F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7 Ecoboost
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I like your description of hanging on, and there are some Ecoboost trucks that would catch the unsuspecting customer by surprise. But yea, it's easier, and cheaper, to do that with a Mustang.

And to be completely honest, if that's your intention with your truck, you picked the little brother Ecoboost to the one that's got more aftermarket/tune potential anyways.

With the 2.7 I have a different strategy. The average person has no clue that you could possibly have a motor that tiny in that big Ole truck. So get it tuned for 93 and running good and strong. Don't brag or raise any expectations. Then when you quietly let the reins out on it, the passenger WILL notice and say something like "Dang, this truck is fast. What do you have in it?"

You get to smile and say "you wouldn't believe me if I told you. Let's just say your Camry has a bigger motor"

I read somewhere that at the time Ford released the 2016 2.7 F150, it was the smallest motor put in a full sized pickup truck since the WW2 Era. (Dodge had released a truck with less than 2.7, if memory serves)

In my opinion the 2.7 Ecoboost is actually building its own legacy right under our noses while the coyote and 3.5 get all the marketing glory. The 2.7 is an amazing motor in so many ways.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
See, that’s the joy in it. Honestly, my 2.7 blows me away every time I give it the throttle. She continues to impress. I think my truck is fast as it is, heck it’s faster than my dads 2016 5.0, can’t even imagine when I get it tuned.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a 2016 2.7 and I bought a SCT BDX tuner device. Very easy to use, good for beginners into tuning. I bought my custom tunes from 5-star and I'm planning on moving to Brew City. If you do tune your 2.7, youre gonna have to replace your spark plugs for optimized performance. Also be specific if you have a modded exhaust, air intake, or other modifications to your engine. These little motors are built like a tank, but what youre gonna wanna watch for is the transmission, look up your transmission's max torque and hp ratings so you don't blow it up. I haven't had any issues as far as reliability and engine performance, I love the power gains, but I messed up using the wrong tune for a modded downpipe. My high flow catalytic converters blew out from too much fuel.

·
Premium Member
621 Posts
Country-Bryant, the plugs are not mandatory and if you checked your OEM plugs were SP 542 which was the recomended cold plug from BCB, it has been changed now with the whole MC numbering system. BCB did NGK 6510 a SP 542 equivalent, with the tuner package. Sad news is currently BCB has stopped tuning. KM

·
Registered
6,403 Posts
I have a 2016 2.7 and I bought a SCT BDX tuner device. Very easy to use, good for beginners into tuning. I bought my custom tunes from 5-star and I'm planning on moving to Brew City. If you do tune your 2.7, youre gonna have to replace your spark plugs for optimized performance. Also be specific if you have a modded exhaust, air intake, or other modifications to your engine. These little motors are built like a tank, but what youre gonna wanna watch for is the transmission, look up your transmission's max torque and hp ratings so you don't blow it up. I haven't had any issues as far as reliability and engine performance, I love the power gains, but I messed up using the wrong tune for a modded downpipe. My high flow catalytic converters blew out from too much fuel.
These transmissions are very stout. They won't blow up unless you are boost launching them all the time, or just have plain old bad luck.

3.5's make more power and are not blowing them up. And 5.0's are making 700, 800, 900 hp and can get by without issues.

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7 Ecoboost
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Country-Bryant, the plugs are not mandatory and if you checked your OEM plugs were SP 542 which was the recomended cold plug from BCB, it has been changed now with the whole MC numbering system. BCB did NGK 6510 a SP 542 equivalent, with the tuner package. Sad news is currently BCB has stopped tuning. KM
Just saw that they stopped tuning. So, to all you guys here, who would you use if you were me since BCB isn’t doing tuning now?

·
Premium Member
986 Posts
Just saw that they stopped tuning. So, to all you guys here, who would you use if you were me since BCB isn’t doing tuning now?
I would personally recommend BK, GH, 5* , or Unleashed. They are all outstanding tuning companies. You will not sacrifice your trucks reliability running any of their tunes. Maintenance is key especially when you start to turn up power.

I sway more towards Matt and BK due to how much time I’ve spent working with them. But you can’t go wrong with any of the ones I listed above.

·
Premium Member
986 Posts
BK? Who is that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bk is @Boostking. Very intelligent and friendly tuner on this forum. All honesty, the best there is. This man is top of line and was the mentor to many of the well know tuners today.

He’s always done custom tunes privately but just recently branched to be more public. Not only does he make flawless tunes, he cares about your truck. He wants what’s best for your truck. The cherry on-top is he lets you know exactly what’s going on. Only a few do that with their customers.

You can reach him thru email or if you’re lucky thru the forum.

His email is [email protected]

·
Registered
80 Posts
Thanks for the info! When I am ready to get mine tuned I will def give him a shout.

·
Premium Member
3,717 Posts
Bk is @Boostking. Very intelligent and friendly tuner on this forum. All honesty, the best there is. This man is top of line and was the mentor to many of the well know tuners today.

He’s always done custom tunes privately but just recently branched to be more public. Not only does he make flawless tunes, he cares about your truck. He wants what’s best for your truck. The cherry on-top is he lets you know exactly what’s going on. Only a few do that with their customers.

You can reach him thru email or if you’re lucky thru the forum.

His email is [email protected]
I absolutely love working with Brett! Highly recommend!

His site is under construction, but soon to be up.

https://www.boostkingtuning.com/

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I will definitely be using @Boostking in the future when I decide to pursue a dedicated 93 performance tune. He has been a wealth of information to this forum and many big names in the industry over the years!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
832 Posts
Thank you guys so much!

Reactions: SrpRacing
21 - 32 of 32 Posts