F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We are looking to purchase a camper that better accommodates my family of 5. On the short list is a Windjammer 3006WK. The GVWR is 8400 with a tongue weight of 915 pounds.

Its replacing an Outback 28krs with a GVWR of 7400 pounds.

The truck is a 16 3.5EB Screw with 3.31, tow package, tow mirrors, XLT. Basically bought it just to tow. Everything else is a bonus. My truck is good for 10700 pounds towing, Even with a fully loaded camper, this leaves me with 2000+ pounds of margin. If anything I may have to upgrade my equalizer 10K to a 12K.

Seem to be, when you mention the potential of towing this monstrosity with a half ton, the RV forums take a collective sigh. But I see it as being within the design envelop of the truck. We go on about a half doze or so camping trips a year, most of them are a few hours away. We usually take one long trip where its about an 10 hour drive. I seldom drive fast than 60 when towing.

Seems fine to me, thoughts?

·
Registered
241 Posts
I have a 14 hauling a similar weight/length trailer. Your question as most people will point out has a lot of variables. Can you truck haul it? Yes, but how well and how comfortable you are behind the wheel are significant factors. With your family and gear you'll be near max weight on the truck, and with that much length you're going to be subject to more swing with wind and passing other vehicles.
Biggest difference in ride quality for me was adding air bags which took out the sag and helped with rocking and swing. Also WDH hitch set up correctly which our RV dealer had all wrong.

·
Registered
65 Posts
You will be okay for towing limits but what is the gvwr of the truck? That is where you will be at your limits especially with 5 of you and all your gear. However you should still be okay. I tow a little bit heavier than you and I am about 100lbs under my gvwr and 90lbs over my rear axle weight limit. It is a easy towing experience, pulls nice. I have the 1400 4 point sway equalizer hitch

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My kids are pretty young yet. A 3 year old and 16 month old twins. There is no doubt I will be converging on the max tow rating for my truck. That's a huge trailer. Based on my past towing experience I am comfortable with something so big. With the rear slide out, my old trailer is at least as long as the possible new trailer.

Thanks!

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have the same truck, same gearing, only its a 2013. The tongue weight on my Passport 2810BH is 600lbs loaded - I had my setup weighed with myself, DW, 11 year old and 8 year old. My GVRW on my truck is 7,200, and I'm about 100lbs shy of this all loaded up. With your tongue weight of 900lbs, you will most likely be over your GVRW of our truck.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I see what your saying. My GVWR is 7850 pounds or a payload capacity of 1808 pounds. trailer tongue weight plus me, wife, kids, will leave me about 400 to play with. I run the with the tanks empty, and try to keep most of the weight to the camper I should be ok. It will be close.

I think if we were retiring and planed to pull this camper around 6 months a year, A bigger truck would be in order. but for the limited amount of towing I'll be doing, it should be adequate.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Before you buy the camper, hook to it and run through a scale to see where you are at. My guess is that you will most likely be okay, till you start packing the camper full of crap.

The 3.31 gears will hurt you on anyrhing but the flattest ground, but if you lockout 6th it should do fine. I don't understand how you got a 3.31 gear and payload over 7200. I thought only the 3.73s could get that payload.

·
Registered
395 Posts
You will be fine. I pull a 32', 9500lbs tt and the eco does amazingly well. The key is setting up your weight distribution hitch correctly.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Before you buy the camper, hook to it and run through a scale to see where you are at. My guess is that you will most likely be okay, till you start packing the camper full of crap.

The 3.31 gears will hurt you on anyrhing but the flattest ground, but if you lockout 6th it should do fine. I don't understand how you got a 3.31 gear and payload over 7200. I thought only the 3.73s could get that payload.
I think people are scare of the 3.31s. I just put it in Tow/Haul mode and let the computer deal with it. No hunting for gears. I know I had the current camper overloaded last year at about 8000 pounds. No problem. But I am also not in a hurry. I keep the speed to 60mph or less.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Having towed with the ecoboosts, I can tell you that they hunt like mad! Taller gears make it worse. Tow/haul mode doesn't help much at all. Try counting the number of times it shifts gears, without locking any out, at specific speeds. It will surprise you. If you are on flat ground, then it doesn't do it obviously. Mine hunts without towing. A proper tune can fix most of the excessive gear changes, but stock is terrible.

·
Registered
184 Posts
My stock '13 3.5 Ecoboost 4x4 Platinum Screw with Max Tow and 3.73 rear sure doesn't hunt for gears towing or not, flat land or in the mountains.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
Having towed with the ecoboosts, I can tell you that they hunt like mad! Taller gears make it worse. Tow/haul mode doesn't help much at all. Try counting the number of times it shifts gears, without locking any out, at specific speeds. It will surprise you. If you are on flat ground, then it doesn't do it obviously. Mine hunts without towing. A proper tune can fix most of the excessive gear changes, but stock is terrible.
Mine doesn't do this at all. Maybe there is something going on with your transmission.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Having towed with two 3.5 eco's, one a 2011 with 3.55s and my 16 with 3.31, it also hasn't been my experience, especially when using tow/haul mode. If anything it sometimes holds a gear for two long. Set the cruise at 60 mph, she drops into 6th and stays there, unless I am climbing a decent hill. I am not out to win races when I tow either. Nice and easy, we get there when we get there.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The whole point of the thread to avoid the overloaded situation. So far from the numbers, I'll be pushing the limits but still within the towing capacity.

If you're over and get in an accident, could be deep doodoo for you.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The whole point of the thread to avoid the overloaded situation. So far from the numbers, I'll be pushing the limits but still within the towing capacity.
Understood, don't forget to subtract tongue weight, fuel, passengers and cargo from payload, however.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Done, done, and done. Even doing so, I have a couple hundred pounds to play with. I will converge on that as the kids get older. If I get the trailer I am looking at, when we pack for the trip, I will diffidently have to concentrate keeping most of our stuff in the camper.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts