F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my first truck last week: 2012 F-150, 3.5L EB, 2WD, 3.55 gearing, w/ 71k miles on it. So far I love it, but I'm concerned with the gas mileage I've been getting. Im averaging 14.8 mpg over the 300 miles I've put on it so far. 80% highway miles without towing or hauling anything. As far as my driving habits, I've been light on the pedal and generally keep my revs below 2500 rpm. Is there anything I should address in terms of maintenance that could get me to within the listed range for gas mileage (15/22)?

·
Premium Member
4,079 Posts
Along with Miles suggestions, with the remaining fuel in your tank, drive the truck hard when you have the chance. Really get on it from time to time. Then, when it's time to fill-up again, refuel with the highest octane premium fuel and go back to your normal light driving.
With these changes, you "should" be city driving between 15/17mpg and highway driving between 18/20.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hi, all good comments and may I add........
The first thing to do in buying a used vehicle is a thorough check and tune-up. At 70k miles, I would surely change the plugs - making sure to get the correct ones and gap them accordingly. Change out the air filter (love K&N) and radiator fluid. Oil changes are near and dear to me......... change out the oil and get a good quality filter. After witnessing the test motors when I was with Mobil in the mid '70s, I highly recommend Mobil 1. Dang, even after severe testing you could wipe off the inside of the block and eat off it!

The other issue is determining mileage. The only reasonable and sure way for us to do that is to go to your favorite station (Mobil or ExxonMobil) and fill up. When the pump stops on auto, manually fill two more times until it turns off. Record your "start mileage" and drive away.

At the next few fills, go to the same station, fill the same way as described above, and record you odometer and gallons pumped. After 3 or 4 fills, a fairly accurate MPG calculation can be made.

OK, I confess.... I'm a retired financial analyst who actually records each fill on a spreadsheet and can spot check mileage on my vehicles. I was especially amazed at how my previous 2011 V6 Escape was averaging 18 mpg in normal daily driving, but while taking 1100 mile trips to/from Chicago it jumped to 25-26 mpg.

Given what you are driving, my view is 14 is too low for normal MT truck driving, and would look more towards 16-18 mpg.

For what its worth..............

·
Registered
355 Posts
I bought my first truck last week: 2012 F-150, 3.5L EB, 2WD, 3.55 gearing, w/ 71k miles on it. So far I love it, but I'm concerned with the gas mileage I've been getting. Im averaging 14.8 mpg over the 300 miles I've put on it so far. 80% highway miles without towing or hauling anything. As far as my driving habits, I've been light on the pedal and generally keep my revs below 2500 rpm. Is there anything I should address in terms of maintenance that could get me to within the listed range for gas mileage (15/22)?
Congrats on your new ride! These trucks are great, but as mentioned have a few items to stay on top of that don't necessarily agree with Ford's guidelines. #1 thing is to change your plugs, use the Motorcraft SP534 and it's worth checking the gap on them - factory gap on these plugs can be all over the place. New spec is .030".

As with any used vehicle, a fresh air filter is a good idea if you don't know when it was changed. We recommend a FULL synthetic 5w30 oil such as Mobil 1 or Motorcraft Full Synth. Personally I use full synth on all of my vehicles, but this is especially important on these direct injection motors because they have oil dilution issues - where fuel makes it into the oil and dilutes it, decreasing the lubricating properties of the oil. Full synthetic oil holds up much better in these situations.

For me, any amount of driving in town kills the mileage. I can get 19-20 on the highway at 70MPH, but if I do 50-100 miles in town or in traffic on the same tank, it will drop down closer to 16. I run 92 octane and on the stock tune I saw a slight bump in fuel economy over 87, not sure if it's enough to pay for the cost difference. I am also running a tune so I am OK with paying a little extra for better performance.

Another thing to keep in mind with this motor is that you don't have to rev it high to use a lot of fuel. Because of the small twin turbos, these motors produce boost at very low RPM, and if you're even a little aggressive with the throttle at these lower RPM ranges, you're still dumping in a fair amount of fuel.

Finally, do you know if the truck was used for towing in its past life? It may be worth changing the rear differential fluid since you likely don't know the condition of it. This probably won't affect mileage at all but would just be good insurance in case the prior owner towed a lot. Ford calls it a 'lifetime' fluid (150k mile interval) but most people who tow change it at 30-50k intervals.

·
Registered
18 Posts
One thing that is a big contributor to fuel mileage is tire size. If the tires are larger than factory specified that will have a huge impact on 'calculated fuel mileage' if the speedo hasn't been corrected. Compare the tire's actual size to what's specified on the door jam sticker.

I'd also like to comment on the use of high-octane fuel as a means gain fuel economy is, financially, self-defeating. The cost delta between 87 and 92 octane fuel more than eats up any potential gain in mileage. If the goal is to spend less on fuel - stick with 87-octane fuel.

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
Congrats on the ride. I agree with Miles, plugs plugs plugs. They are the most looked over thing on these engines and they solve a lot of problems with mileage and power. The original plugs were gapped poorly and in most cases incorrectly.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Better trade it in and avoid a bunch of issues to come.

Just kidding, I'd check the plugs as mentioned and change the fuel and air filter. 14.8mpg is on the low end for sure. My 2016 XLT SCrew 3.5L 4x4 is getting 17.5mpg city with no highway. Gets 21mpg on the highway.

·
Registered
6,067 Posts
Did you get a message to FAQ in your inbox upon first logging in OP? Just curious.

You got a couple AZ people on here, a race shop and a parts vendor. Good luck.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts