F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, what transmission do we have in our truck? I have been trying to find the exact part number and description on line but have had no luck. Thanks for the info guys.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Not sure if it's any haelp but I read somewhere it was out of an f250.

·
Registered
373 Posts

·
Registered
7,394 Posts
From what I read, the super duty trucks have a 6R140 while the ecoboost has a 6R80. Not sure if the older super duty had the 80 but the new models have a different tranny.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I would say rated to 1000 rhp is good enough for me!:)

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Guys, horsepower doesn't break transmissions. Torque breaks transmissions. There is a difference is singing the praises and buying the bullshit. Sing the praises because it is a great transmission but don't buy the bullshit.

·
Registered
7,394 Posts
Guys, horsepower doesn't break transmissions. Torque breaks transmissions. There is a difference is singing the praises and buying the bullshit. Sing the praises because it is a great transmission but don't buy the bullshit.
I wasn't gonna say anything...

But I find it hard to believe that this tranny can take so much power. IIRC there have been documented cases of 6.7s frying trannys, which are much stronger than the ones in the ecoboost.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
I wasn't gonna say anything...

But I find it hard to believe that this tranny can take so much power. IIRC there have been documented cases of 6.7s frying trannys, which are much stronger than the ones in the ecoboost.
You just have remember that the measurement of how much power these engines make is lb/ft not hp. There are 4 banger Civics that may not make much torque at all that can spin up enough rpm to make 1000 hp. They would never break our transmission with THAT 1000 hp but the Powerstroke diesels have yet to come from Ford with 1000 hp but are receiving upgraded transmissions. Ask yourself, If our transmission can handle 1000hp and is used by the Powerstroke Diesel why did they upgrade it to a stronger model? Answer is so that it handle that 800 lb/ft of torque!

There is a quote from 'The Matrix' that was edited out in the final cuts. From when Morpheus was fighting Neo. " Do you think that's horsepower that slams you back into your seat when you hit the gas?" They changed the line to "Do you think that's air you are breathing Neo?". :p

·
Registered
393 Posts
Torque gets you going, horsepower keeps you going.

·
Registered
9,641 Posts

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
The Straight Dope: What's the difference between horsepower and torque?

This is probably the best explanation I've ever seen, but it's a bit long winded. This guy breaks it down to a point where anyone can understand it.
Great article. I'd like to add something that the article didn't say, not directly anyway. Horsepower can't be measured. Horsepower is a derived number. Torque is measured. Torque is independent of horsepower. Horsepower can't be figured out without knowing the torque measurement. Dyno's measure torque and give the derived horsepower figures.

I've actually heard some nincompoop import guy say that he doesn't like torque because it breaks stuff but he'll take all the horsepower he can get.:confused:

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Awesome guys, thank you for the info.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts