F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So some of you may know this already but I am getting ready to graduate from college. For the last year or so I have done internships at a large engineering and construction contractor based in Kansas City. I have primarily been involved in project expediting and controls.

I am doing the formal full time interview in a few weeks and then hopefully will have an offer. For my current position I don't HAVE to have site experience. However I have been offered the opportunity to go work on a Hydrocarbon Jobsite full time. I would probably be doing work in materials management or project management.

This position would have a lot of PROs and Cons and I have only listed a few.

Pros:
Higher Pay
Faster learning Curve
Faster Advancement
PerDiem/Site bonuses
Lots of information and training you cant get anywhere else

Cons:
Moving to Jobsites (Costal texas - Upper Peninsula Michigan - Oklahoma Panhandle - Western Kansas - ETC ) for extended periods of time
Long hours (60-80)
Being away from home / family / girlfriend / Friends
Living expenses

I have never lived outside of Kansas for more than about a month so that is scary but I think this is an amazing opportunity. Most of the people I have talked to recommend taking it while I am young, unattached, ETC.

Have any of ya'll ever done site assignments in these kinds of job? Did you like them? Any tips?

on another note: A lot of the guys I know at jobsites say they actually buy travel trailers to live in rather than changing leases every 6-18 months. Any specific types that ya'll think would be worth taking a peek at while I think about this?

I apologize if anything I said needs clarification I just need the opinion of a completely unbiased group and I figure I have heard some great life advice on here before so why not give it a shot.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
I’m going to give you some valuable advice for a young man of your age. Getting out of your “comfort zone” will be the most liberating and opportunistic decision you can make for your career in your entire life.

Willingness to relocate speaks volumes when considering how successful you can be in a career path. Companies highly value that attribute. It allows you to gain cultural and diverse perspectives you will never recognize staying in the same area. It expedites your potential for opportunity and growth exponentially. Your learning curve and development will sky rocket.

At your age I would take the leap and never look back. The worse case scenario is you decide it’s not for you, and return home. The bigger picture and opportunity is worth the risk and the older you get the more you will realize it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
423 Posts
^^^TOTALLY AGREE^^^

Best thing I did was go into the USAF for 21 years after HS. Got to see the world, got to learn far more than I would have in one office, got to learn different cultures, and figured out where I DIDN'T want to retire.

Luckily I had a forgiving and understanding wife.

My down sides were being away from my parents, wife being away from her parents, stresses on kids moving all the time, seasons of homesickness. But the good experiences far outweighed the negatives.

Good Luck and go for it...work hard now, make money now so you can fully relax later (if you invest in for the future).

AK4wheeler

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
The company I work for is primarily focused on oil and gas, and just from my time on site in refineries and natural gas plants, I say you should go for it. I think there is a tremendous opportunity there and, to be honest, I think a lot of room for improvement depending on the site. As long as you have it somewhat together, you could easily become a huge asset and gain a ton of respect on these sites. One of their biggest pain points is turnaround and project schedules because, if they have a problem or delay, its literally costing them millions of dollars a day when they are shut down. We see it all the time and they will do backflips if you can come up with a solution to get a project back on track. If you can have any influence there, it is huge.

I also agree with above. I am/was an introverted engineer based out of an office. I took a leap and grabbed a sales position within the same company that covered the Rocky mountains and later expanded to include KS/OK as well as the West coast. It's what moved me 2300 miles from MA to UT and I don't have any plans to move back after being here 4 years. While I never was 100% comfortable as a regional sale manager, and definitely not the strongest sales person, it certainly yanked me out of my shell. I am now back in the engineering group but as a sales engineer who directly supports the sales team in the field. I work from home 2300 miles from my boss and when the sales team needs something, I am the guy they call.

So again, I would say do it.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Just do it. Worst that can happen is you don't like it and find another job. Unless the GF is marriage material, don't make your decision based on that relationship (ask me how I know).

·
Premium Member
4,660 Posts
I'm old, so please feel free to IGNORE me.

There's NOTHING wrong with ambition, hard work, and the pursuit of financial "success"

But I'm now in the last chapters of life's story, so it's easy to see in a rear view perspective.

I know some who have it all. Everything that makes life RICH.

I know far more who have far less, even though many consider them rich.

I'll let you guess why I used all caps once, and lower case the other time. One hint: lower case is the monetary version. Lol

At the risk of sounding like a tape recorder, my motto is Only the things that really matter ever matter. And the list is incredibly short!

I'm guessing you have a really good start and it appears LOTS of choices. That's usually a good thing. :)

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,643 Posts
Take it while you're young and can.

I wouldn't be alive if my mas family never got on a boat and came across the Atlantic. I wouldn't be married to a gorgeous great woman if her dad never moved across the province of Ontario.

I am going to push my girls hard to pick up and move where the work is! And not just stick where we live because the cost of living is stupid high.

I think opposite of @snakebitten but I didn't grow up attached to family and still am not.

I myself want to pick up and move across the country for a better outdoor living life and lower cost of living... But my wife doesn't want to uproot the kids. (11 and 9).

Take chances while you're young.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
I’m with Snake. There is no more to be had than a close relationship with your family. That doesn’t necessarily mean that you live next door to them. That said, the closer you are the more opportunity you will have for those relationships to develop. I could have made more in my life but I certainly would not have more.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Like others have stated, I would jump on it and see where it takes you, and if your girlfriend is serious, it will all work out in the end. I know in my early 20's my girlfriend had the opportunity to work on a cruise ship in Hawaii, I wasn't too happy about it but I didn't want to hold her back even though we were pretty serious, but she decided to do it. A couple years later she came back, we reconnected and have been married almost 10 years now with a little boy. I try to look at situations and ask myself, "do you think you will regret doing/not doing this, and why?" then weigh out your options. It helps me put things in perspective more

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I’ve been reading these all day at work not realizing my mobile worked on here. There is a ton of great advice on here and I want to start by saying thank you to all of you who have commented so far!

I guess the thing I gotta keep in mind is to me this is temporary. If the company decides to move foreword with this option it would be up to 7 years if I chose to go that long. Generally speaking they expect a year or two.

In my mind that would give me a really good head start in life that would allow me to settle down with stability later on. At this point in my life I want to end up in KC. It’s where 90% of my family lives and I think I want to as well.

My girlfriend and I are pretty serious at this point (coming up on 2 years soon) but we are already planning on doing some long distance as she is working on her doctorate and there is no work that I would want to do in the town she’s going to school in. To some extent 100 miles or 1000 miles like currently (she’s from Georgia) it’s all long distance.

Leaving home would be hard as I’m down to my last grandparent however we talked about the opportunity and I think he wanted me to take it.

At this point I’m just rambling... figuring your life out kinda sucks

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I do think I would regret not doing it just because I miss being on job sites like I was when I was a brick layer. Idk though.... the money is a temptation too lol
@snakebitten what part of Texas are you in?

·
Premium Member
4,660 Posts
Coastal area. Small town rural area, but we can eat in Galveston, or see a movie in Webster-Seabrook-Bay Area, or play little league game in Friendswood.

Basically Brazoria County Texas

Don't read too much into anything I had to say. In fact, I actually didn't even type the word "family"!

But I'm such a blabbermouth around here that obviously these fellas knew what I was saying. Lol

To reiterate but with different wording...... Nothing wrong with money or business success. It's all about where on the list of priorities it resides.

Or how my mom put it when we were kids ourself: "You can just about have anything you want in this crazy world if you want it bad enough. How bad you want it counts more than having it". (I paraphrased)

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Haha I think I understood based on conversations we’ve had in here before lol!

It’s just a lot to think of and through. Lol I never imagined this much life advice from a group of guys off of an internet truck forum! Y’all are the best!
@snakebitten I was asking because one of the big projects they’ve mentioned me going down to is in chambers county not too far from y’all!

·
Premium Member
4,660 Posts
If you come, Dinner is on me!

Warning though, a "County" in Texas can be a small state. :)

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Haha if I’m down there I’ll definitely take you up on that!

I’d be near mont Belvieu tx so idk how far that is haha.

I’ll definitely keep y’all posted on where I go from here. I still have 6 months of school before I graduate so thankfully I don’t have to decide immediately.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Haha I’m in the same boat as you but opposite direction! Im from Texas currently in KC working for Kiewit at the Lenexa office. As a recent grad I can tell you it’s hard to move away from your loved ones, but follow the money while you’re young, the experience I’m gaining right now is priceless.

PS: kiewit is hiring college grads like crazy right now, with your internship experience I’d highly recommend applying, it’s always nice to have multiple offer letters for pay negotiation.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Haha I’m in the same boat as you but opposite direction! Im from Texas currently in KC working for Kiewit at the Lenexa office. As a recent grad I can tell you it’s hard to move away from your loved ones, but follow the money while you’re young, the experience I’m gaining right now is priceless.

PS: kiewit is hiring college grads like crazy right now, with your internship experience I’d highly recommend applying, it’s always nice to have multiple offer letters for pay negotiation.

Lol it's a small world! I am from Shawnee working OGC at Burns and McDonnell. So are you over at the Renner Campus then?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Lol it's a small world! I am from Shawnee working OGC at Burns and McDonnell. So are you over at the Renner Campus then?
Yep, at the shiny new building kiewit just built beside the lifetime fitness. I live right in front of Shawnee Mission Park haha. Like I said kiewit is hiring like crazy right now and the office is in your backyard. When they send us off to the field they pay for a flight back home every other weekend so it’s a pretty sweet gig.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
@david3.5 Holy cow I just can’t get over how small the world is! I’ll have to take a look at Keiwit and their resume guidelines, is engineering firms are all fantastic! Idk how established you are in kc but I’d be happy to buy you a beer sometime as a welcome to the midwest

·
Registered
24 Posts
@david3.5 Holy cow I just can’t get over how small the world is! I’ll have to take a look at Keiwit and their resume guidelines, is engineering firms are all fantastic! Idk how established you are in kc but I’d be happy to buy you a beer sometime as a welcome to the midwest
A beer would be sweet, I just moved here a little over a month ago! Other than the naders I really like it here, the people are nice and it doesn’t get anywhere near as hot as it does back home. Unfortunately my time here is pretty short, I leave to go to site in Ohio for a project we’re building out there in 2 weeks.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts