F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 84 Posts
Discussion starter · #21 ·
Registered just to post - I have a 2017 Sport with the 2.7 Ecoboost. I'm the second owner, purchased in May. Had the oil pan replaced by the dealer I bought it from just before I purchased it. Found a leak about a month later - local non-dealer shop suggested taking it to a different dealer. They replaced it a *second time. Was fine for a month - leaking again. The second dealer contacted Ford and Ford told them to pull the engine and replace the skirt and lower crankcase - apparently the first dealer didn't follow the service guide and used a tool to pry the oil pan off and damaged the skirt.

This is being done this week - will post when i get it back and let everyone know how it went - I have concerns with the engine being split but we'll see.
Nice. I've heard of this happening before and it apparently "solved it." I'll probably push for it if it happens again.

It's reasonable to be worried, but just keep in mind every time Ford touches it you get another 2 years warranty on those parts. Good luck and keep us posted! Thanks for sharing!

Registered just to post - I have a 2017 Sport with the 2.7 Ecoboost. I'm the second owner, purchased in May. Had the oil pan replaced by the dealer I bought it from just before I purchased it. Found a leak about a month later - local non-dealer shop suggested taking it to a different dealer. They replaced it a *second time. Was fine for a month - leaking again. The second dealer contacted Ford and Ford told them to pull the engine and replace the skirt and lower crankcase - apparently the first dealer didn't follow the service guide and used a tool to pry the oil pan off and damaged the skirt.

This is being done this week - will post when i get it back and let everyone know how it went - I have concerns with the engine being split but we'll see.
Thanks for that idea. I will do the optional dealer. Next closest dealer is 35 miles away. I’m going to show them your post about changing the skirt and crankcase. Really have enjoyed the truck but, not doing much for my mood. Will let you know this afternoon what they say. Thanks, again!

My 2.7 oil pan has been replaced 3 times, and it still leaks...but this time it is very minor with just a glistening bit of oil showing up in one location at the pan/block seal. It's not running down the pan at all...just enough of a seep to be visible. I'm done with replacing oil pans for now, and will try to learn to live with this even though it goes against my OCD tendencies. The service manager at my dealership said that if the leak gets worse he will attempt another fix even though the truck will be out of warranty by then. We shall see..

Here is my dilemma: I don't like the leak, but I'm concerned that another repair attempt will result in a worse leak than the minor seep I now have. Any opinions?

Reactions: snakebitten
Discussion starter · #24 ·
My 2.7 oil pan has been replaced 3 times, and it still leaks...but this time it is very minor with just a glistening bit of oil showing up in one location at the pan/block seal. It's not running down the pan at all...just enough of a seep to be visible. I'm done with replacing oil pans for now, and will try to learn to live with this even though it goes against my OCD tendencies. The service manager at my dealership said that if the leak gets worse he will attempt another fix even though the truck will be out of warranty by then. We shall see..

Here is my dilemma: I don't like the leak, but I'm concerned that another repair attempt will result in a worse leak than the minor seep I now have. Any opinions?
First, your warranty shouldn't matter so long as they've replaced the pan within the last 2 years. Ford dealer parts/service has a 2 year warranty regardless of your vehicles warranty. You should not have to pay for this if within that time period.

Second, next time you take it in for it, have them check the squareness of the lower block to ensure its not warped, as a few have mentioned this being the root cause of the leaks.

If your warranty is almost out, might as well do it sooner than later to avoid any issues.

First, your warranty shouldn't matter so long as they've replaced the pan within the last 2 years. Ford dealer parts/service has a 2 year warranty regardless of your vehicles warranty. You should not have to pay for this if within that time period.

Second, next time you take it in for it, have them check the squareness of the lower block to ensure its not warped, as a few have mentioned this being the root cause of the leaks.

If your warranty is almost out, might as well do it sooner than later to avoid any issues.
That's only if you pay for the parts/ service. They don't re-warranty warranty repairs.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Got my 2017 back on Tuesday. They wound up lifting the cab to do the repair, but everything looks great. Lets hope that replacing the skirt/stiffener is the answer. Its still a plastic oil pan with silicone sealant - Ford really needs to rethink that solution in the future.

Exactly how I would deal with it.

I know the ocd in you doesn't like ANY oil escaping the motor, but logic says that there is ZERO threat of harm to anything other than ocd itself.

I'm old. I've had lots of "machines" from the 60's-90's that had reeeaaaal oil leaks. These modern machines have spoiled us.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Discussion starter · #28 ·
That's only if you pay for the parts/ service. They don't re-warranty warranty repairs.

Interesting. That is not my experience.

Loose example, but I had sunroof ARM repairs done under warranty a year ago. Had sunroof problems recently. It wasn't the arms, but Dealer was clear that if it was, it would've been covered due to the part/service warranty from a year ago. Had nothing to do with my vehicle coverage. But it wasn't the arms so I'm open to being wrong since it didn't play out that way.

So you're saying, after my powertrain warranty is up, I can't get this repaired for free anymore even if they performed the repair very recently?

Interesting. That is not my experience.

Loose example, but I had sunroof ARM repairs done under warranty a year ago. Had sunroof problems recently. It wasn't the arms, but Dealer was clear that if it was, it would've been covered due to the part/service warranty from a year ago. Had nothing to do with my vehicle coverage. But it wasn't the arms so I'm open to being wrong since it didn't play out that way.

So you're saying, after my powertrain warranty is up, I can't get this repaired for free anymore even if they performed the repair very recently?
Yes that's what my dealer told me. They will repair it while it's under basic and powertrain. After that if it fails again you can pay for the parts and then you get a 2 year unlimited on that part. (parts only not labor).

Exactly how I would deal with it.

I know the ocd in you doesn't like ANY oil escaping the motor, but logic says that there is ZERO threat of harm to anything other than ocd itself.

I'm old. I've had lots of "machines" from the 60's-90's that had reeeaaaal oil leaks. These modern machines have spoiled us.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
I, too, am old and have also had lots of "machines" from the 60's-90's that had reeeaaaal oil leaks. Good thing was that back then most could be fixed with a new gasket and a little time. This 2.7 doesn't even have a 'real' gasket. Sheesh.

Reactions: snakebitten
Well - new skirt didn't help. Oil pan started leaking again after 2 weeks. Just got back from the dealer, they will put in the 5th oil pan on Thursday. About ready to contact Ford directly or join a class action against them. The 2015 had a steel pan and gasket, the 3.5's went back to a real gasket. Did they have surplus on RTV and are just trying to get rid of it?

Let's see photos. I want to see these "leaks"... I think y'all are nuts. Unless you've got drips of a oil staining the driveway it isn't a "leak".

Heck my 79' Scout leaks everywhere and it's all been re-sealed. Doesn't make me hate it and cry about some seeping.

Reactions: TurboGT
Let's see photos. I want to see these "leaks"... I think y'all are nuts. Unless you've got drips of a oil staining the driveway it isn't a "leak".

Heck my 79' Scout leaks everywhere and it's all been re-sealed. Doesn't make me hate it and cry about some seeping.
I have a large box that a guitar was shipped in 2 weeks ago that looks like a full bottle of new oil was spilt on. It is a significant leak this time around - worst its been.

A truck with under 40k miles on it shouldn't be leaking a quart of oil a month.

I have a large box that a guitar was shipped in 2 weeks ago that looks like a full bottle of new oil was spilt on. It is a significant leak this time around - worst its been.

A truck with under 40k miles on it shouldn't be leaking a quart of oil a month.
Okay, I admit that is crazy!

Someone else posted they were replacing the whole bottom engine skirt.

Discussion starter · #37 ·
I dont have any pics of my previous leaks, but it was more like heavy saturation (+debris) all over the entire black plastic pan. Keep in mind the FX4 skids can block driveway signs.

In my experience its certainly slow but seems more expansive than typical seepage. Its not dry, very wet to the touch.

2017 2.7L bought it April 2018 with 21k miles, now today 109k never had the oil pan replaced or resealed, I do my oil changes every 5000 miles and never seen a leak, I do nothing but off-road and highway driving in West Texas oil field, this truck has seen some horrible bumby county/lease roads for months at a time as my job requires me to go out to the middle of no where half the time I have even kept the shield plates off since it hit 40k because I got tired of removing it every 5000 and still never had a problem. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones, cross my fingers nothing starts now.

I dont have any pics of my previous leaks, but it was more like heavy saturation (+debris) all over the entire black plastic pan. Keep in mind the FX4 skids can block driveway signs.

In my experience its certainly slow but seems more expansive than typical seepage. Its not dry, very wet to the touch.
it took a while but, got it repaired. Just hope it lasts! Did go to a second dealer that had a great service department. They suggested I call Ford Customer Relations. I found the Tech Service Bulletin and read up on it before I called. The estimate for the repairs was $807. I wigged out until Customers Relations called that Ford would cover $660. Repairs made so now I do is watch the driveway and hope!

Bought my 2016 F150 2.7 as a CPO last August (2019). Unfortunately in my research I didn't come across the leaky 2.7 oil pans until after purchase. At first glance I kneel and and take a look...there she blows. It's even harder to catch on mine because of the FX4 skids.

In October I had Ford do a warrantied replacement with extremely specific instructions. I did extensive research on what "worked" for others and Ford played along. We let the block drain from Tuesday - Friday, and let the new pan cure from Friday - Monday before putting oil in to ensure the seal. I was told a 2 year warranty on the work from Ford.

Decided to take a look last weekend (roughly three months later) and the whole thing is saturated again. Oil level is fine, still sitting near max, but what gives? Is it really impossible to seal?

My official questions are this:
1) Are there any long-term success stories of the poly-oil pan getting replaced and NOT leaking?
2) I know there's an aftermarket upgrade for the solid alum out there. More than willing to do that, but does anyone know what affect that might have on the powertrain warranty?

All opinions and comments appreciated. Fellow owners who want to share their pain also appreciated (make me not feel so alone here).
I'm replying as one of those that is currently having a oil pan leak problem(2016 2.7 engine). At about 56k a leak was noticed when taking it in for an oil change. Since the warranty is up at 60k I went to the dealer right a way. Got the repair done in June. Thought all was good but the leak started again in September. Another trip to the dealer with a resulting second attempt. Just in time for Christmas the leak started again. Repair three (or attempt) was made. Just noticed today, it's leaking again. I was assured on the 3rd attempt that everything was done according to the TSB. What is problematic is the time between visits to the dealer. I barely made a month and a half on this last repair. I have contacted an attorney about getting a settlement. At this point I'm a little desperate. I haven't found any alternative oil pan solutions. Doing a fiber gasket sounds good, but doing the repair myself is a little beyond my skill set.

21 - 40 of 84 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.