F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2017 3.5 I use everyday as a work truck/daily driver. I tow a tandem 16 foot trailer with two mowers on it and some other equipment maybe 4500lbs. Having major front end issues and popping coming from the rear of the truck over the course of the last 50k miles. I have been through 2 4wd actuators, one cv axle, a upper control arm bushing and now a wheel bearing. The truck is leveled but I can’t see it causing all the issues I am having. I understand it’s a half ton but I am towing no where near the limits of this truck and am wondering if I should be switching to a 3/4 ton since I’m towing 5 or 6 days a week. My other option was an hdpp truck but I don’t think that will solve my front end issues. Am I crazy or are these trucks just not meant to take daily towing abuse? Thanks

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have 2017 3.5 I use everyday as a work truck/daily driver. I tow a tandem 16 foot trailer with two mowers on it and some other equipment maybe 4500lbs. Having major front end issues and popping coming from the rear of the truck over the course of the last 50k miles. I have been through 2 4wd actuators, one cv axle, a upper control arm bushing and now a wheel bearing. The truck is leveled but I can’t see it causing all the issues I am having. I understand it’s a half ton but I am towing no where near the limits of this truck and am wondering if I should be switching to a 3/4 ton since I’m towing 5 or 6 days a week. My other option was an hdpp truck but I don’t think that will solve my front end issues. Am I crazy or are these trucks just not meant to take daily towing abuse? Thanks
Hi ,
How many miles are on your truck ?

-Brian

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,898 Posts
Towed many thousands of miles with a load as much as that and zero front end issues.

Both with a 4x4 leveled and a 2WD not leveled.

Curious what is going with your truck. You're using it as a truck and well within its design intent, in my opinion. How often is 4wd even part of the equation? And what kind of leveling did you do?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
That is exactly what my thought was I'm not overloading it at all. The way the trailer has to be loaded there is about 6-700 pounds of tounge weight so I know that is a little bit higher than the recommended 500 with weight distributing but it does just fine.

50k miles are on the truck and 4wd has literally only been used a handful of times. It has a bilstein leveling kit on it at the highest setting.

·
Premium Member
4,898 Posts
You could invest in a WDH and get the truck balanced, putting the normal weight back on that front suspension. Just to see if it reduces the stress on all the geometry in play up front.

I agree that it isn't required for towing that load from time to time, but as you state, you tow daily. Your truck is continuously "unloaded" up front.

No promises, of course, but I'm guessing the truck would handle better, especially steering, and it just might reduce the wear & tear on those components?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ya it's a thought. At that point I will probably just invest in a 3/4 ton truck. It's just not worth it to me to setup a weight distributing hitch every single day for this trailer.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I had a 2013 Platinum CC SB F-150 4x4 with the 3.5 and Max Tow. With it we towed 6,500-7,000 lbs of travel trailer for well over 50,000 miles, including up to Alaska and back. I traded it off on a new F-350 diesel at 86,000 miles because we were moving up to a fifth wheel. Never had any problem with the front end (or anything else for that matter). I never even considered getting a 250/2500 class truck and you shouldn’t either. It doesn’t cost much at all to go one ton and doing so gives you a lot more flexibility.

Edit: My truck was completely stock.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I’d be willing to bet it’s it’s “leveling”

-Brian

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
If you are running the Bilsteins at full height then you might wanna look into a set of aftermarket upper control arms and make sure your front end is aligned and in spec.

The reality is that you are hooking a heavy tongue up to the rear of the truck which is acting like a lever on the rear axle and lifting the front even higher than the Bilsteins alone. My guess is you are overextending everything in the front and putting unnecessary stress on all of it. The IWE's are notorious for failing but you shouldnt be killing CV's and wheel bearings. From what I have heard, anything over 2.5" of lift is bad and I am sure you are at or above that with the 600-700 lb trailer tongue.

Maybe lower the Bilsteins down a notch or two so they arnt so pissed off when you hook the trailer up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts