F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2016 F150 3.5 ecoboost, 4x4, 157” wheelbase
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon, I have been thinking about getting an exhaust for my truck. Is it worth doing? Are there any kits to stay away from or is it all personal preference?

·
Registered
6,781 Posts
Good afternoon, I have been thinking about getting an exhaust for my truck. Is it worth doing? Are there any kits to stay away from or is it all personal preference?
Power wise, no.

Sound? Well, that depends on what you think sounds good. It certainly wont sound like a cammed V8

·
Registered
48 Posts
If you’re asking opinions, I’d would say if you are looking for performance I’d do catless down pipes before the exhaust, but if its for looks and V6 ricer sound is your thing then exhaust is the way to go! Just my $0.02

Reactions: boostkingMatt

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7 Ecoboost 3.55 Axle
412 Posts
It all depends on what you like. If you like a ricer sound, than exhaust is the thing. If not, then just do downpipes and keep factory muffler.
I originally got a 4” mbrp for my eco, but i hated the sound. Now I have catted downpipes and a Corsa dB exhaust which I highly recommend, and I love it. It’s got that sort of “diesel” like sound to it, and tons of turbo whistle for days.

I will hands down admit a v8 sounds way better than a v6, but a v6 has its place, and I think it sounds good.

Here’s a few videos of my Corsa exhaust

Reactions: eeore39648

·
Premium Member
697 Posts
Lots of opinions and choices circulating. In the end is it worth something for the purchaser on their vehicle in the way they use it.

I like the turbo V6 sound as well as the V8 rumble (that's due to sequential firing of the same bank center cylinders). I'm a believer in free flowing exhausts. I'm a cheap geezer. Also think any reference to "rice-ey sounding" displays a certain ignorance (the first production turbo 6 is the Corvair Spider and the Old Jetfire the first turbo V8, the Buick V6 was available in 1962, Ford Cologne 60 degree V6 1965, the first Japanese V6 1983 Nisan, (yes I am that old).

I chose a 4 inch catback Pypes system, and yes worth it. Loud when wanted, not obtrusive when needed, and a noticed boost in turbo response. Overall power increase I do not think much if any, I wasn't expecting any.
"or is it all personal preference?", YES! KM

·
Registered
59 Posts
I also went with the SPD resonator delete - made a noticeable performance improvement and no change in exhaust sound.

·
Premium Member
697 Posts
Something I forgot, but have a solid opinion on is the cab size, RC/SC/SCC make a difference in drone heard in the cab. The system on my truck has everything to make it drone unpleasantly in cab, 4 inch diameter from the downpipe, no resonator, large can straight thru muffler. But in my SC it does not drone unpleasantly. KM

·
Registered
7 Posts
I also went with the SPD resonator delete - made a noticeable performance improvement and no change in exhaust sound.
I think you have that backwards!? There is no power gained unless you are tuning for it, or running well over 500hp...

I’m going to assume you clamped it in without the muffler mod - because it almost double the stock exhaust volume and changes the tone.

·
Registered
2013 FX2 SCrew E30 5*,
18 Posts
When I was getting my delete pipe welded in I drove the truck to my buddies with the exhaust disconnected after the Y pipe. The truck responded to pedal input amazingly. It got up to speeds faster. The throttle tip in was borderline jumpy. I loved it. Then 10 minutes later I welded the delete in with the stock muffler. Truck returned to mellow slow take off. So after that experience I will absolutely be getting rid of the stock muffler for a straight through Quiet muffler system.
For the record the stock muffler Is Not a straight through design. Whenever I get the time to replace the stock muffler I will cut it open.
Im looking at flowmaster flowfx muffler.
JMHO

·
Registered
2016 F150 3.5 ecoboost, 4x4, 157” wheelbase
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Do you guys recommend a 4” system or 3”? I am tossing around getting heartthrob or banks.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I think you have that backwards!? There is no power gained unless you are tuning for it, or running well over 500hp...

I’m going to assume you clamped it in without the muffler mod - because it almost double the stock exhaust volume and changes the tone.
Nope - welded in. Probably 10HP, just enough to notice. Really helped with throttle tip-in and low rpm performance. I drove around with that change for several days just to get used to it before I uploaded the tune. Exhaust tone only changed somewhat on cold startup, and that is it. No change in interior resonance.

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7 Ecoboost 3.55 Axle
412 Posts
Do you guys recommend a 4” system or 3”? I am tossing around getting heartthrob or banks.
3” is better. Our engines just don’t produce enough hp to need 4” pipe. Unless you want the slightly different sound the 4” makes I don’t see why you’d need 4”

Reactions: F150Rusher

·
Registered
48 Posts
I am open to being corrected if wrong but I think I read somewhere on this forum that for a fellow not often holding near WOT a lot, 4 inch is “to big” and that 3 inch gains you more at the typical lower rpm like when just driving it on the street!?

·
Premium Member
2013 Ford F150 XLT 3.5 EgoBeast SuperCrew 4X4, 3.55 axles, 9.75" w/elocker
2,845 Posts
I am open to being corrected if wrong but I think I read somewhere on this forum that for a fellow not often holding near WOT a lot, 4 inch is “to big” and that 3 inch gains you more at the typical lower rpm like when just driving it on the street!?
Would be the case on normally aspirated engines. Isn't that simple downstream of turbos.

·
Premium Member
697 Posts
Yeah the "reason for backpresure" is worded wrong. Backpresure is bad in any case of performance modification. It's really scavenging of exhaust, timing of pressure waves to create better flow. There is no possible application for scavenging past the turbocharger, all that helps then is freer-flow. When I went to a 4 inch it sped up the turbo responsiveness allowing more boost at lower RPM's.
Notice "improved response" is not an overall gain in power. KM

·
Premium Member
697 Posts
Not a recommendation, but a 4 inch just made sense to me. And I like the low tune produced. Besides Heartthrob which uses I believe a chambered muffler, Pypes and Diamond Eye offer 4 inch straight thru systems without the raspy tone of MBRP, AFE and such. One other system interested me the Stainless Works 3 1/2 inch. KM

·
Registered
2013 FX2 SCrew E30 5*,
18 Posts
To get a visual. Think about a river. The river flows faster in a narrow part. ( smaller exhaust) But slows down in the wider parts. (Larger exhaust) Similar to exhaust sizes. You can get too big and too small.
If you like the 4” get it.

·
Registered
626 Posts
To get a visual. Think about a river. The river flows faster in a narrow part. ( smaller exhaust) But slows down in the wider parts. (Larger exhaust) Similar to exhaust sizes. You can get too big and too small.
If you like the 4” get it.
You are correct when talking about an NA engine. Your logic does not apply with turbo'd engines

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

Reactions: Arkansas Eco
1 - 20 of 38 Posts