F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2014 F150 Ecoboost SCREW 12,000 miles

I have had a very persistent fuel in oil issue as those of you that frequent this forum know. The dealer has performed TSB 15-0003, checked for leaking HPFP, checked for leaking injectors, and replaced HPFP. The only thing the dealer says that is left to try is to replace all the injectors, which is planned. My service manager agrees that there is an issue that needs to be corrected, although Ford does not. I have never had a check engine light.

My oil level rises to at least 3/8 inch over full within a few hundred miles of change. The level will then usually remain fairly constant except now it is nearly a full inch above full. The rise from 3/8 above to 7/8 above took place in just two 35 mile drives. If I drive 150 to 200 miles straight the level will drop to full or very close to full. Each oil change has had an analysis and has shown from 4% to 6% fuel dilution. I have had seven oil changes in the year I have owned it.

The Ford "hotline" that the dealer receives guidance from is now saying that my issues are caused by using poor gas. I always use "top tier" 87 octane fuel, which is the recommended octane although the manual does say premium will improve performance. I don't just buy fuel anywhere, although I am told that all the fuel around here comes from the same refinery. I suppose I could try 89 or 93 octane, but I just don't think that is causing my issue.

Has anyone switched to higher octane and had an improved fuel in oil issue or or noticeable performance improvement? What are the opinions out there on the possibility of a buy back or lemon law case if replacing the injectors fails to solve the issue? I feel it is very likely I will have premature engine failure do to the compromised oil quality that i have experienced.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Wow! That's horrible. I don't see how your fuel usage is causing fuel in oil. How much do you let the truck idle?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow! That's horrible. I don't see how your fuel usage is causing fuel in oil. How much do you let the truck idle?
I only let it idle a very minor amount. I let it run 15-30 seconds before putting it into gear. It is possible it idles a few minutes at a time here and there. I don't shut it off at stop lights, LOL. I plug it in if it is colder that 10F which seems crazy. I have never plugged anything in before -20F.

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
I would say to give it a try. Run a couple tanks of 93 and see. If it doesn't help then mention it to your dealership. It's a relatively way of troubleshooting.

I still have fuel dilution but it is much less than what it was. About a year ago my fuel dilution was so bad that it was pushing oil into the cylinders, it was blowing out blue smoke like a beat up pinto. Ended up being O2 sensors were causing the fuel trim to be maxed out. Which was causing incomplete combustion and massive blow by. Since they replaced the sensors it hasn't happened again.

But I still think about replacing injectors. So please do keep us updated if they replace yours. My tech was adamant that the pump would not leak by the way it was designed.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ended up being O2 sensors were causing the fuel trim to be maxed out. Which was causing incomplete combustion and massive blow by.
Did you get a "check engine light" for your issue?

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
Did you get a "check engine light" for your issue?
I did not.

The first sign was upon startup I noticed some blue smoke and burnt oil smell that cleared up within a second or two. Then after a day or two of that (I was in the middle of my work week so I couldn't take it to the dealership) it started constantly blowing blue smoke, more and more. Enough that you could see where I had driven for almost a mile. They did the fuel in oil TSB which included changing oil. Then within a week the blue smoke on startup started again. That's when they discovered the fuel trim.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did not.

The first sign was upon startup I noticed some blue smoke and burnt oil smell that cleared up within a second or two. Then after a day or two of that (I was in the middle of my work week so I couldn't take it to the dealership) it started constantly blowing blue smoke, more and more. Enough that you could see where I had driven for almost a mile. They did the fuel in oil TSB which included changing oil. Then within a week the blue smoke on startup started again. That's when they discovered the fuel trim.
How far up the stick was the oil when you had the blue smoke? I have had a puff of smoke a few times but I would say it was more white than blue. When the truck had a few hundred miles on it I was above the full mark by about an inch and a half. the TSB was performed and that seemed help for a time. The usual has been that it between the full mark and the first bend of the stick, about 3/8". Right now it is just below the bend, about 3/4"

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
How far up the stick was the oil when you had the blue smoke? I have had a puff of smoke a few times but I would say it was more white than blue. When the truck had a few hundred miles on it I was above the full mark by about an inch and a half. the TSB was performed and that seemed help for a time. The usual has been that it between the full mark and the first bend of the stick, about 3/8". Right now it is just below the bend, about 3/4"
The oil appeared to be just above the bend. I get my oil measured every oil change and when the oil is just about at the bend I have about 1/4 a quart extra volume. It is nearly impossible to get a good read on these dipsticks for some reason, lots of ideas of how to do it. But only way I know is to wait for it to be cold enough outside that the oil is thick as molasses. lol.

Reactions: norcal_ecoscrew

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The oil appeared to be just above the bend. I get my oil measured every oil change and when the oil is just about at the bend I have about 1/4 a quart extra volume. It is nearly impossible to get a good read on these dipsticks for some reason, lots of ideas of how to do it. But only way I know is to wait for it to be cold enough outside that the oil is thick as molasses. lol.
That really surprises me that just about to the bend would only be 1/4 qt extra, although that would jive with the 4 to 6% dilution the analysis has shown. Yes, the stick read is a real pain, but I have had a lot of practice.

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
Why would fuel change this? It won't. It is blow by and DI.

Look at my thread in my sig. My oil has benn +5% both times. Amsoil analysis only reads up to 5% fuel dilution on their tests and mine has maxed it out both times. My fuel level does not rise on dipstick though, due to catch can.

The one idea is to turn off the cold start feature in a tune....this is being tested soon hopefully.

Bottom line, run good oil. My Amsoil is still protecting and testing ok with that much fuel in oil.

For the record, I only run premium.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Agreed fuel is fuel I don't see how running premium would change your current situation.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Agreed fuel is fuel I don't see how running premium would change your current situation.
I am in total agreement. This is just what is being told to my service manager by the "experts".

1 - 12 of 12 Posts