F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My father-in-law is contemplating trading his F-250 KR in for an ecoboost after having driven mine. Someday soon I plan on buying an SCT programmer and eventually getting some custom tunes. I understand that when ordering custom tunes, the tuner will require the strategy code from my truck but is the specific strategy code needed to run the canned tunes? This brings me to my intended question: If my F-I-L wanted to play around with tunes, could he load a canned tune from my programmer to "test it out" before buying his own? If our strategy codes just so happened to be identical, could he load one of my custom tunes??? Are there any ramifications of doing this, if its possible, and what are they?

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
It is possible to switch between trucks but it will count towards your unlocks on the device. You just can only have 1 vehicle tuned at a time.

·
Registered
7,411 Posts
No it is not, only 1 vehicle at a time can be married to a device. It's either tuned or stock not both.

Voz got to it first. You have 5 unlocks/ marries with a brand new tuner. You have to have the tuner in a back to stock state before you can use it on another vehicle. If your f-I-L is paying for half your tuner i'd say sure.

·
Premium Member
4,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No it is not, only 1 vehicle at a time can be married to a device. It's either tuned or stock not both.

Voz got to it first. You have 5 unlocks/ marries with a brand new tuner. You have to have the tuner in a back to stock state before you can use it on another vehicle. If your f-I-L is paying for half your tuner i'd say sure.
OK so you and Voz are saying that if he wanted to try a tune, I would have to return my truck to stock (to un-mary it) before being able to load a tune onto his, yes? And we would only be able to do this a few times before it gets locked out?

·
Registered
7,411 Posts
Yup you got it figured out.

Reactions: Grim Reaper

·
Premium Member
4,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yup you got it figured out.
Thanks guys. I was kinda assuming those were the answers but could find a solid information anywhere and figured someone on here would know.

·
Registered
13,052 Posts
OK so you and Voz are saying that if he wanted to try a tune, I would have to return my truck to stock (to un-mary it) before being able to load a tune onto his, yes? And we would only be able to do this a few times before it gets locked out?
I'm not sure about that. I wonder if it stores both trucks in memory & both can be used as only 2 unlocks.

When I sold my 2012, I un married it. Obviously. & used my x4 to tune my 2015. But now I have 4 unlocks left.

I wonder if I went back to my truck, it's still on the lot & ran a canned tune? Hmm. Wonder if I would be down to 3.

Sent from my iPad Air using The app

·
Registered
664 Posts
Thanks guys. I was kinda assuming those were the answers but could find a solid information anywhere and figured someone on here would know.
The easier thing to do would be to let him drive your tuned truck. If they were identical.

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
Also, wondering that if the stragedy code for your Pops (soon to be) Boost wasn't he same as what yours is... the SCT would not program . Probably would need a call to SCT direct to change it over, than ask if the device will hold two different strategy codes. :unsure:

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Also, wondering that if the stragedy code for your Pops (soon to be) Boost wasn't he same as what yours is... the SCT would not program . Probably would need a call to SCT direct to change it over, than ask if the device will hold two different strategy codes. :unsure:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the assumption that canned tunes don't need the strategy code but custom tunes do???

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
I'm wondering what happens when you take your truck in and Ford reflashes the ECM?
At that point it's not the standard stragedy that you started out with as a baseline for the canned tune?
I think busting off a phone call to SCT would be advised.

·
Premium Member
4,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm wondering what happens when you take your truck in and Ford refreshes the ECM?
At that point it's not the standard stragedy that you started out with as a baseline for the canned tune?
I think busting off a phone call to SCT would be advised.

I think you may be correct. I'll call and report back here with my newfound knowledge. LOL :)

Reactions: meaz93

·
Premium Member
4,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think you may be correct. I'll call and report back here with my newfound knowledge. LOL :)
I just called and talked to SCT's technical support. Their official stance is: A vehicle strategy code is NOT needed to run a canned tune as it will treat any F150 with a 3.5 EB, the same way, regardless of 4x4, gear ratio, etc. This could be why a canned tune is a bit more rough-around-the-edges due to it's more generic offering. The strategy code comes into play when custom tuning to tweak vehicle-specific parameters.

Reactions: meaz93
1 - 14 of 14 Posts