F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I called SSI today to ask about their Facebook special of "2 Custom Tunes" for $90 as I thought that was a sweet deal and a lot of people like them. I spoke with "Shawn" (or Sean lol) about if I wanted a Eco Tune and a Performance tune and if that was possible, He told me that his tunes gave up too 3mpg better avg. So I said okay, How does this compare to the canned SCT X4 93 Tune, He implied it was like Night and Day so that got me excited. I asked what I needed to do as far as giving him my mod list, truck size, gear ratio, do I need to run data logs, etc. and he then said that I needed to upgrade to the "S4" (not sure if that's right, something "4") at a charge of $75?

My question is, Is this just a SSI Canned tune then? It's OBVIOUSLY not a CUSTOM tune if he did not need to know any of that nor need data logs for revisions? The ad states "2 Custom Tunes" , so How do I get a Eco 93 tune and an Performance 93 Tune if I have to pay $75 on top of the $90 to get different tunes? Maybe I did not get all the details so that's why Im here. I guess Im perfectly fine with their Universal Ecoboost F150 Tune as long as it is NOTICEABLY better than the canned SCT 93 tune or their is no need to upgrade right now.

I did call MPT after as I was interested in them as well... Could not get anyone to answer though :/

If anybody has "Ballpark" gains from SSI or MPT 93 tunes over the canned SCT one please let me know :eek:

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Just get an LET tune and be done.

I'm impartial to the whole SSI debate, but just letting you know that name is a sore subject here.

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
Here we go.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I'll say it again:

Literally. Can't. Even. Right now. You guys. Literally.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Alright, instead of instigating another flame war let's try and help out the OP.

Jason, your going to get a lot of responses as to which tune is better than the other. People here have very strong opinions about this issue. My best advice is to contact your tuner and have him revise what you don't like and insist he review your logs. If you want to eek out more power from your tune, ask if this can be done. That's all part of what you are paying for in a custom tune IMHO.

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
^ Ok, agreed. He may have different levels of tunes. It kinda sucks if you have to pay extra for a more powerful tune. But I guess that is how he makes his money. Most tunes reach the same amount of power at WOT, it is how they get there that distinguishes different tuners. But basically ask him, since he is not a vendor of this site people may not be able to help here.

As for MPT, maybe try and give them another call, might have got them at a bad time.

Either way, any custom tune will be better than canned tunes.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
^Yes^ as far as levels of tunes I know MPT will charge more for a tune if you've installed certain mods, looks like SSI does the same, but it seems like a little bit of bait and switch going on the way SSI handled it or at least how the OP interpreted it.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I did call MPT after as I was interested in them as well... Could not get anyone to answer though :/

o
FYI, MPT is located in central Florida and was most likely closed for business when you called. Try them between 8 and 5 eastern time tomorrow. Good Luck!!

--------------------------------------
2011 Screw FX2/Unleashed tuned/Wagner CAC/MAK cat-less down pipes/Meth Injection/AFE charge pipe/AirAid CAI/170* thermostat/CalTracs/Ford Racing leveling kit/UPR catch cans/AeroForce Interceptor.......etc

MY68UR8

·
Registered
706 Posts
You can get 2 tunes for $90. Its the s4 tunes that he charges an extra $75 for. Just ask for the ssi2 tunes and you can get 2 for $90 which is a good deal. The ssi4 tunes that cost extra are pretty extreme and probably worth it if thats what you are after. But even the ssi2 tunes are better than the device canned tunes, I would imagine anyway.

·
Registered
225 Posts
He will need your gear ratio for any tune you buy. All this info is provided on your order form. You adjust revolutions per mile on your SCT device when you load the tune. You will most certainly have to provide data logs for the SSI4 tune. The ssi2 will definitely smoke a canned tune.

·
Registered
7,395 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Shawn ALWAYS asks for your gear ratio and any mods that you have when ordering any tune. SSi2 is the tune he starts everybody out with, you can go up or down from there. Datalogs are reguired on the SSI2 tune before you can upgrade to SSI3 or 4. He doesn't do any 'economy' tunes as the performance tunes almost always show a gain in mpg. Most econo tunes are dogs anyway. Even though he starts everybody on the same level, the tune is tweaked for each truck as very few trucks run the exact same files. Each performance level is also available with 3 different shifting strategies. A big majority of guys never get anything but the starting tune, the step up to SSI4 is pretty major and most do not need that level of performance. There is no such thing as a 'universal tune' or 'economy' tune, period. And to the OP, his custom tunes are such a big jump over the SCT canned tunes that the canned tunes seem like a joke.

·
Registered
13,026 Posts
Ford4tot liked this post ^^^^^^^^^

Sent from my silver iPad Air 1 in a http://www.red.org/en/ smart case using an app called Tapatalky

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
About this Discussion
43 Replies
22 Participants
Kc311
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing