F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 2017 crew and the OEM 20inch PVD wheels are all chipped and or peeling around the edge from either bad mounting or the wrong cleaning chemicals. Now I am in the market for something in chrome to replace them in the same size and close to factory offset as possible. I prefer a flush face on the wheel. One shop said PVD is the way to go and another said the industry is phasing it out because of adhesion problems. Both shops are well respected in our area. What are your thoughts and suggestions for wheels that would fit the bill?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
470 Posts
I recently purchased a 2017 crew and the OEM 20inch PVD wheels are all chipped and or peeling around the edge from either bad mounting or the wrong cleaning chemicals. Now I am in the market for something in chrome to replace them in the same size and close to factory offset as possible. I prefer a flush face on the wheel. One shop said PVD is the way to go and another said the industry is phasing it out because of adhesion problems. Both shops are well respected in our area. What are your thoughts and suggestions for wheels that would fit the bill?

how many miles on the truck? you might be able to get them replaced under warranty if you are under 36k miles

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
We tried that before I bought it. Ford denied it. The dealer compensated me for new wheels if I so choose.

·
Administrator
4,077 Posts
PVD is usually really good, durable, and chip/peel resistant. It has been used instead of chrome plating for these reasons for many years.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
PVD is usually really good, durable, and chip/peel resistant. It has been used instead of chrome plating for these reasons for many years.
That's seems to be the opinion when I researched it but in reality the selection in PVD is very, very limited. Then I was told it's essentially being phased out. I'm having very difficult time finding wheels that I want. Lots I like in black and actual chrome but not PVD. Makes me think there's some truth to the matter.

·
Administrator
4,077 Posts
Interesting. I thought it was because it’s safer for the environment.
It is lighter than chrome medium (2-3 pounds per wheel)
More resistant to road salt in winter months than chrome
Easier and inexpensive to recoat than chrome
AND.....
PVD is a more environmentally friendly substance than chrome

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Then why is the selection so limited? I'd consider having mine recoated but nowhere around me does it.

·
Administrator
4,077 Posts
Then why is the selection so limited? I'd consider having mine recoated but nowhere around me does it.

I'm not sure? It's an extremely similar process to powder-coating, maybe you could contact some local powder-coating companies and see if they do PVD?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Digging this one up....tried searching for peeling PVD chrome wheels and this was the best option I saw.

Is there no way to repair the peeling? I just noticed one wheel is peeling today and had never seen or heard of this before.

Or, is there a competent and durable wheel that will work off road? I'm not a rock crawler, but I don't want a wheel to bend due to some awkward and difficult terrain issues. Prefer a chrome look since I have a Lariat and don't want to look like I have aftermarket wheels. Nothing against aftermarket wheels, just not the look I really want for this vehicle.

Rob

·
Registered
6,783 Posts
More tire, less wheel! = more durable offroad!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts