F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2014 F150 Screw, 3.5 EB, 3.73 rear axle, max tow
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Vehicle: 2014 F150 Screw, 3.5, max tow, 3.73 rear, all stock (no tuners, no "catless", no upgraded intercoolers/radiators/catch cans, etc.)
"Tech": Torque Pro app on an Android phone (Samsung Note 10+) using an OBDLink LX scanner

After spending several hours scouring various forums, I could have sworn I saw where someone either wrote or came up with a Ford PID so that a transmission fluid temp gauge could be added to the screen. No matter what formula I've tried, or what "canned" variation within the Torque app, all I get is a "no data" reading.

Digging into the "Adapter Status" section of Torque, while hooked up to the truck, I came across the "Adapter Status Information" screen:

It obviously doesn't show any sensor for transmission temp...but heck, if you can cycle the dash to get a numeric temperature readout for the the transmission, that info has to be coming from somewhere!

Digging around in "Settings" within Torque, there's a section called "Manage extra PIDS/Sensors". Opening that up brings up a BUNCH of Ford-specific PIDS (getting the info from the vehicle profile, I guess). In there are FOUR transmission fluid temp PIDs...

Method 1: PID: 221674, Unit: F, Max/Min: 240.0/0.0, equation = ((A*256)+b)/8
Method 2: PID: 221674, Unit: F, Max/Min: 200.0/0.0, equation = ((A*256)+b)/8
Method 3: PID: 2211BD, Unit: F, Max/Min: 200.0/0.0, equation = (((A*256)+B)*-0.0036)+212.98
Transmission Temp: PID: 221E1C, Unit: F, Max/Min: 260.0/40.0, equation = (((Signed(A)260+B)(9/8)+320/10

So, the operative questions here are, 1) Can I use one of these custom PIDs to monitor the transmission temp or is that even possible since transmission temperature isn't on the "available sensor" list above? (I tried all four and all returned "no data"). 2) If one of those PIDs CAN be used, which one and how to get things to work?

I know sensors that aren't listed above CAN be added in as I was able to add in tire pressures for the TPMS. (I have the less frills Sync and technology where the TPMS only comes on if there's a low pressure alert, not the readout that shows all four tires).

Finally...and not to beat a dead Chevy here...I got the boost gauge up so I can monitor the turbos more closely. (I tow an RV across some of our lovely mountainous Northwest passes and I know that if my temps start to climb, the best thing to do is back out of it a bit, drop a gear and pull the summit. I've never had any issue with coming dangerously close to "limp home" modes.) That said, besides the boost gauge, a numeric engine coolant gauge and the TPMS info, what else is important to have up there in front of me...IAT, EGT, MAF? I frankly don't care about having "max HP" or torque load up there along with "cylinder misfires", etc.

Thanks all...please stay warm, safe and healthy!

·
Premium Member
9,089 Posts
I'm Gen2 2018 and there isn't a pid for transmission temperature. I don't get it since the dash does have the ability to display the numerical temp above the temp gauge itself. (enabled with Forscan)

And unlike the XLT dash that does indeed display the transmission temperature as you cycle through the choices, the higher trim 8" LCD does not have the choice.

Having said all that, I thought the Gen1 3.5 did have transmission Temps via ODB

·
Premium Member
1,249 Posts
Gen 1’s do have a transmission temp PID. It’s also already on the cluster under Gauge Mode.

Maybe torque just identifies the PID differently?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
That would be a yes for Gen 1's.
View attachment 170990

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
That would be a yes for Gen 1's.
View attachment 170990

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
Thanks, Meaz...appreciate the info!

-I can enter "TransT" for the short name but the "Long name (used in menus)" section is grayed out and won't accept input...think it says, "(FORD)Transmission Fluid Temp (Method ###)"

-Your equation looks almost like the custom OBD2 PID that is already in Torque...not Method 1, 2 or 3, but the 4th one I listed in the original post. The only difference I see is that under "unit type", the custom one has °F and yours says "deg"...is that what you meant?​

-Also, under the equation is a section called "OBD Header to use"...leave that blank?​
-Lastly, do you recommend setting max limit alarms (where the gauge will flash) if you exceed a predefined upper limit)? If so, what would you recommend for coolant and trans temp in degrees F? In all my towing travels, I think the hottest I've ever seen the coolant was 230 (briefly), and maybe the same area for the trans temp.​

Once that's done, if I assign that that PID to a gauge, put it on the screen and fire everything up, it should read transmission temp then? And yes, I know I can bring up the numeric trans temp reading in the dash cluster but I kinda wanted coolant temp and trans temp right next to each other in the same spot (in the app on the phone) for "one stop shopping"...saves having my head on a swivel as it were.

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
9,089 Posts
geeze meaz, you speak geek good

Reactions: meaz93

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Snake and Meaz...appreciate your kind help!

So using Meaz's (correct) formula, I ended up with a working transmission temp gauge...sorta...

Comparing the Torque gauge reading to the dash numeric readout, it's within a degree or two, so looks pretty accurate.

Now, at the risk of appearing to be a sniveling whiner...😂...any ideas on how to get that transmission temp gauge to have a max readout of 240 like the coolant temperature has? It's not the gauge style as the cooIant gauge is the same it and it goes 0 to 240.

I think it may have something to do with the equation itself and just wondering if anyone has ever played around with the formula or has any ideas. (And yes, I thought perhaps I could just simply substitute the coolant formula string in place of the existing transmission temp one, with a different PID, but the formula for coolant is reallllly simple...A-40. The other difference is that the programmed coolant equation shows "Min/Max" values of 0.0/240.0 instead of the -40/260.0 that is in the trans temp formula).

If I recall correctly, from back in the dark ages of high school science, the formula for converting C to F is (0°C x 9/5)+32. That's a little bit different than the PID formula, which, among other characters, shows (9/8)+320)/10. Just curious if anyone has played around with that or if it would even make a difference in showing a 240 degree gauge instead of maxing out at 200.

Lasttttt request on this topic, lads...thanks for the patience and assistance! (y)

Reactions: STINNETT69

·
Registered
6,885 Posts
I'm Gen2 2018 and there isn't a pid for transmission temperature. I don't get it since the dash does have the ability to display the numerical temp above the temp gauge itself. (enabled with Forscan)

And unlike the XLT dash that does indeed display the transmission temperature as you cycle through the choices, the higher trim 8" LCD does not have the choice.

Having said all that, I thought the Gen1 3.5 did have transmission Temps via ODB
Not even HPTuners or SCT have the ability to see trans temp?

There is a PID, its likely know one knows the address to look for it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts