F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,508 Posts
Front wheel well is 1/4 inch higher with WDH and trailer than without. Isn't that where it should be, close to measurement without WDH and trailer?
I'd say "close enough" for that one single aspect. How much rear squat do you have at that point?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
I'd say "close enough" for that one single aspect. How much rear squat do you have at that point?

Did not take note of rear squat. I'll check it tomorrow. Water tank is filled with bleach/water solution overnight to sanitize after removal of winterize stuff from factory. That 1/4 difference is with empty trailer. Need to load for a camping trip and remeasure.

·
Premium Member
4,508 Posts
Did not take note of rear squat. I'll check it tomorrow. Water tank is filled with bleach/water solution overnight to sanitize after removal of winterize stuff from factory. That 1/4 difference is with empty trailer. Need to load for a camping trip and remeasure.
I like that you've switched over to a methodical approach. I'm confident you can get the weight balanced using those efforts.

That's the "physics"

After that, the improvements are a matter of better performing components. Things like stiffer sidewalls and improved damping.

It only makes common sense that damping that gives a nice smooth ride in an empty truck is NOT ideal for giving a good ride with 1500lbs of weight added to the equation.

Running empty and then running pretty close to max load is as far as a difference as possible!

Still, one thing at a time. And that's exactly what you are doing. Cheers!

·
Registered
192 Posts
I've been towing travel trailers for almost 40 years...here's what works for me:

Adjust WDH to give 100 percent FALR...front tires inflated to factory recommendations...rear tires inflated slightly over factory recommendations. This is for P-rated XL tires. Inflating the front tires too much will add to the light feel on the steering. I've discovered it's a balancing act to get everything to work together and provide a comfortable towing experience, especially with a soft suspension and passenger rated tires.

YMMV

·
Registered
35 Posts
On a travel trailer.....There is so much room to put junk in the front of the trailer. Propane bottles and batteries were mentioned also. Does the trailer sit level? If it's down in the front...Then it's loading to forward trailer axle more than the rear......You want it level to distribute the load evenly. My truck squats with the boat on it. 9100lbs total. But I can compensate with the adjustable height of the hitch. This keeps the trailer level.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
IMG_4917.JPG Trailer empty, truck full bag of fuel.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Oh hell... Tow that thing all day long and enjoy!.. :) Just adjust the WD hitch as needed as you will need to dial it in for how you load it up, but in general, it looks good from the pic.

Mitch

·
Registered
93 Posts
Oh hell... Tow that thing all day long and enjoy!.. :) Just adjust the WD hitch as needed as you will need to dial it in for how you load it up, but in general, it looks good from the pic.

Mitch
Agree with mitch. Looks good to me! FWIW, my rear squats a little with the trailer hooked up. I haven't done anything in relation to it though.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My 2 cents from someone who felt the same condition you did, same truck. Tire side wall flex. I switched from 04 F150 with Goodyear Wrangler LT's to and brand new 2018 with some sweet riding Michelins. Took me a while of tweaking things then it hit me....that's gotta be it! Side note, 2018 2.7L ecoboost, 10 speed tranny will flat OUT TOW the 5.4L V8!!! Loving the feel of a truck not struggling to get to the top of a long interstate incline!🏁🏁

41 - 50 of 50 Posts
About this Discussion
49 Replies
21 Participants
ronwalt
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing