F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2014 F150 Screw, 3.5 EB, 3.73 rear axle, max tow
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Greetings...

Have seen comments (mostly positive) from other inmates here about using the Torque Pro Android app. Most of those comments are from 5-6 years ago. The rating for the app in the Play Store is just under 4.0, with users lamenting the fact that there aren't many updates and very little developer support.

That said, I'm just wondering if the app is still a functional thing to use. My 2014 3.5 Screw is stock and I don't want to get into a bunch of performance mods like tunes, exhaust, intercoolers, etc. I don't want 5*, no Ngauge or other "bells and whistles" apps/screens, just something to allow me to monitor more than the truck has to offer right now.

I already have the recommended plug-in OBD-II Bluetooth adapter that I use on my BMW R1200GS to access Motoscan (and no, that app won't work with the Ford...motorcycle specific) and the split connector cable. While I could use my Android phone, I have an older Nook (like a Samsung Tab A, 8" screen) tablet that I installed a later version of Android on and that's big enough to be able to throw up some gauges to view things while towing our RV.

So at only $4.95 for the full app, is Torque Pro (still) a good option or are there other similar (i.e., newer) apps out there that do the same thing?

Cheers...everyone stay healthy and sane!

·
Registered
2018 F-150 XLT SCAB 4x4 3.55:1
165 Posts
Why would you use Torque over one of the many free apps? Or the Ford-optimized FORScan?

·
Premium Member
9,089 Posts
Why would you use Torque over one of the many free apps? Or the Ford-optimized FORScan?
First, Torque Light is free and Pro is as close to free as a cup of coffee. Literally

And although the continued development seems to have slowed, there's a lot of folks who have used it and thus shared information on pids and hacks. Torque Lite has better than 10 million downloads in Android alone. And Pro more than a million users. And Ian Hawkins has updated Pro a few months ago in 2020. It's not abandoned.

FORScan Lite is definitely a worthy competitor, but it's not any more free than that cup of coffee either. :)

I haven't spent much time with the Android (or IOS) monitoring tools in the truck because I have had the Ngauge for the entire 3 years I've had the truck. I have played with Torque in the Miata and the 370Z. It seemed to provide the information that I wanted without too much fuss, but unlike the truck, I don't feel compelled to know a lot more than what the dash is telling me.

·
Registered
6,885 Posts
I use forscan and OBDLink.

OBDLink requires you use one of the OBDLink bluetooth adapters but its well worth it. The OEM Enhanced PID packages you can download through the app have an astounding amount of options and you can read from pretty much any module in the truck.

I use it for both my F150 and Lexus GX and both have an absolutely ridiculous amount of PID’s available.

Torque is fine, and probably has the best user interface, but OBDLink and Forscan blow it out of the water on available PID’s

1 - 5 of 5 Posts