F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
6,022 Posts
I’ve used those pliers many times. I’ve upholstered a few of my classic cars with kits that companies make OEM Looking covers. No velour diamond tuck in my classic car if you know what that is. Ha ha.

On my 99 F150 seat bottom it didn’t use hog rings. Hard to explain but it used a plastic piece sewed on the fabric that had a slot in it. You would pull it tight and slide it on a metal tab of the seat frame. Easiest seat I’ve ever done.

These newer trucks have plastic rails, for lack of better description, sewn into the seat skins then plastic clips glued in the foam that they clip into so no hog rings with the newer trucks. Sounds kind of similar to what you found in your older truck.

I installed my lariat take out leathers myself and actually really enjoyed the process, but have to be careful otherwise you can rip the plastic clips out of the foam out of the seat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,022 Posts
Looks great Fatmonk8.
I’m usually not a fan of light colored seats but man it works very well with your interior!
I always thought black seats with that interior looks funny.

Reactions: fatmonk8

·
Premium Member
2015 Lariat 4WD
810 Posts
I have done a few fleet vehicle seats, it is a pain in the, but is not that difficult. Of course it was just swapping out the covers, as opposed to actually manufacturing the pieces to swap in.

Crown Victoria's are just as you described, plastic rails and clips. Dodge Chargers are a bit different, but not anything that is not on par with the same.

One of these days I will tackle the non working seat heaters and this will involve peeling back the leather. We shall see.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Looks really good fatmonk8! Actually have a set saved for my 18 XLT in Ebay watch list. Recovered a pair of Subaru Impreza seats in leather a few years back. So I would be willing to dive right in and install myself. Just have to take your time. Lots of square yards inside a F150!

·
Registered
448 Posts
My '11 had cloth when we found it at the dealer... it was then 2012 so they made us a good deal and we negotiated an upgrade to leather seats with heat... they sent the truck down the road and it came back with Katskins. They have held up so well, I recently dropped the coin to have my wife's '98 4 runner redone with them along with adding seat heaters.

The quality of their "covers" is superb. Based on my research and experience, the only way you are installing them yourself is if you can get your hands on a set... they only officially sell through installers and outfitters.

The set for the 4runner came in and the "tan" color was way off, the local installer I was using got another set ordered (after producing a book of color swatches this time) and they are a perfect match to the worn out seats we were replacing... struck up a conversation with the guy and he informed me that Katskin has pretty terrible customer service and refused to take any responsibility in the matter. They ate the cost of the new covers... said he could recoup by reselling them, so I guess that's one way you could get a set to DIY.

Anyone going this route, I'd suggest you take the time to find an installer who will show you all the color options available along with stitching, custom embroidery (such as the branding seen in a couple examples above.) My only regret with the 4runner is that we didnt take an opportunity to switch things up and match a darker brown in the interior.

·
Registered
2018 XL Supercab 2.7l 4wd
40 Posts
I bought my 2018 used and he must have been a big guy...my seat was broken down and the truck only had 25k miles.
Not only did I do the Katzkin covers, but bought all new foam. I now sit higher and have a ton of support.
You can get the covers on Ebay. The kit was about $600. Mine look great but it was slightly difficult and frustrating! Any wrinkles disappeared pretty quickly. I highly suggest new foam if you have many miles and are doing the covers.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
My '11 had cloth when we found it at the dealer... it was then 2012 so they made us a good deal and we negotiated an upgrade to leather seats with heat... they sent the truck down the road and it came back with Katskins. They have held up so well, I recently dropped the coin to have my wife's '98 4 runner redone with them along with adding seat heaters.

The quality of their "covers" is superb. Based on my research and experience, the only way you are installing them yourself is if you can get your hands on a set... they only officially sell through installers and outfitters.

The set for the 4runner came in and the "tan" color was way off, the local installer I was using got another set ordered (after producing a book of color swatches this time) and they are a perfect match to the worn out seats we were replacing... struck up a conversation with the guy and he informed me that Katskin has pretty terrible customer service and refused to take any responsibility in the matter. They ate the cost of the new covers... said he could recoup by reselling them, so I guess that's one way you could get a set to DIY.

Anyone going this route, I'd suggest you take the time to find an installer who will show you all the color options available along with stitching, custom embroidery (such as the branding seen in a couple examples above.) My only regret with the 4runner is that we didnt take an opportunity to switch things up and match a darker brown in the interior.
Yeah, the tan color of the katzkins I got is definitely lighter then the tan of my OEM interior. But it's not enough for me to care personally.

But definitely good advice for people that really want that 100% OEM look.

·
Registered
448 Posts
It didn’t match anything in the 4Runner which is “oak” kind of a tan color... when ordering I put it on the installer to make sure it was a match so they made it right in the end... originally they said I could have tan, grey, or black... when I said “don’t install these, they don’t match...” a magic booklet with probably 50 colors was produced for me to select from.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I bought my 2018 used and he must have been a big guy...my seat was broken down and the truck only had 25k miles.
Not only did I do the Katzkin covers, but bought all new foam. I now sit higher and have a ton of support.
You can get the covers on Ebay. The kit was about $600. Mine look great but it was slightly difficult and frustrating! Any wrinkles disappeared pretty quickly. I highly suggest new foam if you have many miles and are doing the covers.

View attachment 173416
Where’d you get the foam from?

41 - 52 of 52 Posts