F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have not tried to install yet, but I did measure the ball height. Andersen states to set the ball 1 to 1/2 inches above trailer coupler height when level. I have a 4" drop / rise draw bar. If I set the ball at the highest setting with the draw bar in the drop position, the ball is only 1/2" higher than the coupler. If I reverse the draw bar and set it up in the rise position the ball is more than 2" over the ball height.

I'll get down and dirty tonight to check it all out and try to install, but is there anyone out there with an FX4 4x4 Ecoboost who uses the Andersen and can offer some advice?

Thanks, and I'll post pics and impressions later....

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
No fx4 but I do have experience with the Andersen. I followed the directions and ended up lowering it one more hole. I have the Max Tow package and the suspension and tires took the load better than most applications so it had less sag than the average truck. I would lean to the lower option and adjust from there if needed.

SPPD

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Also, you never wanna be nose high on a trailer. If you can't be perfectly level, slightly nose low is where you wanna be.

SPPD

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
One last point. The Andersen applies more anti sway the higher the tongue weight so being nose low is better than nose high which will reduce your anti sway potential.

SPPD

Reactions: Raiderfan1890

·
Registered
943 Posts
Your truck will sag some as you put the trailer weight on it. After it is hooked up you will want to raise the the truck and trailer up and then put tension on the chains. I would try the 2" and see where you end up after the trailer is hooked up. Be sure and measure both front and rear wheel wells for level before and after you are hooked up. Keep us posted on how you come out.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
After work I got busy hitching up. I could not put the brackets far enough back to get tension on the chains. There are some hooks that hold the safety chains (not sure what to call them) that got in the way of the bottom bracket bolt. I added a quicklink and now i have plenty of tension. I don't have it all dialed in yet but i can already tell it rides better than with my cheapo Pro Series WDH. Tomorrow i will mess with it some more. My front fender is about an inch higher than when unhitched with about 8 threads showing. I may try flipping the draw bar to raise the ball some to see what happens. Here is a pic of the bracket with too much slack before adding the quicklink and moving it back. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398220260.427433.jpg . Here is a pic from farther back too. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398220531.887389.jpg . I will write more later. Tomorrow i tow 700 miles.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Looks pretty good to me. I think I would jack it up and put a little more tension on the chains just to see how it works.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes. Tomorrow I will load the trailer and try to dial it in some more. I still need to put a 950# Harley in the back. That should take some weight off the tongue.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Back from my trip to New Orleans. I must say that I'm pretty happy with the Andersen. I ended up leaving the drawbar facing down with the ball mount in the top holes. Had I flipped the draw bar up and put the ball at the lowest setting I think the nose on the trailer would have been too high. The truck and trailer felt very connected with no sway. Only drawback is it didn't feel like It transferred enough weight to the front axel, but I did not weigh. Truck felt like it wandered side to side a bit, but not too badly. Anyway, those are my initial thoughts.
Untitled by oneboltzfan, on Flickr

·
Registered
943 Posts
I think you need to jack up the truck and trailer and tighten the chains another half turn or maybr a whole turn. Try and see if that doesn't transfer the weight more.

·
Registered
943 Posts
How many threads can be showing? I'm at 9 showing now.
I don't go by number of threads. I measure how much is showing beyond the nut I do 1 inch on each side.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Try moving your brackets a little further back on the frame. Also your trailer looks a bit too nose low. You may want to raise the ball up a little. Once you get it all dialed in you are really gonna like the way the Andersen pulls.

SPPD

1 - 15 of 15 Posts