F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
7,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I figured I would start a little thread to log the mods I am doing to my trailer.

First things first, TV delete:

Loses some weight and frees up some storage space. We rarely have hookups so the TV has literally never been used other than to try it out in my driveway. Plus we have an iPad that we download stuff from the various streaming services too.

·
Registered
7,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Next mod, couch delete. The trailer has a rear slide out which is a king size bed but no side slide which makes it tight when we are all in there. This is the stock layout:

The plan is to make a small bench to cover the utilities:

The bench will have a hinged top so that it can be opened up and provide a small bed for the baby until she is old enough to sleep in one of the bunks. Ill likely have some cusions made up that can be velcro'd to the wall or to the flipped out portion of the bench to act as a backrest or matress pad.

·
Registered
7,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
And the last thing for today, a set of flip up arms to hold the cutting board from the stove to add some extra countertop space:

That second picture just shows it sitting on the top drawer, but gives you an idea. Final setup would be mount level with or close to the counter top.

·
Registered
7,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Im debating pulling the microwave too. Not 100% sure yet because we have used it the few times we did have hookups. But for the most part we just use the microwave to store crap in.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Nice progress. After much debate I’ve decided I’m going to “build out” a 8.5 x 24 or 26 footer starting next spring. From the research I’ve been doing it seems that toy haulers, when used as such, just don’t hold up over time like an enclosed will when built on a channeled frame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
Nice progress. After much debate I’ve decided I’m going to “build out” a 8.5 x 24 or 26 footer starting next spring. From the research I’ve been doing it seems that toy haulers, when used as such, just don’t hold up over time like an enclosed will when built on a channeled frame.

My thoughts and plan as well. I’ve found some good starting candidates. Just waiting for a “toy” to go in one, lol.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
My thoughts and plan as well. I’ve found some good starting candidates. Just waiting for a “toy” to go in one, lol.

For about 15K you can build a rock solid one that’ll sleep your whole family and still fit two side by sides if necessary. My plan is to get a Honda Pioneer 5 for the family and keep the Raptor to play on when I’m by myself.

·
Registered
7,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
For about 15K you can build a rock solid one that’ll sleep your whole family and still fit two side by sides if necessary. My plan is to get a Honda Pioneer 5 for the family and keep the Raptor to play on when I’m by myself.

I saw one of the Pioneer 5’s the other day. Those are really cool. I like that it has seating for the whole fam but doesnt have a wheelbase as long as my truck

Reactions: Blown F-150

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
I saw one of the Pioneer 5’s the other day. Those are really cool. I like that it has seating for the whole fam but doesnt have a wheelbase as long as my truck
It’s pretty nice and even the Yamaha Wolverine with the pop up seats in the back is decent for kids.

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
Next mod, couch delete. The trailer has a rear slide out which is a king size bed but no side slide which makes it tight when we are all in there. This is the stock layout:

The plan is to make a small bench to cover the utilities:

The bench will have a hinged top so that it can be opened up and provide a small bed for the baby until she is old enough to sleep in one of the bunks. Ill likely have some cusions made up that can be velcro'd to the wall or to the flipped out portion of the bench to act as a backrest or matress pad.
Smart move there. We almost bought a floorplan just like that when we bought our trailer. We opted for the slide out since it increased the width by a full 3 feet. I bet it feels a lot bigger in there now. Why is the duct work there? Heat? If you could re-route that ductwork you could make some nice storage areas underneath or expand your pantry storage.

·
Registered
7,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Smart move there. We almost bought a floorplan just like that when we bought our trailer. We opted for the slide out since it increased the width by a full 3 feet. I bet it feels a lot bigger in there now. Why is the duct work there? Heat? If you could re-route that ductwork you could make some nice storage areas underneath or expand your pantry storage.
There is a heating duct, two water lines and a bunch of wiring that run through there. That box is also where the shore power cable gets stored.

·
Registered
7,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So I have a beta bench drawn up:

I wanna tweak the depths of the top boards, but my limiting factor is that I need ~12" between the wall and the front trim board to clear the wheel wells and a few water lines. And then I am adding an extra 1.5" to the inner to board so that when the support legs are folded in they are tucked under the board. So its 14" now and the flip out portion is another 12" which puts it slightly beyond the corner of the cabinets(the transparent wall closest to the camera).

·
Registered
7,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here it is with all of the surrounding interior modeled in:

You can see I added the wheel well under the bench. That 2ish inch gap is where the water lines currently run for the bathroom.

·
Registered
7,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Trying to figure out what to actually make this out of since a 1x12 board is not actually 1x12, its .75x11.25.

I might have to build it with individual pieces of 1x8 and 1x6 that are linked via a 2x2 underneath.

·
Registered
7,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So i decided to just get a 4’ x 8’ x 1/2” MDF sheet. I can rip it down and get all the panels out of one sheet and its nice and smooth and dont have to worry about someone getting a splinter.

·
Registered
7,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Mostly framed out:

Had to reinforce inside the cabinet a bit but its pretty solid now:

·
Registered
7,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
MF Board is cut and in place. Still need to hinge the top and secure everything. Its like having a side slideout!

·
Registered
7,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Initial Design for the arms to hold up the cutting board as extra countertop space:

Up:

Collapsed:

·
Registered
7,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hinged the top. Had to bevel the back of the board 60*:

·
Registered
7,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So instead of worrying about dumb hinges and crappy wooden arms holding up the cuttingboard and bench extension i just bought 6 of these:

Reactions: snakebitten
1 - 20 of 67 Posts