F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been doing a tone of research and have found not a lot of information to confirm this. I called a few tuners and asked this question as well, I get a run around answer, but nothing concrete.... Only one tuner has said over the phone that, not so much but its a good idea to be properly gaped. I kinda read between the lines on that one, but not sure.... So I would like to know. I have posted this before (below) from MPT site: (they seem to be the only ones to confirm it)

STOP AND READ THIS BEFORE SELECTING YOUR TUNES
What should I set my spark plug gap at?

Unlike previous years we haven't yet found a need to re-gap the stock 2017 - 2019 Ecoboost spark plugs.

Thoughts, knowledge and/or experiences - Confirm, deny or debate?

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Interesting I have been wondering the same. I also have been unable to find any excerpts stating it’s a necessity where in the gen 1 they sure as hell let you know it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
164 Posts
Old school from the muscle car years, and ran a few HP high compression vehicles that ate plugs, my 68 Z28 went thru them every 7-8000 miles. When I used it at the dragstrip with J8 Champions I got the best performance but they would be gone in a few hundred miles. I always gaped new plugs, never gaped used plugs. That 302 was fussy about gaps. Found re-gaping used heat-cycled plugs would go back to the worn gaps quickly, figured they annealed and returned after startup.
As a result I always check gaps on new plugs before installation, understanding the advacements in ingnition over the last 30-40 years, simple and easy to do. It's also a simple tuning step and made a differance in the idle on my tuned 2.7, running NGK 6510 gaped at .026 instead of .028. KM

·
Registered
279 Posts
When you really start to get turned up you need to switch to a sp542 or ngk ILTR7N8 (95822) gapped at .028.

For mild tunes you'll be fine on stock stuff.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
164 Posts
When you really start to get turned up you need to switch to a sp542 or ngk ILTR7N8 (95822) gapped at .028.

For mild tunes you'll be fine on stock stuff.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Understood, as a street and mild trail vehicle, I'll stay with the longer lived dual precious metal plugs . KM

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I called MPT (since I posted there quote) and a well known tuner I have used on the site...... I was told by MPT absolutely no need to for any HP level on the 17's and up..

The other tuner (nameless) said its just a good idea to be properly gaped.... they would not confirm if this is accurate.

So twist it, I had my buddy call the same tuner, tell him he had a 15, wants tunes and what does he need to do.... get the tune and buy the plugs pre-gaped to .28 ish

Twist again, had another buddy call, says he has a 18 and wants a tune...... ask about plugs and was told, just make sure they are gaped properly but its not necessary to buy there plugs pre gaped .... WTH

So I called another tuner, not so popular....... blown up a few things (hint hint) he advised me on the new trucks the plugs are gaped closer and he has not seen a need to run any other plug other than the stock plugs but an older eco its a must to gap and get a better plug than OEM.... So he is a tuner, his reputation is questionable but he confirms what MPT stated...

·
Registered
118 Posts
You'll definitely hear different things from tuners or engine builders. My personal experience, with water meth injection pulling -20 to -25 on fuel, I was blowing spark out at factory gap. I'm down to .025 on a set of colder plugs, no issues, no blow out.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You'll definitely hear different things from tuners or engine builders. My personal experience, with water meth injection pulling -20 to -25 on fuel, I was blowing spark out at factory gap. I'm down to .025 on a set of colder plugs, no issues, no blow out.
I can understand with the meth, I used to run meth in my other vehicles..... but for octane fuel and a tune, is there a need for the newer eco's....

Called another tuner today, one with not so great of a reputation here or any other forum..... he says not on the newer eco's.....

Wish I could get a straight answer from a reputable tuner

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not sure the reason for no legs for this post but I had a pretty extensive talk with a well known tuner..... It appears to be accurate

·
Registered
153 Posts
I am not running very high boost on my own truck, it's mostly timing to make the power. I have found no breakup or spark blowout issues at a stock gap of 032 (even at 500+ whp and 550+ wtq). It just isn't a problem on this new ignition system at 18-21 psi of boost. Maybe at 23 lbs of boost you may run into some blowout where you need to gap down to 028.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am not running very high boost on my own truck, it's mostly timing to make the power. I have found no breakup or spark blowout issues at a stock gap of 032 (even at 500+ whp and 550+ wtq). It just isn't a problem on this new ignition system at 18-21 psi of boost. Maybe at 23 lbs of boost you may run into some blowout where you need to gap down to 028.
Appreciate the feed back Sir!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts