F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after test driving a used ecoboost I have been converted. I was looking into getting a 2500 chevy with the 6.0L but I always liked the f150 with the ecoboost. I am a college student and do landscaping on the side. So the question is. Do you think that 27k for a used XLT ecoboost f150 with 30k miles is worth it? I am trying to get the vehicle price down a little more.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I paid $37k+ for my new 2013 XLT Super Crew 4x4 without a lot of extras.

Havent been in the used truck market ever, really, so I cant comment on $27k being a good deal for that truck I'd start with KBB.com

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
What year?

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Welcome to the F150 EcoBoost Forum!
To help answer your question it would help to know the following:

Configuration? Year?

SPPD

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry about that! Its a 2011. It was owned by an older man who passed away and willed the truck to his son who traded it in for a 3500 diesel. The truck has some stains on the cloth seats and only one scratch on the paint that i can see. All and all a very clean truck.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
They had a 2011 Lariat SCREW with the 6.5 ft bed that had 70k miles on it for $30,000 at my dealer. Way over priced if you asked me.....

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
Sorry about that! Its a 2011. It was owned by an older man who passed away and willed the truck to his son who traded it in for a 3500 diesel. The truck has some stains on the cloth seats and only one scratch on the paint that i can see. All and all a very clean truck.
Even with the mileage they're asking a bit much for it IMO, I was looking at an '11 platinum for around the same price/miles when I bought my '13. I live on the gulf coast though, trucks are cheaper here than in the rest of the country.

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
Seems high. Is that what they are asking, or is that what you negotiated down to?

·
Registered
13 Posts
That's a little high. You can probably get a 2013 super cab for not much more than that. I paid 33.5k for my 2013 super crew that had a sticker price a little over 45k. Most the time I've found that you can get a new truck for not a whole lot more than a couple year old truck.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I bought my used 12FX2 Screw w32k miles for $25k in August

·
Registered
227 Posts
My 2013 XLT with the chrome package stickered at 39,900 I got down to 32-

I guess if you take an average out of all the responses 27K for 30K miles is too much...I'd push them down and then ask for some additions. Bed liners? Homelink installed, tonneau etc. Best way to haggle.

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
... Most the time I've found that you can get a new truck for not a whole lot more than a couple year old truck.
That's been my experience too, and why I usually end up buying new. Also, do you plan to finance or pay cash? If you must finance, then you usually can get a good interest rate on new vehicles. Also, this is the time of year you can get great deals on 2013s. They want to get them off the lot before they become 1 year old ... as well, winter is usually the slow season for dealerships ... so they are more willing to negotiate.

I would only buy used if I had the cash and make a "low ball" offer.

BTW, you still don't say the model and if it's 4x4 or 2x4? Or if it's a Regular Cab, Super Cab or Super Crew. Also if it has the Tow Package or what other options it has. These can make a big difference in price.

I'm in Canada (and we pay about 10-15% more than the same vehicle in the US). Ford Canada is advertising brand new 2013 XLT Regular Cabs with 2wd for about C$24,500.

Add 4wd, Super Cab, Locking rear differential, and you'll add nearly $10K to the price. And various options can quickly bring that up more.

I suggest getting a COMPLETE list of options and then compare it to a new Ford at their Website. You may find you are okay with a lower model (XL or SLT) and pay even less or get a higher model for not much more ... especially when you consider the low interest rate Ford Credit is offering on new trucks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
So, from what I am hearing, check out the new prices on the 2013's and try to get rebates. Or, get the price of the used one down. What would be a fair price to where I am getting the better deal? It has 4x4 and a tow package. Would 23K be a fair price?

·
Registered
900 Posts
i was in the same situation when looking last time.. The used 11-12's were around 28 to 30k. Salesman said the new ones are about the same.. So we looked around and found my new '13 xlt supercrew. Sticker price was 40,900 and i got it 28k. With ttl it was right at 30k.. Got 13k for my trade in and was able to pay cash for my new truck..

So definetly look at a new one.. The 14's are coming and dealers are ready to get rid of the 13's

Here in texas they have new '13 Lariat 4x4's for 31k

·
Registered
202 Posts
My 13 lariat 4x4 with sunroof max tow and almost every other option sticker was 55k I walked out the door at 34k ttl... they had a12 Platinum with 37k miles and they wanted 39k. I've learned new is better if you are looking at under 4 years used. Especially right now my dealer had 6 rows of f150s that's probably almost 100 trucks

·
Registered
13 Posts
So, from what I am hearing, check out the new prices on the 2013's and try to get rebates. Or, get the price of the used one down. What would be a fair price to where I am getting the better deal? It has 4x4 and a tow package. Would 23K be a fair price?
Is it a super cab or crew cab? And what other options does the used one have?

·
Registered
873 Posts
As a consumer you're in a fun position. Thanks to cash for clunkers, the used car market on the low end was decimated. That shifted your used car buyers into nicer used cars, all that was left, and your used car prices up throughout the used spectrum. So were seeing used vehicles retain prices they may not have in the past. Mix with that the demand for the ecoboost and you have high used ecoboost prices.

Dealers/financing cos on the other hand have resorted back to selling/financing very sub prime borrowers to take advantage of the sales while the rates are "low" and people actually believe the economy is "ok". The result is selling trucks as fast as they can at discounted prices. This plays perfect into the business plans that most major dealers follow to get their $ at the service and not the sale. (At least as I've been told at Mac haik here in Georgetown)

So you've got good options at new. If you're using the truck to work, and I've been I the field you're in, I wanted a truck that always ran. When my truck was down my whole crew was down. Id avoid a build date of 11-12 as they seem to have the most instances of the ecoboost issues. Not saying the 13s don't, but I read about them much less often. Otherwise is go with something less complicated like a very low mileage 2010 5.4 that is a very battle tested engine. It won't pull like the ecoboost, but it won't have the potential problems of a used 11-12 ecoboost.

My .02 for what it's worth

·
Registered
227 Posts
My 13 lariat 4x4 with sunroof max tow and almost every other option sticker was 55k I walked out the door at 34k ttl... they had a12 Platinum with 37k miles and they wanted 39k. I've learned new is better if you are looking at under 4 years used. Especially right now my dealer had 6 rows of f150s that's probably almost 100 trucks
How on earth did you out the door at 34K

·
Registered
202 Posts
How on earth did you out the door at 34K
Lol I guess just like your name. ... actually I went into the dealer abs looked at my truck they gave me a BS offer I told them where to put it and left. ... 3 weeks later I start getting tons of calls from the salesman, sales manager begging me to come talk to them with a deal I couldn't refuse. I finally went back in unannounced and began working that deal. I really had no full intention of buying that night and was trying to get out of the deal anyway I could justify in my head. They messed up the rebate Sheet and I jumped at that saying I don't do business with dishonest people (I just bought wife's Explorer there month before). The sales manager began scrounging everything to save the deal and doubled the missing rebates giving me a total of 13k in rebates. Along with quite a chunk off sticker. I did get screwed on trade in by about 2k but still loaded f150 and only financed 15k. I'm thrilled with my deal. Afterwards I found a reason they were so desperate for my truck. ... it had day on there lot for 7 months.

·
Registered
227 Posts
But still, I got my XLT for 2K less than that...fully loaded lariat 4x4 for 2K more. Man oh man the happy thoughts haha

My screen name, if you'll put it is my last name (Armstrong) backwards.

Congrats on that grab even if it was on the lot for 7 months!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts