F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Modinstrator
3,110 Posts
Pretty sure there is a thread on here that talks about using a metal oil pan. If I remember correctly @RMB_Ryan sells them.

·
Premium Member
9,088 Posts
Is there a metal pan for the 2.7?

That leaking oil pan is pain on the 2.7

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Modinstrator
3,110 Posts
Heck, must have screwed up. I thought the metal was for the 2.7. My bad.

·
Premium Member
9,088 Posts
Yea, the Gen2 3.5 was released with the plastic pan just like the 2.7.

Ironically, Ford switched back to the metal for the 3.5, but the 2.7 seemed to have more instances of leaks.

Though the mating surface of the 2.7 is more complex, from my understanding.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm the guy that had the skirt/stiffener replaced. The 2nd(!!!) oil pan since having the skirt replaced is now leaking. I'm going to try a dealer in another town and see what happens. Still have 15k warranty left.

·
Registered
115 Posts
At what point do you just say "forget it", and let it be? Top oil off as necessary and live with it as a nature of the beast. If i were in this situation, i may do it once, otherwise it's insanity to keep having it done knowing you'll be right back in this situation In short order.

·
Registered
7,415 Posts
At what point do you just say "forget it", and let it be? Top oil off as necessary and live with it as a nature of the beast. If i were in this situation, i may do it once, otherwise it's insanity to keep having it done knowing you'll be right back in this situation In short order.
Haha all of us first Gen 3.5 owners with weep holes in our CACs drop all over the place. Like the oil tray under the oil filter on the 3.5s leaks for days after an oil change.

A bit of seepage ain't hurting anything. In fact you know there's oil in it lol. Be glad it isn't a chevy or Dodge that eats all the oil.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Haha all of us first Gen 3.5 owners with weep holes in our CACs drop all over the place. Like the oil tray under the oil filter on the 3.5s leaks for days after an oil change.

A bit of seepage ain't hurting anything. In fact you know there's oil in it lol. Be glad it isn't a chevy or Dodge that eats all the oil.
Thats what im saying. My timing cover has leaked for 5 years Now, but not enough to ever cause an oil level drop between oil Changes. I chock it up as rust prevention of that particular part of the frame. It'll get fixed when my time comes to replace the timing chain.

I would imagine a company like Dorman will come out with an aluminium pan for the 2.7 eventually, as addressing common failures is their area of expertise.

·
Registered
2018 2.7L STX 4x4 Screw
13 Posts
I just took my 2018 2.7l in for the Works oil change. It’s the first one since I bought it about 8 months ago from Carmax. Ended up part of the plastic for the filter that holds it in place was broken and I have a leak on the back side of the motor. I have 24 days left on my 3/36k warranty so I’m dropping it off this week to get looked at. The filter part was covered under warranty and they said the leak should be too. I’ll keep y’all updated.
On a side note, they quoted $206 to change rear break pads and turn rotors. I feel that’s a bit outrageous, is it a hard job to do in your driveway?

·
Premium Member
9,088 Posts
I wouldn't say it's outrageous considering labor rates these days. But yea, you can probably find it cheaper somewhere.

Lots of folks here have done their own brake upgrades, so I wouldn't think it's complex. I don't know of anything that's unusual about our F150 brakes other than the rear electric e-brake built into the caliper.

Reactions: CodyJay

·
Registered
2018 2.7L STX 4x4 Screw
13 Posts
Good to know! I figured it’s a bit more complex than my 95 I had previously, but I didn’t think it would be that much different. I’ll have to check out some more threads and a video. I’ll keep you updated on my oil leak. I was hopeful that my 2018 wouldn’t be a part of the previous model issues. Thank you for the input!

·
Registered
2018 2.7L STX 4x4 Screw
13 Posts
They replaced the oil pan with the new one that has a press in gasket based on the TSB 19-2189, all under warranty. The break job that was supposed to be $206 jumped to $380 after trying to turn the warped rotors and ending up too thin. I talked to the shop manager and he gave me the internal price and ended up paying $283 for it all. It was a bit more pricy than doing it myself but way better than full price! That dealership just got my business from now on if I need real work done.

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7 Ecoboost
137 Posts
Bought my 2016 F150 2.7 as a CPO last August (2019). Unfortunately in my research I didn't come across the leaky 2.7 oil pans until after purchase. At first glance I kneel and and take a look...there she blows. It's even harder to catch on mine because of the FX4 skids.

In October I had Ford do a warrantied replacement with extremely specific instructions. I did extensive research on what "worked" for others and Ford played along. We let the block drain from Tuesday - Friday, and let the new pan cure from Friday - Monday before putting oil in to ensure the seal. I was told a 2 year warranty on the work from Ford.

Decided to take a look last weekend (roughly three months later) and the whole thing is saturated again. Oil level is fine, still sitting near max, but what gives? Is it really impossible to seal?

My official questions are this:
1) Are there any long-term success stories of the poly-oil pan getting replaced and NOT leaking?
2) I know there's an aftermarket upgrade for the solid alum out there. More than willing to do that, but does anyone know what affect that might have on the powertrain warranty?

All opinions and comments appreciated. Fellow owners who want to share their pain also appreciated (make me not feel so alone here).
My 2016 2.7 doesn’t seem to leak.

·
Registered
15' FORD SCAB XLT 4X4 2.7 EB
23 Posts
I took mine to the dealer 2 weeks ago cause I had oil on the cold side of the drivers side turbo and the oil pan was wet (this was before I knew about this oil pan weeping issue), After the Nor Easter we had, they gave me a call and said the timing cover was leaking and that where it was leaking was getting oil on the turbo (also before I knew about the oil pan issue), Got a call today, and they told me that they fixed the leak and so on. I mention the oil pan issue (cause now I know about it), and he told me they replaced it because it has to be removed in order to fix the timing cover leak and cant be reused once it is removed because it's plastic. So anywho, I gots a new pan. Am I glad I signed up for the Ford Premium Care Extended Plan when I bought my truck cause the factory warranty was up.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm planning on ordering a 2021 F-150 with the 2.7 and I am still confused as to whether or not Ford has gone back to a steal oil pan. I have read conflicting reports all over the internet. Can any 2021 2.7 owner say with certainly whether their truck has the composite pan or the metal pan?

In any case, it is difficult for me to stomach a plastic oil pan on a vehicle designed for tough work. Makes no sense...it's just insulting cost cutting nonsense, especially given what these trucks cost.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I, too, am old and have also had lots of "machines" from the 60's-90's that had reeeaaaal oil leaks. Good thing was that back then most could be fixed with a new gasket and a little time. This 2.7 doesn't even have a 'real' gasket. Sheesh.
I remember when GM discarded gaskets for stamped steel rocker covers in 1978. Used RTV. But to make matters worse the RTV seeped something into the oil that when passed through the PCV and burned in combustion, destroyed the O2 sensor which appeared in 1980 models.

Lots of trouble sealing stamped steel rocker covers. Hard to stamp and maintain a flat surface after monkeys tighten bolts.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bought my 2016 F150 2.7 as a CPO last August (2019). Unfortunately in my research I didn't come across the leaky 2.7 oil pans until after purchase. At first glance I kneel and and take a look...there she blows. It's even harder to catch on mine because of the FX4 skids.

In October I had Ford do a warrantied replacement with extremely specific instructions. I did extensive research on what "worked" for others and Ford played along. We let the block drain from Tuesday - Friday, and let the new pan cure from Friday - Monday before putting oil in to ensure the seal. I was told a 2 year warranty on the work from Ford.

Decided to take a look last weekend (roughly three months later) and the whole thing is saturated again. Oil level is fine, still sitting near max, but what gives? Is it really impossible to seal?

My official questions are this:
1) Are there any long-term success stories of the poly-oil pan getting replaced and NOT leaking?
2) I know there's an aftermarket upgrade for the solid alum out there. More than willing to do that, but does anyone know what affect that might have on the powertrain warranty?

All opinions and comments appreciated. Fellow owners who want to share their pain also appreciated (make me not feel so alone here).
Just got my 2017 2.7 Ecoboost F150 back from the dealer. They just installed the 4th oil pan. The first oil pan started leaking at 11,000 miles. Two more installed since then and now the 4th one installed last month. I was assured that the dealer had their senior master tech make the repair this time. The service writer said it was a bad design from Ford. That's reassuring. So even if they have their best tech do the work it sounds like they are not certain it won't leak again. If the best dealer technicians they have can't stop the leaks, maybe the Ford engineers need to come up with a better TSB or oil pan design.

41 - 60 of 62 Posts