F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know question is weird but I'm on the fence about getting a 14 at a discount because the dealers want to clear inventory for the 15's coming some day.

So is the 15 with new body worth the wait and the lose of savings?

Thanks Doug

·
Registered
903 Posts
Well seeing you live in Hawaii (salt environment), that would be the only reason I would go with the '15 over a deeply discounted '14 right now. I really see the advantage an all aluminum body will have in salty coastal/northern areas. I'd personally just go with the '14 and save that cash for fuel, mods, etc. Plus insurance and tag/title will be cheaper on the '14. It would take a long time for the 700 lb weight savings to break even in terms of fuel savings when compared to having that extra $7k in pocket that can be used on fuel.

And for what it's worth, I was on the same fence you are on and went with a discounted '14. Best of luck man

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, believe it or not I was looking for the answer above. I'm not really worried about the rust I never keep a truck long enough to see that. Except my 70 and its a chevy.

·
Registered
5,370 Posts
Thank you, believe it or not I was looking for the answer above. I'm not really worried about the rust I never keep a truck long enough to see that. Except my 70 and its a chevy.
If you don't plan to keep it too long, I'd definitely save the money

2011 OW FX4 Ecoboost Luxury package Screw 5.5, 3.73, S&B intake, Flowmaster 40, rear lift block delete, running board delete, tinted heads, dipped emblems, shorty antenna, tonneau cover, 33's on 20's. SSI tune

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Are they really slashing '14 prices? On the net around me, prices still look normal. A few trucks have $9K taken off but that's few and far between....I'd like to jump into a 14 maybe

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
On a slightly different note, I just paid more for a 2015 Expedition than I could've paid for a 2014 Expedition. I wanted the EB engine instead of the outgoing 5.4 V8. That alone was worth the money for me, but there were a few other design cues that also pushed me to the '15.

If I were in the market for an F150, I would get the '15. I'll readily admit that I tend to buy the nicer of whatever I'm buying so I can rarely settle for the old model when the new one is simply better. This is a huge purchase though and I know why you're torn. I personally keep my vehicles for a long, long time and am willing to spend more up front considering the amount of time I'll spend enjoying the nicer vehicle (or regretting the lesser vehicle).

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies guys! I would love to say I am going to keep this one forever but I haven't yet and don't see it happening anytime soon, I really should just lease but feel that is like renting to many requirements.

There are some pretty big saving incentives now at least out here close to $6500 and the 15's won't make it till March or so.

I guess I just need to go down and see what the bottom line is and that will determine if I need to wait for a premium price of the 15. Or I just keep my Taco and supercharge it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
There was not too much price slashing when I got mine (appx 6 weeks ago). I just decided to wait on the 15 and get a new 14. Let them work the bugs out of it for a few years until I am ready to trade. Maybe by then the new grill will grow on me.. :p
That said, I really love mine, so I am happy regardless.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Well seeing you live in Hawaii (salt environment), that would be the only reason I would go with the '15 over a deeply discounted '14 right now. I really see the advantage an all aluminum body will have in salty coastal/northern areas.
While aluminum doesn't rust it will corrode. Just ask any aircraft owner who stores his aircraft at a coastal airport. It's a constant fight to keep aircraft free of corrosion.

Aluminum alloys require surface treatment to prevent corrosion. Anodize, Alodine etc. Scratch the surface treatment and corrosion begins.

Look up filiform corrosion and aluminum exfoliation.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Jerryr, your correct on the corrosion stuff, take a look at my Vrod and you will see it is a never ending battle to keep the aluminum free from build up of corrosion. Plus if it gets under the coating, i.e. paint or even poor powder coating you can see a nice chalk build up. Screwed either way.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Btrow the are not really slashing prices just lots of incentives for the 14's. Plus this is my last semester of grad school and I would like to use that $1000 incentive as well. Get it where you can I say.

·
Registered
903 Posts
While aluminum doesn't rust it will corrode. Just ask any aircraft owner who stores his aircraft at a coastal airport. It's a constant fight to keep aircraft free of corrosion.

Aluminum alloys require surface treatment to prevent corrosion. Anodize, Alodine etc. Scratch the surface treatment and corrosion begins.

Look up filiform corrosion and aluminum exfoliation.
The point was, if you scratch up the body of a '14 down to the bare metal and then scratch the body of a '15 down to bare metal, what would you rather have: unsightly brown/copper colored rust coming through and seeping around under all of the paint in that body panel, or for the scratch to simply oxidize over and just be a white scratch. There are numerous photos of the test bed '15 trucks from earlier this year that Ford beat to hell and back in northern climates where snow/salt were present, and the scratches that went to bare metal simply oxidized over and didn't affect or bubble surrounding paint nearly as bad. Why? Because the aluminum "corrosion" oxidized and protected the surrounding metal. Steel definitely won't do that for you.

I agree though, uncoated aluminum can be an unsightly pain in the rear

·
Registered
23 Posts
Ive been shopping for a '14 for 2 weeks and through a dozen dealerships. They are pretty much all selling for dealer invoice plus rebates. That equates to about $9500 off or $12,250 if you want to count the HID and Luxury discounts already on the sticker. (2750).

My hoop to jump through was getting the most for my trade. I saw numbers anywhere from $19,000-$26,000. The dealer with no dealer fee gave the worst trade in numbers. The dealer with a $700 fee gave the best. Then i hit them with X plan and made the drop the dealer fee.

Obviously the dealer at $26,000 trade value is getting my business tomorrow.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I decided to buy the 2014 on a-plan because of the rebates and the interest rates Ford was offering,I also bought the best a 2014 lariat limited 4/4 with all available options blue jeans metallic.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
9 Participants
Vics F150
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing