F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7 Ecoboost
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I apologize for the goofy title, I already know some about tuning, but I’m looking to tune my 2.7 soon, and want to know what others experiences are. Are you guys blowing things up? Or having issues?
I’m set on using Brew City Boost for my tune, they claim 80hp increase to a stock truck.
Anyway, does anyone have any pointers? Any dos or don’ts?

·
Premium Member
9,053 Posts
I haven't been here forever, but over the last 3 years I haven't seen any reports of any trucks damaged by tunes from the most reputable tuners that are listed here.

The tunes that you mentioned are from one of the tuning companies that has a good track record and reputation here.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Reactions: boostkingMatt

·
Registered
5,878 Posts
The only times Ive seen people that have had issues were when people were trying to squeeze every last bit of power out of their truck/tunes and usually using then as race trucks doing 4 hi launch after launch.
And a lot of those times they were using questionable fuel/quality, plugs...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The only times Ive seen people that have had issues were when people were trying to squeeze every last bit of power out of their truck/tunes and usually using then as race trucks doing 4 hi launch after launch.

Yeah, I’ve never launched in 4x4, never will. I want my truck to be really fast, but I’m not going crazy with like extreme di fuel systems or injectors or E50 fuel, just 91 octane, and custom tuned so my truck can make the most of my mods which include CAI, downpipes, and exhaust.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Datalog and go through the tune revision process with whomever you decide to use. Use the best quality fuel available if you plan to run that 80 hp tune. Also monitor fuel quality/OAR and knock at WOT. Purchase new spark plugs and gap them to whatever your tuner prefers.

Stay on top of maintenance intervals using good fluids and your 2.7 should hold up just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
9,053 Posts
You're on the right track and as stated, a pretty well documented one with good safe history and a lot of happy grins.

Reactions: boostkingMatt

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

BCB has a good reputation? Is ther
Datalog and go through the tune revision process with whomever you decide to use. Use the best quality fuel available if you plan to run that 80 hp tune. Also monitor fuel quality/OAR and knock at WOT. Purchase new spark plugs and gap them to whatever your tuner prefers.

Stay on top of maintenance intervals using good fluids and your 2.7 should hold up just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Yeah, I am planning on purchasing pre gapped plugs from BCB with the tuner.
I change my oil every 3000 miles

·
Premium Member
610 Posts
Specifically on the 2.7 and BCB tunes. Have been tuned for 30000 miles thru BCB. Never worried about the warranty and tuned my new 2017 within the first 6 months of delivery. Picked BCB outa the hat because I live in SE WI about 40 miles away. Have the base "caned" tunbes Mcgyver and Highlander and a custom street 93 octane tune. The Highlander produced an easily noticed power gain, around .5 seconds off 0-60 times logged. It's a variable octane tune and I use that on long road trips, no problems with OAR which stays -.50 to -.96. I use the performance tune in the summer, very strong low end too much for cold wet pavement, easily another .5 off 0-60. Have not considered other tuners as these run so good yet return an average year round 20 MPG. Don't know if your interested in logged graphs but this was logged last Dec. Highlander installed. about 35 degrees local temp.

Truck equipped as described in my signature. KM

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Specifically on the 2.7 and BCB tunes. Have been tuned for 30000 miles thru BCB. Never worried about the warranty and tuned my new 2017 within the first 6 months of delivery. Picked BCB outa the hat because I live in SE WI about 40 miles away. Have the base "caned" tunbes Mcgyver and Highlander and a custom street 93 octane tune. The Highlander produced an easily noticed power gain, around .5 seconds off 0-60 times logged. It's a variable octane tune and I use that on long road trips, no problems with OAR which stays -.50 to -.96. I use the performance tune in the summer, very strong low end too much for cold wet pavement, easily another .5 off 0-60. Have not considered other tuners as these run so good yet return an average year round 20 MPG. Don't know if your interested in logged graphs but this was logged last Dec. Highlander installed. about 35 degrees local temp. View attachment 170699
Truck equipped as described in my signature. KM
That is really interesting. Well, I won’t hesitate to use BCB then. I heard good things, and I’ve seen amazing results from them. I don’t know squat about tuning though. I have no idea how to even do a data log... do you think I’m under estimating how much power I will have after I get all the kinks worked out and have a custom done? I was hoping for around 400whp and 460 torque

·
Registered
6,343 Posts
That is really interesting. Well, I won’t hesitate to use BCB then. I heard good things, and I’ve seen amazing results from them. I don’t know squat about tuning though. I have no idea how to even do a data log... do you think I’m under estimating how much power I will have after I get all the kinks worked out and have a custom done? I was hoping for around 400whp and 460 torque
400 whp on a stockish 2016 2.7 is gunna be a stretch I would say. The turbos just are not that big, even smaller that the 2013-2016 3.5 turbos, which are being pushed to make 400 whp. Maybe if you had all the bolt ons and ran some ethanol you could get there.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
400 whp on a 2016 2.7 is gunna be a stretch I would say. The turbos just are not that big, even smaller that the 2013-2016 3.5 turbos, which are being pushed to make 400 whp. Maybe if you had all the bolt ons and ran some ethanol you could get there.
Hmm, true. Maybe 370-380 is more like what it would be.

·
Premium Member
9,053 Posts
Hmm, true. Maybe 370-380 is more like what it would be.
It's just me, but forget the numerical value and just aim for the additional grins that come along with a well tuned Ecoboost and transmission.

(the tranny improvements play a big role in the overall experience)

Those guys are going to be able to provide you with a quality outcome, regardless of some target number that is or isn't reasonable.

·
Premium Member
610 Posts
Forgot about the transmission tune that BCB employs. The caned tunes work very well with my 6 speed. Mcgyver is primarily towing oriented particularly in the downshifting, it does so early on a downslope, and holds the gear a bit longer than stock for upshifts. Highlander was orriginally good, well behaved even in sport mode. I wanted firmer shifts so uped the shift pressure between 1-2 and 2-3 by 5%. When working with Casey at BCB I described what I wanted, he added the pressures to the custom 93 octane tune for me. Some may think it shifts harsh, firm solid and quick is what I wanted and now have. I have done valve bodies on old muscle cars and my F150 shifts like a valved turbo 400 from the 1970's. KM

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It's just me, but forget the numerical value and just aim for the additional grins that come along with a well tuned Ecoboost and transmission.

(the tranny improvements play a big role in the overall experience)

Those guys are going to be able to provide you with a quality outcome, regardless of some target number that is or isn't reasonable.

Thanks for that, I think I just need to realize our trucks are not super cars, they’re trucks.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Forgot about the transmission tune that BCB employs. The caned tunes work very well with my 6 speed. Mcgyver is primarily towing oriented particularly in the downshifting, it does so early on a downslope, and holds the gear a bit longer than stock for upshifts. Highlander was orriginally good, well behaved even in sport mode. I wanted firmer shifts so uped the shift pressure between 1-2 and 2-3 by 5%. When working with Casey at BCB I described what I wanted, he added the pressures to the custom 93 octane tune for me. Some may think it shifts harsh, firm solid and quick is what I wanted and now have. I have done valve bodies on old muscle cars and my F150 shifts like a valved turbo 400 from the 1970's. KM
Wow. That’s insane.

·
Premium Member
9,053 Posts
Thanks for that, I think I just need to realize our trucks are not super cars, they’re trucks.
But they are Super Trucks.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
But they are Super Trucks.

Well, true, compared to other factory built trucks, they are super trucks. But I think what I want my f150 to do I just need a mustang for that.
I basically want my truck to pull good enough to make people grab the door handle and put a smile on people’s faces, mainly mine.

·
Premium Member
9,053 Posts
I like your description of hanging on, and there are some Ecoboost trucks that would catch the unsuspecting customer by surprise. But yea, it's easier, and cheaper, to do that with a Mustang.

And to be completely honest, if that's your intention with your truck, you picked the little brother Ecoboost to the one that's got more aftermarket/tune potential anyways.

With the 2.7 I have a different strategy. The average person has no clue that you could possibly have a motor that tiny in that big Ole truck. So get it tuned for 93 and running good and strong. Don't brag or raise any expectations. Then when you quietly let the reins out on it, the passenger WILL notice and say something like "Dang, this truck is fast. What do you have in it?"

You get to smile and say "you wouldn't believe me if I told you. Let's just say your Camry has a bigger motor"

I read somewhere that at the time Ford released the 2016 2.7 F150, it was the smallest motor put in a full sized pickup truck since the WW2 Era. (Dodge had released a truck with less than 2.7, if memory serves)

In my opinion the 2.7 Ecoboost is actually building its own legacy right under our noses while the coyote and 3.5 get all the marketing glory. The 2.7 is an amazing motor in so many ways.

·
Premium Member
610 Posts
Just a comment from the guy's at BCB on my truck,
"Casey and I test drove the truck afterwards and I was astounded. It rode like a perfectly-mannered luxury sports car. Firm enough to throw it around with total confidence, yet buttery smooth over bumps. Plus with 3.73s this tuned 2.7 freggin boogies! My only complaint was that I bought the Fox setup for my truck and now I’m jealous!"
BCB Facebook comment on Icon's
Casey's 2.7 crew has a solid 500 rwhp on E50 downpipes and upgraded turbos. KM

·
Premium Member
9,053 Posts
You're killing me. Lol

I need me a RegCab 2.7 for a daily hooligan driver!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts