 Posts
I think my next set will be ruthenium’s. Heard lots of good things. Just put in Motorcrafts recommended on Rockauto.

· Registered
2019 f150 3.5 ecoboost crew cab 4x4 heavy tow package fx4 6.5' bed highly modified
6,678 Posts
I've been going back and forth on giving these a try. Maybe I will too on next set

Reactions: Boatwaco

· Registered
2,130 Posts
Ruthenium's big advantage is longer life, far as what I have learned. I still will swap plugs at 20000 so that is a moot advantage. What they do have is an interesting set of electrodes, specifically the ground "PSPE". KM

· Registered
249 Posts
Ive got a set of rutheniums on the shelf that i swapped out cause i thought i was getting some issues from them but that was not the case. Ill be putting them in on my next plug change. As for what butthead said the tip is suppose to help with greater spark/better burn

· Registered
2,130 Posts
NGK uses 2 tip types on ruthenium plugs.
"

Designed for every engine.
Ruthenium HX is available in two designs to best maximize the performance of your engine.
DFE (double fine electrode) maximizes ignitability, while reducing emissions for low-heat engines. This NGK-patented design is recommended for non-turbo applications.
PSPE® (projected square platinum electrode) provides the best ignitability and service life for high-heat engines. This NGK-patented design is recommended for turbo and supercharged engines." from Ruthenium HX™ Spark Plugs - NGK Spark Plugs.
How well it works I do not know as the iridium's have performed beyond my expectations. KM

· Registered
776 Posts
To the OP’s original query. The general concensus is that plugs do not last anywhere near 100k, at least not without gapping out.

i average about 30k between swaps to avoid any loss in performance. Have seen a .028 grow to .03+ in that interval. Running the current motorcraft oe spec which has changed a time or two in my tenure

· Registered
853 Posts
I am at 75, 000 plus miles on my OEM plugs and still running like a champ.

Oh, and just to rile up the boys that like to waste money with excessive plug and oil changes, I only changed my oil whenever the truck tells me to which is usually around 10,000 mi.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

· Registered
2,130 Posts
Never considered early part replacement and maintenance a waste of money. Then again bought an XL instead of a Platinum to save that money ahead of time. Thuuuuphfff-----! KM

· Registered
3,176 Posts
I am at 75, 000 plus miles on my OEM plugs and still running like a champ.

Oh, and just to rile up the boys that like to waste money with excessive plug and oil changes, I only changed my oil whenever the truck tells me to which is usually around 10,000 mi.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
I was with you on the plugs. I did mine at 65000 even though it was running perfect. But I’m good with it. Then you said oil and 10,000 miles in the same sentence. 😬😬

· Registered
249 Posts
For the cost of vehicles these days, spark plugs and oil are to cheap to do long intervals on. I change my oil every 5k and ill change my plugs every 30k and i say that cause ive only had the truck a year lol

1 - 20 of 71 Posts