F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Welcome Happy Camper!

I have used a K&N in every vehicle I have ever owned, and will in the EcoBeast as well. I am sure someone on here will chime in with their opinion on them in the Eco.

SPPD

·
Premium Member
2,427 Posts
I went with the open CAI instead of doing the k&n I've done in other vehicles as well. I can't remember where the article was but it was a dyno chart and they had a dramatic drop off with an enclosed air box vs an open air box.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I went with the open CAI instead of doing the k&n I've done in other vehicles as well. I can't remember where the article was but it was a dyno chart and they had a dramatic drop off with an enclosed air box vs an open air box.
I bet that article was somewhere in relation to an advertising for a manufacture or retailer who sales CAI aftermarket products...LOL!!

If it were me with a new truck (and it is). I would run the OEM Ford paper filter until it is time for the need to replace it. I don't think you will find any true gains to be had with a drop in KN filter. Only future savings in not having to purchase future air filters when it gets dirty.

If you do go with the KN filter, when you find the need to clean it, make sure it has dried well before you re-oil it. Don't over oil it and wipe it with a clean cloth to remove any excess oil from the filter before you reinstall the KN.

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Have replaced the original air filter with K&N since the one in the new 88 Taurus (our first Ford). Same filter went through the 95 that replaced it but the 02 got a new one when its original came due. Wife's Edge got one at 10,000 miles and so will the Ecobeast. Didn't see an advantage but definately liked running that first one through 2 cars!

·
Premium Member
2,427 Posts
I believe it was a 5 star tuning dyno article or an LMS dyno article. Both sell intakes on their sites but neither is a manufacturer. There's no denying an open box allows more air intake than an enclosed box. Real power gain may be debatable, though.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I currently have the drop in filter and have no complaints. Hard to tell if there is a power difference but the truck runs great and before the lift and tires the mileage had improved over stock.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I'm running the AEM drop in Dry Flow filter as of yesterday. I have been running the Injen CAI for the last 5000 miles or so. Besides a noise difference i can honestly say i feel no difference in power between the 2. Go to full-race.com and read about there Freak-O-Boost.

·
Registered
4 Posts
K&N Filter

Has anybody tried K&N air filter yet?
Bought My Ecoboost on Friday.. love it, drove 250 miles on the HWY at about 80 MPH. got 16.3 MPG. Put a K&N in and drove back same speed and got 17.9 MPG on the return trip.. no HP gains that I have noticed as of yet.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Bought My Ecoboost on Friday.. love it, drove 250 miles on the HWY at about 80 MPH. got 16.3 MPG. Put a K&N in and drove back same speed and got 17.9 MPG on the return trip.. no HP gains that I have noticed as of yet.
Welcome to the Forum and ownership of the Ecoboost, good to have someone new aboard.

Let's see, your in El Paso, drove 250 miles one way, I'm guessing that the scenery out in west Texas didn't change too much the entire drive...LOL

·
Registered
9 Posts
K&N Cold Air Intake System arrives tomorrow. Installing Tuesday 7-16. I have used the Cold Air on two other vehicles including my 2011 5.0 FX-4 SCREW. I'm a believer. There is a difference.

·
Registered
868 Posts
i have just the drop in K&N filter replacing the paper factory one and didnt really see or notice any difference but i think i can hear a slight increase in turbo whine at take-off right before the air noise drowns it out.
i have had other CAI's and actually felt i gained some top end but lost a little bottom end torque.
i dont think i will invest $400 on a CAI for the eco until i really need all the extra air after tuning which will be a long time from now.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I replaced the stock air filter with a K&N filter a little over 1500 miles ago. Have not noticed a major difference in mileage or power ! I pull a 30ft travel trailer with no problems, just returned from a 1250 miles trip to Oregon and
Washington up on I-5 returned on Hwy 1. I have been using K&N air filters on all my vehicles for many years
and am very satisfied with the product !

2012 F150 Eco Boost, Lariat, FX4 Off road, Supercrew, Max Tow, 4x4 with 20" factory wheels.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Would be interested if any of you guys with the K&N's or like do an oil analysis and then post results of any silicon (dirt) in the sample compared to the OEM or OEM like paper filter.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I see many topics and post on the topic of drop in K&N filers vs the stock.

I own a 13 Explorer Sport twin turbos with original filter.

I recently added a 14 f150 platinum Eco to the family and wanted to know if I should add a K&N or do they contaminate the turbos and break stuff or have they been safe for people. Also the truck only has 130 miles on it now.

I will be just driving this truck on roads no for construction or off roading.

Thank you!

·
Registered
5,370 Posts
It will not hurt. I have an oiled S&B CAI. Bcz pretty!
If you haven't seen any threads on catch cans yet, I'd search and decide if you think it's necessary for yourself or not. If I were in a new truck that's the first thing I'd do
Also welcome. Nice rides, post pics!

Fired from the other forum......twice

·
Registered
14 Posts
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1400936356.686069.jpg

Here the Platinum however I'm not home to take a picture of the Sport and don't have one on my new phone. I'll upload one tonight tho for you.

Thank you for replying and letting me know, I read horrid reviews on people's turbos going out and thought, "oh my" mine better not.. Ha ha

Also here my good gas mileage vehicle

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1400936772.787975.jpg

And Thank you!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
About this Discussion
18 Replies
14 Participants
tabor0715
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing