F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that I've got a reliable truck with 4x4, I'm spending more time in the forests at night scouting for the fall hunting seasons. It's dark out there of course and I'd like to add some easy to install accessory lights and change the fog lamps. I'm in the crowd of liking 5000K lamps and I've been researching...it's all starting to spin my head a bit. I started drinking the f150leds Kool-aid as well. I'm not looking for a project of custom installs but, I do want quality. A friend of mine has $1200 Rigid LED bar and that's way out of my idea of budget. So far I know that I would like to add backup lights and a light bar. Eventually I'd like to upgrade the fog lights and later on headlights. What's good? What's junk? What's overpriced?

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
I've never spent any money on 'add on' lights. I just upgrade the ones I have.
You can upgrade the OE projectors (if that's what you have) and run over-wattage ballasts.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Now that I've got a reliable truck with 4x4, I'm spending more time in the forests at night scouting for the fall hunting seasons. It's dark out there of course and I'd like to add some easy to install accessory lights and change the fog lamps. I'm in the crowd of liking 5000K lamps and I've been researching...it's all starting to spin my head a bit. I started drinking the f150leds Kool-aid as well. I'm not looking for a project of custom installs but, I do want quality. A friend of mine has $1200 Rigid LED bar and that's way out of my idea of budget. So far I know that I would like to add backup lights and a light bar. Eventually I'd like to upgrade the fog lights and later on headlights. What's good? What's junk? What's overpriced?
check out my thread from yesterday in the "F150 Ecoboost Chat" subforum. It's called "Reallly????"....I was having some problems with the headlight removal. But anyway, I posted a pic of the Diode Dynamics upgraded fog lights, among other lights, that I put in yesterday. I chose the 6000k, but that won't effect brightness. Those bulbs in the pics are not even their brightest, they are in the middle, and they are BRIGHT! Cost was $90 for a pair of LED fog bulbs for that particular brightness. The bulb type is in my signature.

·
Registered
263 Posts
and...not bashing here...just pointing out something that is relevant. I bought interior LEDs from F150LEDs, and I noticed they flickered when they were on and I was starting my truck (only when starting the truck, they didn't flicker all the time). So when I bought the fogs from Diode Dynamics I saw their interiors as well, for much cheaper. So I figured what the heck and bought them. The Diode interiors flicker a bit as well when starting the truck, though not quite as noticeable as the F150LEDs, but they are just as bright and the Diode map lights are much smaller and fit in the housing better. But again....the Diode Dynamics were a lot cheaper for what seems, at the very least, just as good lighting and a better fitment.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Let me save you a lot of money for go-fast mods:

spotlight.jpg

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've looked at the Diode Dynamics. Anyone noticing a substantial difference with the 1400 lumen fog lights?

·
Premium Member
2,732 Posts
I've looked at the Diode Dynamics. Anyone noticing a substantial difference with the 1400 lumen fog lights?
Don't know went with 5000k pure white XML2 Love them :)

Edit: Only downfall I found was it makes static in radio. Goes away when around big cities where reception is good.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Don't know went with 5000k pure white XML2 Love them :)

Edit: Only downfall I found was it makes static in radio. Goes away when around big cities where reception is good.
Ok. Those are 1420

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So far I've gotten the reverse lights installed. Rigid D series Floods. They are setup with a three way switch for on/off/auto.

Here's a couple objects 25' away.

They give a some light out the sides too.

After I get back to woods in the dark, I'll see if I like them. I'm already questioning my choice of pattern. Perhaps the diffused pattern would be better. I have them aimed to sharply cut off about 25' away in case I'm using them around town.

·
Administrator
7,814 Posts
I am looking for new headlights for my truck. I heard "spyder" and "mustang led" were solid ones. Any other good suggestions?
Those are probably the "worst" ones for these trucks.

Morimoto or Anzo

1 - 13 of 13 Posts