F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought my 2016 F150 2.7 as a CPO last August (2019). Unfortunately in my research I didn't come across the leaky 2.7 oil pans until after purchase. At first glance I kneel and and take a look...there she blows. It's even harder to catch on mine because of the FX4 skids.

In October I had Ford do a warrantied replacement with extremely specific instructions. I did extensive research on what "worked" for others and Ford played along. We let the block drain from Tuesday - Friday, and let the new pan cure from Friday - Monday before putting oil in to ensure the seal. I was told a 2 year warranty on the work from Ford.

Decided to take a look last weekend (roughly three months later) and the whole thing is saturated again. Oil level is fine, still sitting near max, but what gives? Is it really impossible to seal?

My official questions are this:
1) Are there any long-term success stories of the poly-oil pan getting replaced and NOT leaking?
2) I know there's an aftermarket upgrade for the solid alum out there. More than willing to do that, but does anyone know what affect that might have on the powertrain warranty?

All opinions and comments appreciated. Fellow owners who want to share their pain also appreciated (make me not feel so alone here).

·
Registered
292 Posts
Not mine it's dry as new with 30000 miles on it now. From what I have found out is that it's a problem with out of specification mold run resulting in old stock from the bad lot being used.
Figure I got a good one. For what it's worth that is about the only regularly reported problem with the 2.7. KM

·
Premium Member
5,928 Posts
We have a couple of 2.7's, both 2016's.

One of them got a new oil pan somewhere around 25,000 miles. It was the service department that noticed the leak during an oil change. Handled through warranty.

It's been better than a year and seems to be good.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We have a couple of 2.7's, both 2016's.

One of them got a new oil pan somewhere around 25,000 miles. It was the service department that noticed the leak during an oil change. Handled through warranty.

It's been better than a year and seems to be good.

That's hopeful. I'd just love to know what went different. We let mine dry completely and cure completely, not sure what else can be done in the process to ensure it wont leak...but that's what I'm looking for.

To me, a bad lot makes sense in a vacuum but across this many vehicles and years seems unlikely. Material lots are typically small batches (for this exact reason) and dont take years to purge from stock. OR...I'm just the most unlucky person on the earth and got a new pan, 3 years later, from the same lot batch mine was made from. Again possible but so unlikely.

Does anyone know if swapping the pan to an aftermarket one will void powertrain?

·
Registered
6 Posts
You can check out this YouTube video on the replacement if you’d like. Been a while since I watched it but IIRC a fast cure sealant was used.

·
Premium Member
5,928 Posts
Excellent video.

You gotta be READY once that RTV is applied!
I'm guessing that's got a limited margin of error to consider. And I'm also betting some percentage of installs weren't within those limits?

One-time-use was news to me as well.

·
1,931 Posts
As this seems to be a repeat problem for more than 1 or 2 owners, I was wondering if anyone had considered making their own fiber material gasket. I know that’s a pretty outdated concept by todays standards but my head tells me it just might be worth a try.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As this seems to be a repeat problem for more than 1 or 2 owners, I was wondering if anyone had considered making their own fiber material gasket. I know that’s a pretty outdated concept by todays standards but my head tells me it just might be worth a try.
I'm open to all options. I've removed and reinstalled many pans in my day, although none were poly-based. A good cleaning, a good RTV and patience during cure is typically good enough to hold fine.

My main concern would be not violating the powertrain warranty. As crappy as losing the truck for a week every year might be, its not worth losing the entire warranty in my opinion. Anyone have any input on that?

·
Registered
11 Posts
My 2015 2.7 has 169,000 miles on it. I’ve replaced the drain plug twice but that’s the only leak issue , other than the trans pan, that I’ve had.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts